XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To-do list for Spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 11:05 PM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts
Default To-do list for Spring

Yes, the Forum has been a little quiet lately but I think Elenor hit it on the head, a lot of us are in winter hibernation. My wife and I are in southern California for the winter sans Jaguars but I have been reading the Forum regularly and working on my to-do list for when I get home in the spring:

My 'new' 1987:
  • Refurbish the ignition switch (too much voltage drop)
  • Clean and check the fuel return valves (acting weird)
  • Take the wire wheels up to the Dayton Wire Wheel company to be serviced (45 minutes from my house)
  • Replace all the woodwork with new burled pieces
My old 1979:
  • Been working on my soldering skills so going to go though the car and redo all the old splices like the ones that make the side marker lights flash with the turn signals.
  • I am working on a new bonnet support mechanism that will hold it open at a much greater angle. Once I get it to work properly I'll post the plans in case others want to make one
Jeff

The following 3 users liked this post by Yellow series3:
Andy Paine (01-26-2019), Jag7651 (01-25-2019), yachtmanbuttson (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 05:06 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Only thing on my "To Do " list is an oil change, but it's not quit due yet. Might be due by autumn when it cools down and I feel like crawling under a car.

Last edited by o1xjr; 01-25-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

My to do list has gotten so much smaller since getting my car last July!

1. Install a stakedown kit (one is on order from Coventry West)
a. Have the valve cover powder coated while it’s off
2. Replace the driver side mirror because my mirror is loose (one is on order from Everyday XJ)
3. Figure out what the slight clunk is in the right front wheel when I go over bumps. (I’m thinking a shock bushing needs replacing)
4. Install fuel filters on either side of the fuel changeover valve so fuel debris doesn’t clog my changeover valve again
5. Replace the Leaper emblem on the driver side because mine has a small crack (one is on order from Everyday XJ)
6. Order kit from Jaguar Specialties and replace 5” headlights with 7” lights

To do list for much later, maybe 2020 or 2021:

1. Complete engine bay cleanup so it looks as nice as the rest of the car!

Last edited by XJDanny; 01-25-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

The "What's Going On" thread and this one have got me stirred up and antsy now, and weather has been clear for several days, so today I'll give Nix a good and proper CLEAN inside and out. Later this afternoon I'll take her "round the block" (blocks are LARGE out here) just to see if all is well after this hibernation period (it's a little known fact that hibernating creatures often awaken for brief periods of activity before Spring).

If all is well, *Tomorrow,* we'll take a cruise "to town," including The Passing Lanes where I'll attempt to blow all those cob webs out of the engine and get the carbon off the valves! According to PacSat (Pacific Satellite) imaging ( https://www.goes.noaa.gov/goes-w/goes-nepac-vis.html) I have about 3 days before it starts raining again. I intend making the most of it.

Any relevant photos will follow.....
(';')

Old 01-26-2019, 10:46 AM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

In our part of the country (NC) we ended 2018 with about 19" of rain above the average... and a lot of that was from late August to December. I think at one point it had rained for 10 weekends straight... It kills those Jaguar projects..
Here in the shop I could almost put an Auto-reply for anything that required pulling or cutting from a car "As soon as we get a break from the (rain, snow, cold)... " Just been nasty...
I'm without a Series 3 driver at the moment, but work on the X300 is piling up.. Gotta tend to a leaking valve cover gasket... Looks like the shock bushing is gone on the LHS... Check engine light that comes on when the weather is cold and wet ~ hopefully that will sort itself when warmer weather gets here...
I can attest that there are some Series 3 projects moving forward through out the country.. Client has a car stripped to the firewall working on the climate control system, and putting it back with all refurbished parts and wood... Another with a huge windscreen metal project taking place.. And some other rehab going on to get things sorted by the Spring...
Just gotta hang on for about 6 more weeks...
Cheers
David
shop.EverydayXJ.com

Old 02-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

My To-Do list before spring: remove the trickle charger and drive .....