XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accelerator Problem on 1985 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cable with not get "sucked down" he probably floored it & it didnt retract all the way....

check for rust at the cable near the throttle body. Mine is starting to stick. But some good spray like PB Blaster, WD-40 ect will free it up a bit. But eventually it is going to have to be replaced.

If you are having trouble visualizing. The throttle cable is like a brake cable on a bicycle. The cable moves inside the flexible casing. This can & does get dirt & grime inside of it, eventually wearing out the cable. Or get so much dirt in there that it prevents the cable from reacting properly.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I once had my throttle not return when I eased off on my 1980 XJ6 around 1997. Fortunately, in extremis, one can easily switch off the engine, but in my case, I soon found the pedal was rubbing on the side trim panel on the foot compartment, so put my foot underneath the pedal and dragged it back up. I then pulled over and stopped for a "breather" (and how !!).

I had to adjust the pedal a bit by bending it away from the trim, and reseat the trim panel

Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but the image of a rogue Prius instantly sprung to mind when I read this thread haha.

However you say that the accelerator pedal was "sucked down to the floor" and as espresso stated its not really possible unless the cruise control was on and he pressed the button to accelerate with the cruise control. I have done this mistakenly a few times so its not as unlikely as one might think

However if by off chance it was on cruise control its even more unlikely that it happened three times.

Id just say check your pedal and cable and see if anything looks abnormal. If so post some pics and someone may be of help.

Good luck and Cheers

Alex

Old 07-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the cruise control was only active over like 35MPH.

I would be quite worried if you can activate cruise control from a stop. I do not have it, so I am unsure of its operation on the XJ. But every car I have ever worked on with it opertates pretty much like this....

If you activate it say at 60MPH, once you hit the brake it automatically turns off, unless you have a "resume" function to where it will automatically resume cruise speed once it is reached again(meaning the cruise will will return when you reach that 60MPH again..My mercedes had this). BUT that is null & void if you go under the minimum speed the cruise begins working. Because then it will indeed shut off.