XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backfiring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfiring Problem

Hello, My 1982 XJ6 is having some troubles. At some times, it will start normally and I'll drive. However, after a while the RPM will drop and when I press the accelerator it is hesitant and will backfire a few times and eventually return to a normal operation. On some occasions, upon starting the vehicle, it has low RPM and and when I press the accelerator it'l backfire. Anyone have any insight on the matter?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:36 PM
Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

Back firing is normally due to incorrect ignition timing or over fuelling. The fact that it seems to fluctuate may be caused by a failed distributor base plate bearing. Its a long shot but worth checking.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobot1996
Hello, My 1982 XJ6 is having some troubles. At some times, it will start normally and I'll drive. However, after a while the RPM will drop and when I press the accelerator it is hesitant and will backfire a few times and eventually return to a normal operation. On some occasions, upon starting the vehicle, it has low RPM and and when I press the accelerator it'l backfire. Anyone have any insight on the matter?
You have a lean mixture.

Have the injectors ever been replaced. I would start with their replacement
and at the same time replace the fuel hoses.
It should make a difference in performance.

Walter

Old 07-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

By "backfire" do you mean coughing up through the intake (often a lean problem or timing) or blasts through the exhaust (often a rich problem).