XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Acceleration problems

Ok im stumped but got a couple things left to do before i run out of ideas. 82 xj6 series 3. The car last night stalled when turning a corner, didnt hesitate or choke just sort of died out. These parts are new.....
fuel pump
fuel filter
spark plugs
spark plug wires
battery
alternator
I checked and cleaned the distributor and its good
This is the 3rd fuel filter i put in today over 4 months thinking it was the problem but it is not. This is also the 3rd new fuel pump in the car within 8 months. The car always starts (sometimes cranks about 4 seconds) and idles fine and pretty smooth. As soon as i put it into drive or reverse i notice it lowers the rpm's to around like 600-700 with it also acting like its weaking but will stay running. I can drive around 15mph fine but as soon as i give it some gas to accelerate it is a constant hesitation followed by normal acceleration. I checked all air duct work and there is no leaks and is connected nice and tight. I tested the air flow meter flap and it works. The fuel pump is constantly humming/buzzing loud and can be heard from the driver seat if you listen pretty close. Not sure if the constant noise is normal or it is a sign of a weak pump which by the way is a good bosch pump. I checked and there is not one leak in the car except a minor oil one. I dont understand why it can start and idle fine but cause great hesitation when accelerating. I have not checked fuel pressure since i dont have a gauge but i unhooked a injector hose and cranked and fluid was present. The only things i can think of is a weak pump or just crap in the tank. The last filter i just pulled out although didnt have any unusual color and was clear like gas, seemed fine. Anyone got ideas what i should check that im missing? I might sacrifice some money and just try a new pump. If anyone believes its a sensor or some electrical issue can you tell me how to test, I have equipment to test. I just drove it 2 miles home doing 25 but only faster it hesistates, got a new fuel pump but before I put it in I need advice so I just don't go putting it in and it doesn't help and I don't get to take it back

Last edited by ahunt4; 04-13-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert, but a couple years ago my car was struggling some days to really accelerate and I found it to be the coil pack was dying so I bought a new one for about $50 and my car ran great again. Also just last summer I was having problems with overheating which was causing my engine to turn off(just like you describe) while driving but I noticed it only would die when I would accelerate quickly(high revs, high strain on electrical). So your problem could be electrical.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know the best way to test a ignition coil on a series 3 xj6?