Sponsored by:

Call to DFW/Central Texas Mechanics - Possible Great Deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Call to DFW/Central Texas Mechanics - Possible Great Deal

I was just looking around CL for Jaguar parts and found this little gem:
1986 Jaguar XJ6

Unfortunately no photos of the engine bay but if was cared for as it appears the interior and exterior body were, it looks like it might be a great deal. I'm supposing there is theoretically a way to electrically bypass the key in the ignition in order to cause the ignition to crank and start the car, though I admit I do not not how to perform something like that (in effect, hotwiring the car). But someone who knew how to could at least bring some gas and a battery and see if the thing cranked.

Then again, you might have to bring this person's 1400 price down to a bit more reasonable level for all the effort.

At the moment, with summer approaching and front suspension and AC issues on my own XJ6, I'm hardly looking for more to take on.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, it isn't in my budget and a fur piece anyway. But, temptation always lurks. I guess the best example is Cote de Pablo's version sung in a Morrocan cabaret as NCIS' Ziva. Woweee!!

Hot wiring an SIII is easy. But, that will not defeat the steering lock and allow the beast to be driven.

Two jumper wires needed. No, not the big battery jumpers, just smaller ones. Connect battery + post to the + post on the coil. Probably marked with an +.
Connect Battery + to the small wire on the starter. The latter will activate the starter solenoid and the engine should crank.

Most mechanics tool chests include a jump wire with seitch to enable crank while working under the bonnet.

If it has been dormant for a time, it might take a bit for the fuel pump to charge the injector rail.

And, a shot of starting fluid, "ether' will determine if the engine will run. If it is decent, it will fire up.

If poor ignition or poor compression, probably not.

Did it drive in or come in on flatbed???

Carl