Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbon conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon conversion

Hi,
I have a xj6 series 3 injection engine and would like to know how easy it is to convert it to carbs?

Old 07-31-2015, 10:42 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Clive T
Hi,
I have a xj6 series 3 injection engine and would like to know how easy it is to convert it to carbs?
Haven't heard of that one before. I would think with alot of fabrication and setting up A three carb system, maybe even a duece, it might be possible. But you'd have to deal with the ecm and the coil firing and the way it controls the fuel pump..I personnally don't have the brain power to think of this one.
Why do you want to do that? These things run freaking great the way the are set up, if they are running right of coarse. and where would you find room to mount them.
I love fabricating odd ball stuff. If you do this, please post the updates.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

If you have a donor car at hand to get everything you need .....Carbs, manifold, fuel pumps, linkages, who-knows-how-many little tidbits......it might not be too bad but there's bound to be a slew of "Gee, I didn't think of that" details to work out after the basic installation is in place.

If you're somewhere other than North America just find a Series III with a 3.4 engine.....and you'll have everything you need.

I think it's a retrograde step but, if you really want to do it, I'm sure it's doable!

Cheers
DD

Old 08-01-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, let's see. The EFI manifold is alloy. might cut and weld decently with the right tools and skills.

I am thinking of two approaches:

1. Plug the injector ports. Sub in a big carb in lieu of the throttle body. aircraft carb???

2. Plug the throttle body opening. Bore the top side. Three or four Stromberg, Carter or Rochester down drafts in line. Oh,oh, bonnet clearance. I'll leave that to imagination!!! Or three side drafts. Webbers or antique Carter YF's. the latter ala the first Corvettes. Boats used them as well.

Carl

Carl.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Well, let's see. The EFI manifold is alloy. might cut and weld decently with the right tools and skills.

I am thinking of two approaches:

1. Plug the injector ports. Sub in a big carb in lieu of the throttle body. aircraft carb???

2. Plug the throttle body opening. Bore the top side. Three or four Stromberg, Carter or Rochester down drafts in line. Oh,oh, bonnet clearance. I'll leave that to imagination!!! Or three side drafts. Webbers or antique Carter YF's. the latter ala the first Corvettes. Boats used them as well.

Carl

Carl.
Oh baby! That is the way. Maybe a bubble on the hood on the right side, then you'd know there's something awesome under there.