XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory AC cold enough?

Old 12-01-2017, 05:22 AM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Factory AC cold enough?

I'm looking to reinstate the factory AC in my series 1 XJ6. I have the box that sits in the passenger footwell but i dont want that. I want the system that sits in the dash.

For those in warm climates like Australia, maybe california, is the system cool enough? how long does it take to cool down the car?

If i'm going to the expense of putting it in and trying to find 40 year old parts, i for damn what to be sure its cold enough. Otherwise i'd sooner get something custom and modern and uprated if necessary.

Yes i'm familiar with Vintage Air and similar systems. If we can just park those ideas for the mean time. I know they would save a bunch of money, headache and trouble just stuffing one in the passenger footwell, its my number one priority that the car look factory standard. Theyre a bit big to fit in the dash off the shelf and as too.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

It gets to 111+F here in So Cal in the summer months and I have a BRG car with black interior. It takes about ten minutes of driving to cool the car down after sitting in the sun and the stock side vent temps are 40F if the outside temps are 80-90F and higher if it is hotter outside - normal for any car. I have installed GM replacement fans so the air flow is higher and they have metal cages so the noise is a little higher. All this AC stuff will work with a stock Jag engine, I happen to have a SBC V8. This is my second S1 with good working AC that was modified and stock inside.

My '71 XJ has the stock air evaporator and normal dash vents. But the stuff outside in the engine compartment has been changed. The condenser is of modern efficient design and I use a Sanden compressor with a stock type expansion valve - but one that is setup to use R134. I have the part numbers for the heater stuff and valve.

I have added two air vent hoses to the parcel tray (see photo), one from the bottom of the evaporator and the other is the passenger hose that normally goes through the center console to the rear passengers.. I still have one hose for the very seldom rear rides and it cools OK.

The heater matrix is stock but the valve and control is from Vintage Air and it uses a stock knob and spot to control the heat just like normal.. but now electronic.

Installing Vintage Air AC will cause you to lose part of the passenger leg room area (LHD) and is a lot of work to weld up the old fan holes, the hose holes for the heater hoses and then install the new unit and run all the hoses. You will need a new passenger side console flap that will have to be enlarged to cover the new additional stuff. I have not done this myself but have pictures of a S1 with a VA unit. I am happy with the performance of my modernized stock unit...the GM A6 compressor will work well if you have one of those... WE (So Cal) cannot use any other coolant but R134, or we have to pay a fortune for R12 if one can find it still. All the other stuff you might be able to use I cannot talk about from experience. I do not have any performance or noise information on a Jag with a VA unit to know if it ACTUALLY works any better in a hot climate??

Contact me for additional information and pictures...

Attached Thumbnails Factory AC cold enough?-wider-vent.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 12-01-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts
Default A/C cold enough

I own a 1975 XJ6C SII and am also in the midst of upgrading my A/C system. I've just removed the stock condensor and stock radiator and am now fitting up an aluminum radiator that I bought off EBay a while ago. Am now trying to source a NEW condensor and would like some thoughts as to what to use. I plan on rebuilding the A6 compressor but am open to another route if one has a better idea. I have a new dryer on order, but am NOT going to pull the dash apart an replace the evaporator. I draw the line there.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-03-2017, 05:55 AM

Thanks Roger for your very thorough response
My car had R12 in it when i got it and i it was very difficult to even find someone who could discharge the system for removal. R134 it is.
In summary it sounds like the stock system is just fine and i should consider some minor upgrades if possible to help it along if i'm at it.

Yachtmanbuttson (interesting name ) Roger has upgraded his compressor, condensor and fans, maybe you should consider these mods? Maybe he could share some part numbers if he has them handy?

My dash is well and truly apart and i'm prepared to get a custom evaporator to make the most of the space but if the standard one is fine then why reinvent the wheel.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Default A/C components part numbers

Yes, I would love to school off someone else who's done this before. What replacements have been done. I've removed my hood, condenser, radiator, water pump. I'm about to remove my compressor.

Thanks, Bill

Old 12-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The XJ6 Series 1 was the first attempt by Jaguar to fit an in-dash evaporator. Prior to this, evaporators were in the boot, and their reputation was along the lines of "freeze you out," even though there was no direct blast of air into the face.

I mention this because the very first Series 1 cars equipped with A/C had rear evaporators--the same as that on the Mark X/420G. The boot of all S1 cars retain a "shelf" across the back that served as the mount for the early unit. So if you have no factory A/C at present, you can consider fitting the older system. My 73 has the dash mounted system, but I bought a used 420G evaporator in hopes of sometime adding it in parallel--as is done in vans and limos.

The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

My AC components are ten years years old now...my condenser is 14X20 with the drier mounted on the front, from Nostalgic Air Parts and it was $120.00. If I was doing it today I would use something similar to this condenser.. not sure which would fit your Jaguar? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...-vuc/overview/

My fans are GM,(will try to find the invoice and part numbers) and the heater servo kit is from VA, #50507-VUA... it does not need vacuum to work and replaces the stock heater water valve and uses the Jaguar knob and position inside. The heater valve is opened and closed with a small motor and it works perfectly and immediately. Can get hot air in a second and it shuts off properly for the AC to work.

Using parts designed for R134 helps in the cooling process... replace your expansion valve with the proper one for R134 NOW...not sure of the part number for your later car.

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 12-05-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Does this look like the proper expansion valve?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/expansion-v...19.m1438.l2649

Old 12-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Roger - Did you use the stock A6 compressor or go with something more modern?

Old 12-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Have no idea of the valve for your later model Jag, I have a Series 1... needs to be for R134.

I have a Sanden compressor... see photos. These photos are of the era when it was all installed fresh... today I have EFI with a cold air intake and the headers are gone...

Guess I should take some current photos.

Attached Thumbnails Factory AC cold enough?-ac-condenser-drier-trans-cooler-before-hood-.jpg   Factory AC cold enough?-twin-ford-fans.jpg   Factory AC cold enough?-passenger-side-view.jpg  
Old 12-05-2017, 09:54 PM

Thanks for your feedback and information. Its been incredibly helpful! I found someone on Ebay selling a complete factory setup for the dash. I bought the evaporator and fan pieces to see how they fit and work together. He had the original condenser and compressor but my car will be electric, so i'll need a different one and based on your advice i'll get a condenser similar or the same as what you've suggested.
I've looked further into the Vintage air setups. Krissmotors has some very detailed information and photos of the exact installation of one of their systems but it took up a lot of room still, and i dont want a heater core. i've found a valve to make the AC 'reverse cycle' that'll save some space. The reasonably distributed nature of the original system with fans in the firewall and evaporator and heater inside means their position can be placed where most convenient.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by itchyback
i dont want a heater core. i've found a valve to make the AC 'reverse cycle' that'll save some space. .
This is interesting. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I would like to see a separate thread with more info.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:16 AM

check this link out
A/C reverse cycle valve

Open to any feedback or thoughts.