XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 XJ6: Carbon Canister

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '86 XJ6: Carbon Canister

Got her running well enough to make a 40 mile round trip this morning; unfortunately the inspection station was unexpectedly closed so I did not get a replacement sticker (expired in 2009).
Anyway, I have run enough to notice the vacuum whoosh when opening the fuel tank fill caps. I have read that it could be the purge check valve; OK, I'll work on it. Looking under the RF fender well, the bottom of the carbon canister is coming off and spilling carbon particles, but the hoses are all intact. What can I do about repairing or replacing the canister? As all cars have a similar system, are there any know substitutes?
Meanwhile, I will open the gas caps whenever I stop. I won't be driving it much and only a few miles < 50 at a trip, so no big burden short-term.

Waiting on rear brake pads (ordered the Ferodo), and flushed the rear calipers Friday evening. I also removed and cleaned the reservoir. Someone spilled brake fluid on the inner fender at some time in the past and it has removed the paint, leaving rust. I gotta treat and paint this! I hate brake fluid.

Many thanks to those who replied to my questions and to all the previous posters whose information has been really helpful to me, a beginning Jaguar guy. Because of their advice, I looked at the rear pads and the lining was almost gone; the discs are good and well above minimum thickness, and there are no signs of leaks, neither brake fluid nor differential lube.

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

The details of correct operation of the cannister/tank vent valves escapes me. Been too long.

However.....

Behind the RF tire, on the fenderwell, you'll see a couple pipes and vacuum valves. One of the valves is situated horizontally with vac hoses running fore and aft. Disconnect the vac hose that runs aft. Your tanks are now vented to atmosphere and you shouldn't have any whoooshes.

Later you can research and actually repair the problem. Or just leave the tanks vented to atmosphere....as more than a few people have done over the years

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Wascator (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carbon Canister Update

I got the canister out this afternoon, while flushing the front calipers. The bottom seemed to be coming unglued and the carbon was coming out, but the parts were all there and I think I can refill and reassemble it.
I checked the purge valve after cleaning it up. It has a smaller tube fitting, labeled "tank" and a larger one labeled "canister". If I suck on the smaller "tank" port, simulating vacuum on the tank, as when the fuel is being removed by the pump, it flows freely (and tastes like gas...); if I blow on it, simulating pressure on the tank, as vapor pressure of gas, it resists at first, like a check valve, then at a certain pressure it relieves suddenly, then resistance returns.
When I removed the valve, there was an outflow of air, as if there were some pressure on the tank. There might have been because both the car and I were out in the sun. The flow was not great and it did not last long.
I drove the car about 35 miles this evening and there were no ill effects that I could notice.

Last edited by Wascator; 05-25-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling