XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Europe VS North America?

Old 04-25-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Europe VS North America?

I found while looking at another car at a dealer in Europe, an series III XJ12. While a few pop up here in Canada for sale. Most are not in very good shape, high mileage, neglected maintenance, etc. The Euro looks excellent and has decent kilometers at 80k. The other car was the last year of an older body style. To sell them with most waiting for the new version. They updated the brakes, suspension, exhaust and brakes. The North American version of this car produces around 288hp, in Euro spec, different cam, head design, etc. and the engine produces 310hp. So the Euro spec version is closer to the updated model and only 10hp less.

Canada has a rule, cars 15 years or older no longer have to meet our emission or crash standards. The U.S has a similar rule for Federal DOT and EPA, except its 25 years or older. Importing a European spec car would be easy. I also have property in the U.S, so being able to import and register there is important.

So does the XJ12/or 6 besides difference in appearance have more powerful engines? Like most European cars! This thread is also to point out most of the Euro spec in classic Jags can be imported into Canada and the USA. No need to convert a NA car to Euro spec.

I want a few cars from the 80's, most of the Euro specs are better. More powerful engines, sleeker bumpers, better lights, etc. Hence I'm looking in Europe for them.

Last edited by poncho; 04-25-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by poncho
So does the XJ12/or 6 besides difference in appearance have more powerful engines?

The Series III 4.2 six cylinder was rated at 176 SAE net horsepower in low-compression form and 205 SAE net horsepower in high compression form. The USA got the low compression version and, as far as I know, so did Canada. Not sure about the few sold in Mexico.

The Series III was also offered with a 3.4 six cylinder but I don't know the power rating.

The Series III V12 HE (roughly 1981 and later) was rated at 262 SAE net horsepower in low compression form and 285-299 SAE net horsepower in high compression form, depending on year, market, and which data sheet you happen to be reading at the moment. As far as I know Canada got only low compression versions...but I can't swear to that. The USA only got a tiny handful of Series III V12s in 1979-80.....anywhere from 6 to 41 depending on who you believe. These would've been the low-compression pre-HE variant of the V12.

From memory, these lower compression pre-HE V12 were rated at 244 SAE net horsepower and the high compression models rated at 272 SAE net horsepower.

An exception was a unique high compression pre-HE variant built for just a few months circa 1980-1981. This desirable engine was rated at 300 net horsepower...a real hot rod for the time. I can't remember, off hand, how to identify this particular engine but others will chime in.

In thinking about it, some Jaguar data sheets show DIN horsepower....but that's nearly the same as SAE net ratings.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Just my .01 at this time.

"Older Euro spec cars no longer need to meet NA spec's?
Not the reverse as stated.

Carl

Old 04-26-2016, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

not to mention European versions do not have the catalityc converters and a better Headlights switch !

Old 04-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Jose:

Good quality cats don't hurt performance much, if at all. I've no issue
with them other than they cost too d.. much!!!

The head light switches are each just fine, one no better thasn the other, just fuction a bit differently.

Multi task in progress. Two machies booted up. Each on a different Jaguar forum!!!

Carl

Old 04-26-2016, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Just my .01 at this time.

"Older Euro spec cars no longer need to meet NA spec's?
Not the reverse as stated.

Carl
To import into the U.S. vehicles 25 years or older no longer need to meet DOT and EPA.

The one problem to register in California you need to meet the emission standards there. One other state is like CA, I forget the state. Hence some models are sold 48 state compliant on emissions. You'd have registration difficulties in those states. Hence Jay Leno has a few out of state plates on some of his newer cars.

Canada's rule is 15 or older.

On most European cars, they have better head lights, sometimes things like smaller bumpers, slight style difference. In the 1970's till around the mid 90's, higher horsepower versions most times.

Things like the XJ12 are more available in Europe.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Carl, no cats is better than any cats. The Euro headlights switch has an additional position for the European rear bumper Fog Guards not fitted to American cars which can be tapped for added Driving or Spot lamps at the front. Also it allows the Fog lamps to be turned on in any of the other 4 positions of the switch by pushing the knob in. The USA switch is very limited by comparison. And last, the Euro switch is plug-n-play, no wiring modification required other than tapping one of its wires to use it for switching added lights. I have a total of 8 front lights controlled by the Euro switch. That cannot be done with the stock USA switch.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:30 AM

I also know certain manufactures, besides having smaller more streamline bumpers, also use lighter frames. On certain Ferrari's as an example (308) the car with Euro bumpers is several hundred pounds lighter besides having more power.

No cats you'll have trouble in emission testing states like California. I know Washington State no longer tests cars older then 25 years. I know most states follow the Federal rules but under Obama the fed wants to adopt California standards by 2017. In the future it maybe harder to have a non complying car.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Poncho:

Smog and safety standards are a mixed bag. Feds have EPA and DOT
setting regs.

Each state has it's SMOG and Safety standards. CA and one other state, NY, I think, have something similar.

As to Auto's The FEDS ability to enforce is at the MFG. level. After that, virtually non-existant. Supposedly against FED law for a repair shop to remove cats. Who is around to enforce. Merely, reluctance by the shop. Why risk, even if it is slight.

Jose:

No cats would be fine with me on the mechanical level, but, I am well acquainted with the ravage of SMOG. We lived in the LA area during the bad years. Circa 63-75!!!

Same for EGR. It does not only side track some combustion waste, but cools the cylinder fire. Allows more spark advance.

But, the parasitic air pumps and their plumbing defies logic. Only do their thing for a very few minutes after start up. And even that is diminished. Originly, to speed up[ cat heat. Modern cats heat quickly.

GM found that one one engine, the pump caused more harm than good. It issued a "delete" bulletin. Founded on research that the engine met EPA requirements without it.

The one in my car is functional. But, not a belt driven pump. It is electric. So, other than it's slight weight and odd plumbing, not parasitic at all. Technicaly, I could disable it, as above. Why disable, but not remove stymies me.

Far better in my view is engine design, software management, and maintenance.

I've no issue with the bumpers on my Jaguar. Clunky, yeah, but sorta likable.

The ones on my Jeep are merely cosmetic plastic. The real ones are behind the "skirts". Simple bars. .

At one time the guy across the road had a similar Jeep. In some minor mishap, it lost the front "skirt". Looked more Jeep that way!!!:. The real WWII Jeep.

Carl

Old 04-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by poncho
I know most states follow the Federal rules but under Obama the fed wants to adopt California standards by 2017. In the future it maybe harder to have a non complying car.
Possibly, yes, but whether or not the Fed wants to 'reach back' to cars built 20-25-30 years ago remains questionable, IMHO

Even at the present, 'federal' laws have always applied ...technically speaking....yet there is no real federal enforcement once a car is in the country.

I've looked at quite a few grey-market imports and am left with the conclusion that a lot depends one which DOT and/or EPA official you (or your importer/compliance shop) happens to be dealing with on any particular day.

State-by-state there are huge variances in policy regarding emissions regulation, testing, and enforcement. Often, actually, there are big variances county-by-county within any given state.

Still, though, I agree that it's probably wiser to import what you want now rather than wait for uncertain events in the future.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Since this thread is about the V12 Series 3 cars, a clarification: every Canadian market V12 Van Den Plas meets the U.S. emissions requirements without any modifications at all. In fact the only item that needs to be altered is the speedometer (the Canadian cars use metric instruments) - and an XJ6 speedometer (US specification) is an easy fit.
There are quite a number of the Canadian cars now in the U.S., including several of the "last 100" 1992 V12 VDP cars.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Scotton (01-15-2017)
Old 04-28-2016, 09:15 AM

True many Americans change the speedometer over to miles when importing a Euro spec car or Canadian market. Its actually not a legal requirement to do so. Granted the speedo has both, but the primary digits and odometer on even American market Lamborghini Countach and even early Diablos are in kilometers. The U.S. approved use of the metric system in 1970. Unlike most countries the government has never forced metrification. Much like the UK. Its a pet peeve when Americans change to mile speedometer/odometers.

Another interesting thing for newer Jaguars then 25 years. Most Canadian market cars, even new ones are DOT and EPA exempt to import into the USA. All you need is a letter saying the car meets American standards from the manufacture.

Most of the older Series III XJ12's I've seen in the U.S. have V8 conversions. Another pet peeve. But most that come on the market in Canada these days, have high kilometers, and look well worn and tired. Its a tough car to find one above a driver in condition. Hence the expand the search to Europe.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:25 AM

Oh another interesting place to look for cars is Japan. They have similar exterior requirements as Europe. Tighter emissions but not as restrictive as North America. The Japanese have a very strict vehicle inspection system. The inspection even protects against any rust. Their paint needs to be maintained in perfect condition, as does all mechanical parts. Its every two years and can cost thousands of dollars. Some tire of owning older cars, its cheaper to buy new ones. So the older Jaguars to Rolls Royce can be in very good condition but very inexpensive to buy.

Despite being a right hand drive country. Most European cars there are left hand drive for some reason. You do see the odd XJ12 series III there.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Poncho: I have exported a number of Canadian-market V12 VDP cars to the U.S. Unless the regulations have changed very recently, the cars are required to have a mph speedometer - and the speedometers in Canadian V12 cars are only in kilometres (in other words, they do not have a dual mph and mph reading) hence the need to replace these with the xj6 units.
And if you are looking for a good Series 3 V12 car you are most likely to find one in British Columbia, including in the Victoria area. If you are not in a hurry, I may be able to help.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

KMH vs MPH!!

I served in Germany from 52 to 55. I brought my 49 Mercury with me.
MPH speedo. Out military vehicles were all MPH. Highways governed in KMH!! we managed, merely made a mental calculation.

Then, came my first and only new car. A 53 BRG MG TD. MPH speedo.
Same thing.

Got a family. Swapped the TD for a Belgian assembled 50 Chevrolet
fur door. KLMH speedo seemed it's only variance from the USa version. OK, easy.

Then, I brought it home, back top MPH signage and rules. Ok, just reverse compute. In my head. No issue at the port. Drove across the USA on GI plates. No one stopped me???

Sold to a guy. Liked everything, but the speedo almost killed the deal.
But, it was a good looking car, and ran very nicely. I burned a valve going across Texas. But, using past connections, I installed a rebuilt unit and it purred....

Jaguar and Jeep speedo's have MPH and KMH, but, MPH is primary.

Carl

Old 04-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
...Jaguar and Jeep speedo's have MPH and KMH, but, MPH is primary.
Carl
Could be that Jaguar uses the UK/Europe spec gauge for Nth America since your continent has a mix of KMH & MPH. Jaguars imported to our market appropriately come with KMH only.

Last edited by jagent; 04-29-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Tony: Modern Jaguars for Canada/ Mexico and the US do indeed have both kmph and mph readings BUT the speedometers are not the same for these markets: the gauge used in the US speedometers has the mph reading as predominant, and in Canada the kmph reading is the main one, so they are not interchangeable - complicated!

But the original issue concerned Series III V12 cars, and as this model was not sold in the US - only in Canada, there was only one speedometer reading, and it was in kmph (see the photo below). Thus the need to substitute a US XJ6 speedometer if the car is to be imported to the US.

Attached Thumbnails Europe VS North America?-1990-details-001.jpg  
Old 04-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

since I have no plans to live in a state where the inspection racket is instituted, I simply removed both cats from my XJ-6. Runs better, smoother. I say "racket" because when you consider that Diesel cars and trucks spew horrible fumes and they are "legal", then states that inspect cars at $10. a shot are ripping off the public. Ford is making horrible diesel trucks that make you sick with fumes when you drive behind them.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

10 BUCKS!!??
Last time I got Nix passed it cost me 4X that! And next May I'll have to fork over another $40 (and be subjected to surely, careless staff who care nothing about Nix's paint).

California doesn't exempt cars 25 years old either. Somewhere it's carved in stone that the cutoff date is 1975. Nix missed it be a mere 4 months!
(';')

Old 04-30-2016, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Ayes and nays"

1. $56.00, a "bargain" in 11-15 when my Jaguar got it's CA SMOG
inspection!!

2. The nearby Port of Oakland has had and still has lines of diesel
trucks at idle awaiting access to load containers for moving on to
distribution centers. Many were older "cheap" retired tractors from major truck lies and operated by "owner operators". Dirty is an understatement. New reg's and support for newer trucks and or repowered or "cleaned up with kits". Expensive, wither way. Some old, but functional trucks now obsolete as illegal....

Why is the Ford, so dirty? Last I heard Ford was out of the big semi tractor business and did ony "Power stroke" pickups or slightly above.

Truck diesel are only by a limited source. Caterpillar, Cummins, etc. Mack might still be n the engine game. Oh, and Detroit Diesel, (GM's) big engine....

Passenger diesel engines, a different ball game. VW Passat scandal
notwithstanding...

Recently, I just missed the opportunity to play with a "small" diesel
engine. Craigs list. Mate to my derelict VW dune buggy?? Definitely
feasible. Quickly sold before I got a whack at it....

Carl

Carl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Europe VS North America?