XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Choking for Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Choking for Fuel?

So i am relatively new to owning cars in general... really new to keeping up a jaguar so I was hoping to get some advice and maybe a little help... about a week ago I had hopped in the car to head to the other side of town to go see a movie with the girl and started noticing at first a lack of power not much but just enough to notice. Got a couple more miles down the road and the motor started acting up really bad any time i pressed the accelerator down more than a litlle bit the motor would rev and then drop down to 500-600 rpm and try to die unless i dropped the peddle at which point the car would go back to normal idle now as i went further it got worse so at the next light i pulled off and stopped in a parking lot. I left it idling in park and it was doing the same thing though it would rev higher before doing it (figure it was due to less resistance), i was starting to worry because paying for a tow and to have it fixed around here is not cheap especially for a college kid. I shut of the car for a minute to let it sit and see if that would help at all( i have had some other strange things show up that turning the car off and back on has fixed pretty much permanently)at any rate i hopped back in with the hood open and started it up and it seemed fine was running up to 4k rpm without a hitch so i closed up the hood and started to head out and about half a mile later it started again so i new i had trouble. I managed to limp it home. I wasn't really positive but from my limited experience it seemed like it was choking out on me so i started simple i changed out the fuel filter and while that helped it didn't fix it... so i borrowed a friends fuel pressure gauge and fittings only to find that out of 50 fittings none of them fit. So i was hoping that someone with more experience than me can help me get this thing running again... my next place to check is the fuel pump doing a running pressure test. but to do that i would need the T-fitting size for in between the fuel rail and the dampener, or some way to rig a gauge in any ideas? I would have figured the manual would have has the measurement but alas it doesn't i can get any more information anyone needs but the next few days aren't going to be very nice but any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way I have a 92 XJ6 Sovereign 4.0L

Old 07-04-2014, 05:46 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Derek,

Welcome to the world of Jaguar.

Yours is what is known as an XJ40, confused, have a drink, it will clear up as you grow to the car.

A repost is the XJ40 section will get some quick and expert FIXES for what ails the Jag.

My reading suggests it "may" be starving for fuel. Simple TRY, lift the fuel cap, go for a drive, see if the problem still exists?

If it is gone, then the fuel tank venting system is your culprit.

If it is still hissy, then progress to fuel filter (more than likely blocked and/or OLD).

The fuel pump may also be getting lazy. Not sure on your year model if it is IN the tank, or under the car.

Others will slide in sooner or later and give some more ideas.

ALSO, when you get a free minute, please do your intro in the "New members area", as it is simply the right thing to do.