Sponsored by:

Electrify your Jag, Done by Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 07:59 PM
Received 82 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Electrify your Jag, Done by Jaguar

Just saw this on CNN.com.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/23/aut...ric/index.html

No mention of cost. But you can bet it would be lots of coin.

Jeff H

The following 2 users liked this post by Jahmiata:
avern1 (08-25-2018), yachtmanbuttson (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts

So.... that's an E-Lump?

The following users liked this post:
yachtmanbuttson (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 08:55 PM
Received 82 Likes on 41 Posts

Another take on it from Jalopnik.com:

https://jalopnik.com/the-best-part-a...agu-1828566250

Jeff H

The following users liked this post:
yachtmanbuttson (08-24-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 09:43 AM
Received 261 Likes on 156 Posts

I have issues with where Tata Holdings are going with Jaguar's heritage.

They bought Jaguar in 2008 and created 'Jaguar Land Rover', a global car company. Most of their subsequent cars this decade are in my opinion very generic and flashy, but each to their own, what they do as a car manufacturer and seller is up them and their new customers tastes.

We have this weird world now where we have cars like BMW's 'mini' a German/global mid size saloon with a French engine posturing as an original British Issigonis Austin Mini and often seen festooned with the British union flag. To me this is mildly disrespectful, a bit like Elon Musk stealing Nikolai Tesla's name for his American car company, effectively altering and erasing previous history.

Jaguar, in the mid 50's through to the late 80's, were an incredibly innovative and stylish business that survived against steep odds and produced some of the most memorable and iconic cars of the last century. After William Lyons retired and the British Leyland bureaucrats succeeded in diluting quality and focus Ford bought Jag and were amazed at how agricultural the Brown's Lane plant was. Ford did a terrific job of resuscitating Jaguar and improving engineering and processes.

Now we have Tata acting as if they are somehow the creators of Jaguar's dynasty, building new XKSS's and putting electric motors in heritage cars. I have no issue with individual car owners doing this but if Tata are going to produce some bloated new E type with an electric motor and autonomous self driving chariot 'features' that makes a bit of a mockery of the past and is disrespectful to previous Jaguar generations.

The E type conversions etc are probably halo cars and/or will disappear into some dodgy oligarch's collection, but it's important to remember Jag in the 60's managed to produce sensational cars at a very reasonable price and in quite large numbers that the pretty average guy in the street could own. New Jags are expensive luxury electronics festooned generic global vehicles. If they didn't have a Jag badge on them and some vague references to the past they might as well be Daewoo's, another of Tata Holdings brands.

I really hope Tata are going to focus on innovating new and interesting vehicles and spend less time with this cultural strip mining, which is starting to **** me off quite severely...

Old 08-25-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Did we not see a series of detailed posts here that removed the OHC 6 and installed electric power. Elegantly done by guy that knew what he was doing. And driver pictures to prove it up,

Carl

Old 08-25-2018, 01:05 PM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

Regarding Oliver's remarks above, your thoughts certainly have merit. But don't you think traditional thinking folks have always been POed by newer designs? I have to believe a lot of people were steamed when the XKE was essentially replaced by the XJS roadster. Yes, some of the new Jaguar mini-SUVs are very generic and I certainly won't be buying one. But people I have spoken with that own a 500+ HP F-type are very much in love with them. Have you driven or even sat in a new XJ sedan lately? They are sumptuous . To keep the Jaguar flame alive in today's environment is going to take deep pockets. Kind of like a rich uncle that supports your hobby (I don't have one of those), you don't agree with everything he does or how he does it but, hey, keep the money flowing. So let's enjoy the beautiful cars they are putting out, skip the SUVs, and be thankful someone with deep pockets cares.

Jeff

Old 08-25-2018, 03:47 PM
Received 261 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't have any issues with F types and other innovations by Tata - I may well own one soon - it's their cultural appropriation of Jag's past I was attacking.