XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 86 vanden plas???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying a 86 vanden plas???

I recently got a call from a guy (I detailed his jag) saying he was going to sell his 1986 vanden plas with 86,000 miles on it. He is planning on putting it on the market for $5000 but said i could have it for 2500 since he is a family friend (also it was his uncle and he doesnt want it to go to someone who wont care for it). im having a hard time finding what its actually worth since its an 86 and most of the car sites dont go back that far. the car has new tires, window motor and battery. I know the paint isnt original and that the "new" paint isnt in the best shape and is some what oxidized. the body is completly straight. I know the car has had some electrical issues but he wasnt sure of exactly what. He says the car has nothing wrong with it now. I own a 1995 vanden plas and love that car. I was wondering what your guys opinion on the car is and what it might be worth (i know its hard with limited info Im in Portland oregon and the car is in Washington so I cant go see the car for myself so this is all from memory/ what the seller told me).

Thanks,

Chase

Attached Thumbnails Buying a 86 vanden plas???-img_0194%5B1%5D.jpg   Buying a 86 vanden plas???-img_0191%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 09-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

If you're buying " sight unseen", then you really do need to be supercautious; after all the car may not run at all ! Is there any video of the car running around or just those pics ? Having said that, it doesn't look too bad from what are appalling pics, definition is awful. FWIW, a car like this would be probably OK at your $2500 in the UK being around £1500, but only if you can see, (or get a report on), the car. Our friend would struggle to get $5000, I would think.

Will your family friend scan in some of the service documents for you to look at to back up the claimed work and condition ?

A Series 3 car can be a beguiling thing. I know because I was beguiled for 14 years, but you can spend a fortune fixing various neglected items.

Doug Dwyer will no doubt also comment; he still has a Series 3

Old 09-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
If you're buying " sight unseen", then you really do need to be supercautious; after all the car may not run at all ! Is there any video of the car running around or just those pics ? Having said that, it doesn't look too bad from what are appalling pics, definition is awful. FWIW, a car like this would be probably OK at your $2500 in the UK being around £1500, but only if you can see, (or get a report on), the car. Our friend would struggle to get $5000, I would think.

Will your family friend scan in some of the service documents for you to look at to back up the claimed work and condition ?

A Series 3 car can be a beguiling thing. I know because I was beguiled for 14 years, but you can spend a fortune fixing various neglected items.

I drove the car when I detailed it. It has been about a year since then. I know the car runs tho. Im kind of leaning to not buying it tho just due to timeing. although i might ask if it hasent sold by the time im back where the car is to see if i can see it then and reevaluate. Thanks for the response.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

the car looks good and assuming it is in 95% working order, no issues except minor, leather is extra fine, paint is extra fine, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera, $2,500. is an excellent price.

prices for these cars in the West Coast are higher than the rest of the country. The color of the car is also a rare color, that could have been Doug's car. From Oregon to Washington is what, 25 minutes? :-)) I would hitchhike and go get it. You could probably resell it for $3600.00 further South. But ask questions: any rust? any driveability problems? is the interior leather damaged? does the a/c work? any overheating? ....ask and ask ad infinitum. ad nauseum.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell

I wish :-). Sold mine a few years ago and miss it every day. One day I'll buy another. What a great car it was !

Cheers
DD

Old 09-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
the car looks good and assuming it is in 95% working order, no issues except minor, leather is extra fine, paint is extra fine, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera, $2,500. is an excellent price.

prices for these cars in the West Coast are higher than the rest of the country. The color of the car is also a rare color, that could have been Doug's car. From Oregon to Washington is what, 25 minutes? :-)) I would hitchhike and go get it. You could probably resell it for $3600.00 further South. But ask questions: any rust? any driveability problems? is the interior leather damaged? does the a/c work? any overheating? ....ask and ask ad infinitum. ad nauseum.

It does look like the same color as mine: Crimson. But mine was a standard XJ6, not a VDP....and had grey interior.....which made for a rather unusual combination

Cheers
DD

Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a S III that I bought for AU$5000 which runs well despite having to put in a new starter moter and a few bits and bobs. Car in Australia tend to be more expensive than the US....but to me it sounds like a sweet deal. And they are simply a fantastic edition....a pleasure to drive....and just to look at. Mine is 'Cranberry'... but appears the same. I will have to find the exact paint code prior to repaint. Let us know how you go!!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
It does look like the same color as mine: Crimson. But mine was a standard XJ6, not a VDP....and had grey interior.....which made for a rather unusual combination Cheers DD
a VDP is the same car as a Standard XJ6, the only difference is a few interior appointments that are more luxurious, like the carpeting is wool, the leather color is different, the rear seat done as two semi-bucket seats, it has "reading" lights in the front and rear, so you can read the newspaper as you drive, it also has a 5,000 BTU refrigerator in the trunk/boot so you can keep your grey-poupon at a safe temperature. The headliner is wool too. AND, if that wasn't enough, it comes with a platinum Vanden Plas emblem securely attached to the boot lid. $2,500.00 ??? send me this guy's phone number, I'll buy it.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:28 PM
ROD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Chase,

I'm in Canada and after looking for a while, and some hard negotiation, I got an 86 VDP for $5000 just over a year ago. The main thing for me was no rust, VDP, 12 cyl, the colors I wanted (inside and out), and 86 (Hagerty insurance after 25 years, no emissions in Canada 87 and earlier). So far, I've spent another $5000 on front and rear suspension, springs, bushings, etc. but I don't mind it because I figured a GOOD stock VDP should be worth around $10,000. I'm still in reasonable territory.

Be clear on your musts, and do not compromise.
Good color combination? (edit: Pics look nice! I assume you'd be happy to look at it every day, and you could easily sell if you break up with it. It's not a tough color combination to find a buyer for)
Rust in structural areas? (I don't even talk to rust)

I think $2500 is a no brainer.... IF you like your starting point and are willing to spend on fixing stuff which people here will help you do.

Good luck.

ROD

Last edited by ROD; 09-25-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2 cents since I believe I've got pretty much the same car, '86 VdP, Cranberry, etc...
$2500 sounds like a hell of a deal to me provided you know the car and it runs reasonably well, and there is little to no rust. The cars are fairly easy to work on if something needs attention. I drive mine daily and once I sorted a couple of things in the beginning, it has been very reliable and not every left me stranded.

Sounds like this may not be the best time for you to be buying a car, which I can sympathize with, but if you can afford it, I'd say go for it. If you can't then help the guy out and post his car on here for sale. Someone should get it.

Eric