XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default got some questions

Well I decided to stop dumping money into my jeep and give the jag some love and I've got some questions. First off, the windshield wiper lever on steering column is broke and the blinker one is bent down. Does anyone make replacements for these? Next is I had to have the keys to the ignition made and the locksmith tore apart the steering column and broke a few things, the tumbler I can pull right out and the white piece that goes Inside from the back is loose causing the car to completely die sometimes. Is there a way to fix it or do I have to get a new one? Thanks in advance guys!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by 82jaguarxj6
Well I decided to stop dumping money into my jeep and give the jag some love and I've got some questions. First off, the windshield wiper lever on steering column is broke and the blinker one is bent down. Does anyone make replacements for these?

Would be surprised if they're still available new from any of the usual Jag suppliers. For used, try David Boger at Everyday XJ everydayxj.com I think

Next is I had to have the keys to the ignition made and the locksmith tore apart the steering column and broke a few things, the tumbler I can pull right out

Not sure how to fix that

and the white piece that goes Inside from the back

The ignition switch.....

is loose causing the car to completely die sometimes. Is there a way to fix it or do I have to get a new one?

....is held in by a *tiny* screw. Ir probably got lost. Heck, find another tiny screw or jury-rig some method of holding the switch securely onto the back of the lock cylinder

Cheers
DD

Old 05-15-2013, 12:24 AM

thanks again doug! and the ignition switch i can make stay inside the whole assembly, but its the switch itself that causes it. the 2 halfs are loose causing a bad connection. is the tiny screw holding the two peices together or holding the switch to the back of the assembly?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would also suggest everyday xj, but also right know I noticed a couple guys on this forum parting out their series III cars, maybe get ahold of them for the parts you need.
I hope that locksmith gave you one heck of a discount for jacking up your car... I would be irate. sorry to hear about that man.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 PM

thanks, and i didnt have to pay for anything. on another note, i tried starting it today. hooked up some jumper cables to the dead battery and my truck. the lights and everything come on but it barely turns over and i get a clicking sound. i now i should get a new battery, but also does this sound like a starter problem? thanks for the help guys!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Possibly a starter, yes, but make sure the battery cables are clean, the starter connections are clean, and the main ground strap connection is clean. The main ground is under the car, right side, about where the engine and trans come together

Cheers
DD

Old 05-16-2013, 11:09 PM

Alright ill check them all tomorrow and clean the ground. A completely dead garbage batter would also cause this yes? Not holding a charge from a dead cell?

Old 05-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

a good strong battery is real important in these cars, a lot more so than any other car I've ever had. they love as much juice as they can get, buy the biggest battery you can, it will help a lot, also make sure you're getting a good charge off your alternator, tight belt and what not. it takes a lot just to turn these guys over, you don't want to stress out your starter with a week battery or dirty connections. shoot, any time you're board you can just clean a few terminals hah you'll never be board again!