XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control set to lowest setting 65 still warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control set to lowest setting 65 still warm

There is constant warm air coming through the A/C Heater system. I know the fan belt for the AC is currently off, if I get a new one put on, will cool air start flowing out? Even air from the outside would be nice than heat.

Cheers.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the temp get lower at all? If not, time to replace your heater tap (on the firewall under the bonnet, right behind the engine). It's probably been leaking, corroded and is not turning off the flow of coolant. There are other possible problems there, too but that's the most common I've found and a good place to start. With the engine and cooling system cold, reach back and grab the arm of the tap and see if it moves. If it won't move, it's seized. I got one of mine loose and it worked for about a year before it stopped again. It's a cheap part to replace. It's also possible the tap is not getting vacuum. Check the two vacuum lines coming from the right wing to make sure they're both connected and not leaking. One should come from the vacuum reservoir on the left wing and one goes to the heater tap. I can't recall off hand which is which.

Hooking the A/C back up is a gamble. There's probably a reason the belt is off and that reason is most likely that the system has degassed at best. The compressor may have seized as well or if it hadn't before, will shortly after you hook it up unless you re-gas and oil the system.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by wardriver64
There is constant warm air coming through the A/C Heater system. I know the fan belt for the AC is currently off, if I get a new one put on, will cool air start flowing out? Even air from the outside would be nice than heat.

Cheers.
Nate, I would be *Very* suspicious of a missing compressor belt. One of the first things to happen when the system goes flat, and the low pressure switch is also faulty, is the compressor seizes and the belt screams. (I don't want to talk about how I know this.)

In cool weather some people simply take that belt off instead of forking over the cash (perhaps a LOT of it) to have it properly repaired. I'm sorry to tell you, but if this is the case, there are no short cuts or cheap fixes... well I don't know of any.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 04-10-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

if there is no belt installed at the compressor, there is no air conditioning, and there will be no cooling.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

LnrB:

Yup, happened to me. But, long enough ago, so I can chuckle!!

Twas my very nice 85 Ford F150 4x4. The AC was capable of freezing cold. Great output and a small space to cool. But, the compressor had been making awful noises for a time!! I knew it was on it's way out. One hot day, I awaited my late wife with her poodle in the car. AC on and tunes of some kind. Possibly Marty Robbins or Johnny Cash. Ellen liked Marty's music!!!

Then, a horrendous screech!!! It is here!!! Yup, compressor frozen and belt screaming. I think it was a separate belt, so I cut it and we went straight home.

Son, tom, got a friend to replace it and some other stuff and charge it again.
Great AC again, but much quieter!!

Will I charge the Jaguar's AC this season. I dunno. mebbe. The jeep AC is still more than OK.

Carl

Old 04-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by millster
Does the temp get lower at all? If not, time to replace your heater tap (on the firewall under the bonnet, right behind the engine). It's probably been leaking, corroded and is not turning off the flow of coolant. There are other possible problems there, too but that's the most common I've found and a good place to start. With the engine and cooling system cold, reach back and grab the arm of the tap and see if it moves. If it won't move, it's seized. I got one of mine loose and it worked for about a year before it stopped again. It's a cheap part to replace. It's also possible the tap is not getting vacuum. Check the two vacuum lines coming from the right wing to make sure they're both connected and not leaking. One should come from the vacuum reservoir on the left wing and one goes to the heater tap. I can't recall off hand which is which.

Hooking the A/C back up is a gamble. There's probably a reason the belt is off and that reason is most likely that the system has degassed at best. The compressor may have seized as well or if it hadn't before, will shortly after you hook it up unless you re-gas and oil the system.
I checked the Heater Tap, the arm moves. Which direction is open, currently the arm is all the way up and require a little pressure to push it down, I noticed two arms at the bottom is there a way to lock it in place? Also where is the Vacuum reservoir

Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by wardriver64
I checked the Heater Tap, the arm moves. Which direction is open, currently the arm is all the way up and require a little pressure to push it down, I noticed two arms at the bottom is there a way to lock it in place? Also where is the Vacuum reservoir
Nate, my car is also 1976 Xj6, I just now looked at my valve, the rod is all the way down with no vacuum. This position is full open. Yours should be in this position too unless you have vacuum to it.

The vacuum reservoir is tucked up in the left wing just beside the brake booster. It's black so it's hard to see, a flat round can, 5 inches diameter, 1.5 inches thick with only one hose fitting to the rear.
(';')