XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 XJ 6: Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '86 XJ 6: Update

Rain stopped so I installed a new set of NGK platinum plugs; car started right up but still had a bad miss, like more than one dead cylinder. It would not idle without some throttle. I stopped it, took off the dist cap, and scraped the contacts of some black stuff, and scraped the rotor tip; cleaned the outside of the cap, reinstalled, and she started up and idled on her own for the first time. Still had one dead cylinder: identified as #3 by pulling injector harness plugs, so either no fuel or no spark at #3. I let her idle a few mins with no change, then shut down and looked at #3 ignition wire at distributor, and found nothing wrong. On attempted restart she would try to hit but not restart, either with throttle on or off. Hummmnnnn... maybe more than one issue. Owner passed away in May 2011 and the car may have been giving problems before then. But, it may be out of gas, so I'll get another 5 gallon can and try again.
Oh, I almost forgot: the buzzer issue seems to have resolved: when I take the key out the buzzer stops now.
The saga continues.
Sub-update: I tried it again, started and idled, but with #3 still dropped out. I will get a noid light and check the pulse, but the injector may be bad. No doubt it might be the ignition cap or lead as well. I know where a couple of these cas are in the U-pull; I am going to see if there are any injectors left and get some. I might get a good one or two.

Last edited by Wascator; 05-16-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added info