XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Car Cover

This winter the XJ6 will have to sit outside, i have an outdoor car cover which fits better than most BUT it seems to have degraded very quickly and just recently after a small rainstorm there was moisture trapped between it and on the roof which is not good.

Can anyone make a recommendation as to a really good all season cover.. i am located in Northern California so it will need to be UV resistant and also water resistant. I'm prepared to pay whatever is needed to make sure the car stays as dry as possible..

Thank you!

Russell

Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,954 Likes on 5,298 Posts

The problem with car covers is not necessarily that they leak, but the car sweats under them. That is, humidity gets trapped, as after a rain, and as the steel is colder than the car cover, any moisture condenses on the metal as you have noticed.

To avoid this condensation there Must be a layer of air between the car and whatever is covering it. This allows circulation, and lessens (but doesn't do away with) the chance of rust.

If you can afford it and have the space, a better alternative would be a temporary (or permanent) shelter, I'm thinking a sort of tent thing, to keep the rain OFF completely but allowing circulation around the car. Keep the cover on anyway to avoid errant rain drops and keep the birds from doing their thing on the paint.

Also, if you park the car on cement and not grass or dirt, there will be less sweating because any rain can drain away, the concrete can dry between storms, and moisture doesn't seep up from the ground and wreak havoc.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
rfarmery (09-23-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I use a car cover to reduce UV damage and prevent bird crap from staining my paint. When it starts to rain a lot I quit covering the car. I try to keep the paint well waxed and washed to prevent grit build up. It's car and it was designed to be outside. Although anything you can do to protect it can really extend the beauty and condition of the paint and interior. I hope to have my garage as a home for my cars once again- soon.

The following users liked this post:
rfarmery (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, here in NORCAl, winter UV's are not a big issue. Will we get at winter" ? No one knows. I suspect that we will. So moisture protection seems top be the goal.

So, I'm with Riv and Elinor.

1. A good wash job followed by polish and then a[high carnauba wax content past. If cement is not available, lay down a hard board base.
My 94 Jeep has dome well that way, although I do drive it in winter.

2. I did use a "tent" a couple of times. But, jn summer, Hot vinyl is unpleasant to sit on. Stake downs failed. Lost two to the winds.

No more, trees are far more mature. Great shade. Lots of wax works against sap and bird droppings. .

3. Me. Just drive the Jaguar. In the rain, it will feel at home.

Carl

Old 09-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Thank you everyone for the replies, i had considered a tent style cover, however in the past few years the winds really do whip up and down our street and in one instance it blew off the so called tight fit cover it had on it.

The good thing is the car does seal very well, i do have the usual rusty areas around the front and rear screen but i do intend rectifying this next year so a few months of rain should not make it a great deal worse than it already is.

I think the idea of a good wash and very good waxing would seem to be the best idea. The other point that does concern me with covers is no matter the inner material they do seem to rub the paint on top of the rear fenders.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

If you have a little rust around the screens or elsewhere, you might consider just painting those with a rust sealing paint such as POR 15. Just cover the rusted area, then you can dab on some matching color touch up paint. Of course this isn't supposed to be a real repair, but it will seal off the rusty area and protect it from further moisture damage. You can then repair it properly in the future. I have had good results from POR products although I know that there are those that do not like using them. My motto is stabilize, preserve, protect, then repair. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Or A good layer of Rustoleum primer on the bad spots. A touch of paint that matches over it or just close. Paint is an excellent sealer.

Carl

Old 09-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

I keep my car outdoors and use a "California Car Cover" (the brand name) Ultraweave cover. It is the best for UV and won't blow off or tear. It is guaranteed for 3 years. Was about $250. Keeps the bird droppings, sap and sun off. It is breathable and let's the moisture evaporate. I take it off before it rains as it is heavy when wet. Then put it back on when the sun comes out. I have one for my wife's Lexus as well. Never any problems. I had a little rust spot like you described and I got some clear flowable silicone sealant from Home Depot that flowed down in the crevices to seal it. No need to touch up paint.