XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do we have a category - What went wrong with your Jaguar today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

After an alternator dying , I am back on the trail of a failed speedo that has been waylaid at every turn by other priorities and incidents.

The speedo is OK, the auto trans guy (trans got refurbed in the middle of the saga) reckons the sendor is OK (grain of salt there, I beleive that it spins , but he doesnt seem very switched on electronically..pun intended) . So I am testing and rewiring at the trans as soon as I can get hoist access. Fingers crossed. If no good I will look at a GPS driven unit as described elsewhere on this forum.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:58 AM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

After re-installing my steering rack from rebuild, I took the car out for spin to see how well of a job I did on the re-alignment. I was merging into traffic when a dump truck went barreling by and threw a baseball sized rock at my windshield! It all happened so fast but the image of that rock is seared into my brain. After the loud crack of noise it made against my windshield I realized that I wasn't now being blasted with cold air from a hole in windshield and no apparent damage was done,...so I thought. Feeling very fortunate and happy about not having to find a replacement windscreen I continued on.
When I got it back home and upon closer inspection I realized that I wasn't entirely spared from the traumatic event. Because my eye had been fixated on the boulder of impending doom I hadn't even noticed or heard that there were several other smaller meteorites following in the lager ones tail. The smaller ones left almost a dozen tiny nicks in the windscreen and one of them put four 1/4" scratches right in the middle of the otherwise pristine paint of my bonnet.

I still feel fortunate but I ain't happy starting my New Year!

Old 01-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,995 Likes on 5,311 Posts

I had to go to town on this Beautiful winter day WITHOUT HER!
(sigh)
(';')

Old 01-03-2019, 04:47 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYJAG-84
After re-installing my steering rack from rebuild, I took the car out for spin to see how well of a job I did on the re-alignment. I was merging into traffic when a dump truck went barreling by and threw a baseball sized rock at my windshield! It all happened so fast but the image of that rock is seared into my brain. After the loud crack of noise it made against my windshield I realized that I wasn't now being blasted with cold air from a hole in windshield and no apparent damage was done,...so I thought. Feeling very fortunate and happy about not having to find a replacement windscreen I continued on.
When I got it back home and upon closer inspection I realized that I wasn't entirely spared from the traumatic event. Because my eye had been fixated on the boulder of impending doom I hadn't even noticed or heard that there were several other smaller meteorites following in the lager ones tail. The smaller ones left almost a dozen tiny nicks in the windscreen and one of them put four 1/4" scratches right in the middle of the otherwise pristine paint of my bonnet.

I still feel fortunate but I ain't happy starting my New Year!
Hi Indyjag,

We had a similar encounter back in the 80's. (in an 83 Series 3 Sovereign)
Driving home one night, a B double semi in front of us swerved to miss an erratic car in front of it and showered us with crap from the side of the roadway.
We pulled over, but all seemed OK as the headlights were 'working' and there wasn't much external light on the side of the road to see anything else.
Later, at home, a closer inspection showed that not only was the bonnet 'hood' and front panels badly scratched, but also all four headlight glasses were badly cracked and needed replacing.

Hope you have a happier new year,

Cheers,

Nigel

Old 01-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Nigel,
I use this forum as a form of therapy sometimes because I know others can empathize with my pain.