XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get to dash gauges by taking top dash pad off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Can I get to dash gauges by taking top dash pad off?

That's the question. Getting ready to pull the gauges out again to put in LEDs and change the bezels to chrome. My old finger joints are getting a bit stiff and it's pretty hard to reach in the big holes and get a good enough grip on the knurled knobs to get the little gauges out.

Top dash pad is described as pretty easy to take off. Set of screws on the end caps and a row of screws under the pad along the dash board. Would that make it easier to access the gauges?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 07-31-2015, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

You can in a Series II; in fact, I find it's the easiest way.
(';')

Old 07-31-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
You can in a Series II; in fact, I find it's the easiest way.
(';')
Thank you! Will give it a try tomorrow and let you know if that works in a SIII

Old 07-31-2015, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

in the Series 3 XJ, you can push-in and then turn the speedo and tach clockwise or counterclockwise to remove them, but you cannot get to the other gauges by removing the dash cap.

once you remove the speedo and tach, you can get your hand through the holes and reach the rear of the other gauges, and using a mirror in one hand and flashlight in the other, ascertain which is the bulb holder that you need to pull out.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
in the Series 3 XJ, you can push-in and then turn the speedo and tach clockwise or counterclockwise to remove them, but you cannot get to the other gauges by removing the dash cap.

once you remove the speedo and tach, you can get your hand through the holes and reach the rear of the other gauges, and using a mirror in one hand and flashlight in the other, ascertain which is the bulb holder that you need to pull out.
Yup - know the procedure, just looking for an alternative. I can get the big gauges out easy (rubber gloves I find really help). But my fingers are slightly arthritic and I have a hard time getting enough purchase on the knurled knobs to get them loose. I actually found that one of those small pocket screwdrivers helps by inserting the blade into one of the knurls on the knob and using that to get it to start spinning. Once its loose I can get it with my fingers but getting it started is next to impossible.

I need to fully remove the gauges as I am not only replacing the bulbs but will be changing the bezels from black to chrome.

So Jose - are you saying that if I remove the dash top on my 1985 VDP I will not be able to access the backs of the gauges thru the top? Is there a metal fascia under the dash pad that would block access?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 07-31-2015, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

exactly, there is a metal "beam" at the top of the wood dash, which is covered by the dash pad, and behind that beam, you have the a/c ducting "boxes" and vacuum actuators, which don't let you get your hands down towards the gauges, but go ahead and give it a try, the only caveat is that it is very easy to affect the vacuum lines and then you might end up with another problem.

I would suggest there is better access from below the dash, removing the panel under the steering column, but it would still be a tight fit getting your hand upwards.