Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add a intemittent wiper switch to a S1 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Add a intemittent wiper switch to a S1 XJ

For years I have wanted to add an intermittent wiper switch to my '71 S1 XJ. Hella makes a universal switch kit that I used.

To make it work with a Jag, you discard the Hella hook up information! On my
S1 cars, a Blue/Green wire on the wiper switch controls the HS setting (the Green White wire does the same thing(?). All of the wires that have Green on them are powered on the early Jags and the connection is negative. Trial and
error provided me with a schematic showing how the five wires on the wiper
work with the switch.

To be able to have the intermittent switch and the Jag switch both work, a SPST off on switch capable of handling several AMPS is also required. I used one from Radio Shack that handles 25 AMPS and has the provision to light up.

Due to already having two gauges mounted in my ski slope, I decided to mount the Pot (switch portion of the assembly that was removed off the PCB and (5) wires added so the Switch portion could be installed remotely. The remainder is just tucked into the LH side of the center console after being put back into the easily removed soft Hella plastic cover and the new wires routed through the old switch hole.

The off on switch interrupts the two black wires that goes to the Blue/Green wire on the Jag switch and the other black connected to the switch position where the wire came off of using small spae type connector....12V switched goes to side of the off/on switch not going to the wire itself. This is make sure the Hella relay is not powered unless the key switch is ON. One wire goes to a good ground per Hella.

It works well, but the Jaguar wiper motor arrangement is primitive and the Hella switch will stop the blades at the time selected and they will stop - will not return to Park like a modern auto does today.

Pushing the On/Off button allows the Jag switch to still work in the HS
mode or Low as before.

You can hook it up and see how you like it before mounting it permanently. It is much better than not having the switch at all.

Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
redtriangle (11-22-2021)
Old 08-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

When you operate the wipers normally, don't they park in the correct position automatically?
If so recheck how you've wired the intermittent wipe. you only need to connect to the same "on" wire as the main wiper stalk, as that provides power to the parked segment of the wiper motor, in most cars, and when power is turned off to that section when the wiper gets to the right position it stops/parks.

If they don't park in normal operation then you may have a wiring or wiper motor issue.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:38 AM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default intermittent wiper

Anjum, when the wipers are switched off in early model Jags, the polarity is instantly reversed, so the wipers just go straight to park without completing the full cycle. That is the big problem with trying to use an intermittent wiper module.
Spent a looooong time trying to get one going, didn't succeed.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Pete,
You mean there's no crank mechanism - the motor reverses when the blades get to the end of their travel each wipe cycle?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Default How the Jaguar motor and switch actually works

In a traditional wiper motor installation the motor turns in the same direction. The wiper motor has a park switch that is closed while the motor is NOT is the park position. The motor will run when the low or high speed switch position is selected. When the wiper switch is turned off, 12V is applied through the “park “ switch until the wiper motor returns to the park position where the park switch opens.

The intermittent wiper switch from Hella that I am using varies the off timing and uses an internal relay to connect to the wiper motor circuit. The amount of time the intermittent switch is on is always the same and is designed to get a traditional wiper motor turning off of the park position. If this switch is used to power the wiper motor on high speed, the motor will turn until power is removed and then stop turning immediately. Each time the intermittent switch applies power, the wiper motor will move the same distance. The motor will switch directions as it always has because the wiper motor revering is handled through switches internal to the wiper motor housing.

Because Jaguar uses a reversing motor with the dash switch actually changing the way the motor electrically connects, the traditional way an intermittent control works isn’t applicable. The Jaguar wiper motor uses five wires (Brown, Red, White Black, Blue) to control operation. In low speed operation, the Black and White wires are connected together and 12V is applied to the Red wire. In high speed operation the Black and White wires are again connected together and 12V is applied to the Blue wire. When the switch is turned to the off position the Brown and Red wires are connected together and 12V is applied to the White wire. The reconfiguration of the wiring is accomplished through the dash wiper switch. Notice that the same wires are used for different purposes depending on the dash wiper switch position.

The only way I can see to have the wiper motor park, when using an intermittent switch, would be to install a relay with 5 separate contact sets between the wiper switch and the wiper motor. The purpose of this relay would be to change the normal motor wiring (relay not energized) to the connections needed for high speed wiper operation (relay energized). When this 5 contact relay is energized from the intermittent wiper switch, high speed wiper operation would be turned on. When the intermittent wiper switch times out, the 5 contact relay would be returned wiring to its normal configuration. Wire the intermittent wiper switch so it can only energize when the dash wiper switch is in the “OFF” position. This way the intermittent feature would only work when the dash wiper switch is positioned to off. The low or high positions would work normally.

The addition of the on/off switch only allowed me to have the "normal" Jag switch work and the intermittent action when desired. The intermittent is far from perfect, but a small improvement over the stock Jag wipers.

May add this relay as Phase 2 on my To Do List....

Old 08-30-2012, 07:53 PM

Aaaaghh! Well it's one of the quaint eccentricities of owning an old jag!!

How does the motor know when to stop when swutched off??

How did the delay wipe unit on the series 3 work? intrigued!

Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

why would you want intermittent wipers anyway? all the XJ wiper motors are slow enough anyway, it's a total embarrasment to get caught in a monsoon rain storm and have to get off the road because the wipers can't keep up!

I have been dealing with my XJ wiper motor laziness for over 22 years, I've replaced the motor, I've added relays, same thing, no solution yet.

the problem is the antiquated cable system of the XJ wipers, what is needed is a direct-geared motor but there is no space behind the dash to fit one. Or a hot-rodded 200 horsepower wiper motor, and I've yet to find one.

the irony is that the wipers in my 1965 S type are very fast compared to the XJ wipers and can cope with any hurricane coming at you.

Last edited by Jose; 08-31-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Default Why? ...For light rain use

You are correct, the wipers are terrible. I found out that someone has installed a
Series 3 motor in their Series 1. I just ordered one for my car and the switch from a wrecker.

They are supposed to be "faster" or better than the early motors. Time will tell if that is true when it is installed. I can also service the rack grease at the same time.

Yes, the wiper are another thing that Jaguar did "backwards" from the USA cars. They made fine looking cars, independent suspensions and used disc brakes early on. But, they did not make "good lasting cars" but That might have been their plan?

The wipers are better than their electrical system - bullet connectors? Plus, no mention of where they are actually located in the harnesses? My 1974 Nova SS totally worked after all the years and had no electrical problems but a Jag of that age would be rampant with problems.

Ford corrected a lot of their problems but the good looks is all that continued...

Old 08-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

here's about a short experience I had with a Series 1;

As you can imagine, the FIRST thing I did when sitting in the Series 1 was to spray water in the windshield and run the wipers. They were faster than my Series 3.

yes i've greased the cable in my Series 3, that made the system quieter but no speed help.

another tip I got from a mechanic was to send a few drops of transmission oil down the shaft of each wiper spindle. I didn't noticed any difference, maybe a .0000100 improvement, or else I imagined it, hoping something would happen.

now, if we could get a wiper motor that has 60% more torque and faster speeds, that would resolve the problem, adapting it to the XJ is another story.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Default While we are dreaming - how about other stuff?

Dreams should include a better designed evaporator, AC/heater fans with more air movement and the dreamed about evolved wiper motor/system.

Plus, adjustable front seats that would actually support you with a head rest that would hit the middle of the head of an adult male. Add tilt steering columns to that list as well - why just pull outward?

I can live with the rest of the "problems"....I love my '71 S1 as it is sporty, handles really well with the modern front suspension/tire improvements, will carry four adults and looks great.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Default Fixed the intermittent switch wiring with help

It now works correctly. With help from another Lister it is working fine now.
Makes a good improvement to the Series 1 or any Jaguar without intermittent
wipers.

No Off/On switch is needed with the new wiring method nor any additional
other parts.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM

How did you fix it???
Is this also applicable to a series 2 1977?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
Dreams should include a better designed evaporator, AC/heater fans with more air movement and the dreamed about evolved wiper motor/system. Plus, adjustable front seats that would actually support you with a head rest that would hit the middle of the head of an adult male. Add tilt steering columns to that list as well - why just pull outward?
I can live with the rest of the "problems"....I love my '71 S1 as it is sporty, handles really well with the modern front suspension/tire improvements, will carry four adults and looks great.
Roger you forgot power door mirrors!!

I fullfilled some of those dreams in my '65 S type, installing Series 3 XJ-6 Vanden Plas headrests, power door mirrors and door switch, and center mounted stop lamp. Safety and comfort in today's savage traffic is my idea of driving a classic Jaguar.

Attached Thumbnails Add a intemittent wiper switch to a S1 XJ-1965-s-type.jpg   Add a intemittent wiper switch to a S1 XJ-1965-s-type-rear-headrests.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Default Do not know if it is applicable to a SII

Power mirror switches are not on my wish list as I have very cool XKE mirrors that are period correct and need a wrench to adjust!

The new revised install works by changing my original wiring hookup:

Hook the Hella two black wires to the Brown/Light Green wire on the
Jaguar wiper switch and the other black wire to same switch position the Brown/Light Green wire was attached.

Take terminals 30/31 and 31 to ground on the Hella

12V when On to Terminal 15 on the Hella.

My original Off/On switch was removed totally as the new wiring way
makes it un-necessary. The Hella does not have 12V on the relay unless
the Hella pot switch is ON. The switch hole is now blocked off with a chrome button.

The Jaguar switch still works in the normal manner if the Hella is Off.

Each sweep of the wipers are full sweeps now and it stops near the Park
position after each sweep to the right and then back to the Left side.

Park can be done properly with the Jaguar switch, when done, turn it to OFF and it will Park properly and completely (if it was working before you started to add the Hella switch).

I removed the pot from the Hella case to allow me to add enough wire to
put just the switch inside the LH ash tray.

This is due to already having two gauges in the ski slope. If you do not have those areas filled up, you could add the Hella control within a short reach for ease of use in the ski slope.

Attached Thumbnails Add a intemittent wiper switch to a S1 XJ-lh-ash-tray-wiper-switch.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
anjum (09-09-2012)