XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

feedback about purchasing 302 swapped 1978 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default feedback about purchasing 302 swapped 1978 XJ6

First forgive me if this isn't the proper website / forum for this question, let me know if there's a more appropriate website or forum.

I was perusiing craiglist looking for a super reliable lowish milage Accord or Camry and stumbled on this listing for the following Jaguar:

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/6035224567.html

-1978 Jaguar XJ6
-new Ford 302
-new 3 speed with overdrive transmission
-all new interior / new gages

I have never been one to lust after any cars really, new or classic but something about this car is just unbelievable beautiful to me. I check the listing like 3 times day just to drool over the pictures.

Okay so for the questions:

-Are there any general red flags you see?

-Price? I have no idea what an appropriate price for something like should be. What do you think about 10k?

-Reliably? With a new motor and transmission I am guessing it should be fairly reliable, what do you think?

-If I were to proceed with this what questions should I ask? What should I look out for?

Okay thanks for any help you guys can provide I really appreciate it!

Old 03-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

No red flags but the engine appears to be sitting very far forward for a convert. Probably has something to do with the exhaust routing on the driver side. This puts weight very far forward and kind of negates one of the major benefits of a V8 conversion... weight distribution.

SBF is an atypical convert, most are chevy becasue the availability of center dump exhaust manifolds make it an easier and safer convert. SBF means there are many home made parts, nothing wrong with that but make sure the engineering is done well for safety sake. Driver side exhaust pipe is usually real close to the steering shaft. Check it. If a motor mount fails it could jam the steering shaft.

Seems like a long way to go for a weezy 302 with a 3 speed.

Those wire wheels are very heavy and make the car ride poorly especially over bumps.

I'd pass for a chevy convert. Cant beet a TPI or LT1 swap with a 4 speed overdrive transmission.

The following 2 users liked this post by icsamerica:
AccidentlyInLove (03-12-2017), Roger Mabry (03-13-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 PM

icsamerica, awesome insight thank you!

Old 03-12-2017, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I think it looks pretty good. Some of what's been done isn't to my taste....but that's just my taste

One way to look at it is that there's a lot of money you *won't* have to spend. New engine, sharp cosmetics, new leather etc.

Originally Posted by AccidentlyInLove
-Reliably? With a new motor and transmission I am guessing it should be fairly reliable, what do you think?

Yes and no.

The engine and trans should be very reliable in the sense of reliably getting you from point A to point B every day. But anyone here will tell you there are LOTS of other potential problem/expenditure areas with an old Jag that don't have anything to do with the engine and trans. Ask the seller if the front suspension has had any attention, if the rear brake calipers and rotors have been replaced, if the power windows work, any body rust....things of that nature.

In other words, ask what *hasn't* been done.

Sometimes the last 20% of a project car is the hardest to complete.

I was perusiing craiglist looking for a super reliable lowish milage Accord or Camry

Which brings into question your ownership experiences and expectations. If you are accustomed to a Honda-like ownership experience, and don't have tolerance/desire for the trials and tribulations of older specialty cars, you might be in for a shock. Jags can be reliable, with some effort, and can be very satisfying and rewarding.... but they are 'owner involvement' cars. It's sorta like owning a boat: you have to *enjoy* taking care of it or you're sunk.

Having owned several Hondas and several Jags I can tell you it's two different worlds.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
AccidentlyInLove (03-13-2017), bill70j (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Different, no doubt about it. But, definitely a good looking car. Inside well done, but not my taste. Not that that matters one whit.

The amazing or is it amusing feature is the polished copper dash!!!

A rub to at least some. Can't be registered in CA!!! OK, if passes where the buyer lives. But, sales market limited. Although, most other states not so fussy.

The SBF is not as wide as the ABC, so exhaust to steering clearance might not be as much of an issue.

And, SBF's are plenty healthy. But, if tuned with torque in mind, it should handle the Jaguar with aplomb.

Oh, a "new" 302? Not likely. A fresh rebuild, more likely.

I loved the 5.0 badge on the boot lid !!! Mine sports a V8 there.

Yeah, wire wheel have their limitations. But, they sure look good, when clean and shiny!!!

Thanks for sharing. Window shopping however done, is fun.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
AccidentlyInLove (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

Having had one of those steering wheels with metal rivets... they are VERY hot if the car sits in the sun... leave gloves in the car! I sold mine right after the installation and replaced it with an all wood wheel.

Owing a old Jaguar, you had better be able to work on the car yourself...

Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 PM

Okay so I'm still really liking the idea of a classic Jaguar but think I'll pass on this one.

For one I am at a time in my life where I simply don't have the time to maintain a car like this. I believe in that whole idea of taking care of the things you own and they'll take care of you. Right now even though I have a huge crush on this car I know there is just not time available in my life to adequately learn about it and work on it.

Other things like the copper dash which to me are totally awesome but would only add to the maintenance needed to keep the car in good shape. Also the wire wheels which I learned from this forum were really not intended to go with the car, hurt the ride, and you guessed it require even more maintenance.

Thanks for all the feedback so far and keep it coming if there's anything to add it's been really fun learning about this stuff.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

The copper dash is hideous (IMO) & the glare factor has to be blinding! I'm not a fan of the seats either, though they do look extremely comfortable. The conversion looks to be well done. I like the Jaguar decal on the rocker cover, it's a deft touch that makes the whole car look "factory". I'd say the car's worth an inspection, especially if it's done to your tastes. Because all the work looks to have been done to a high standard, so I'd be surprised if all the niggling issues that have been mentioned haven't all been rectified during the rebuild. & it looks to me like it would be a reliable daily driver. & you're going to get a lot more attention in it than a bland old Camry or Accord.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

$10 grand? no way Jose!

more like $6 grand is premium dollar. Offer $5 grand or walk away.

if car has been restored, it means that it had lots and lots of rust, go around it with a magnet and you shall find the bondo plaster.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
$10 grand? no way Jose!

more like $6 grand is premium dollar. Offer $5 grand or walk away.
Are you serious? If I got it for 5 or 6 I might as well grab it and test the Jaguar waters. Where are common rust areas?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

not kidding, these cars are undervalued. The rust is usually around the front and rear windshields, the doors, the fender wheel openings, the spare tire compartment, everywhere especially in the northern states. But for 5 or 6 grand you can buy a newer old Jag, up to 1987, a better XJ. The car you are looking at is no longer a Jaguar, its a conversion, those do not command that kind of money.

AccidentlyInLove (03-22-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad

The amazing or is it amusing feature is the polished copper dash!!!

A rub to at least some. Can't be registered in CA!!! OK, if passes where the buyer lives. But, sales market limited. Although, most other states not so fussy.

I missed that earlier. Is the California thing because the dash has been modified in general? Or because it's metal?

Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

If you live in California, or you plan to bring the car to California in the future, you MUST find out EXACTLY what the import rules are for such a car (converted that is) before you lay down one red cent.

DMV is Particularly difficult to get along with regarding Any car brought into the state that doesn't have the same power plant (including ALL emissions equipment) it left the factory with.

It will not be allowed to be licensed here most likely, and you could lose your proverbial shirt. It might be a bit different if it was a California car to begin with, and you might check on that too.

A word to the wise.
(';')

Old 03-13-2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB
If you live in California, or you plan to bring the car to California in the future, you MUST find out EXACTLY what the import rules are for such a car (converted that is) before you lay down one red cent.

DMV is Particularly difficult to get along with regarding Any car brought into the state that doesn't have the same power plant (including ALL emissions equipment) it left the factory with.

It will not be allowed to be licensed here most likely, and you could lose your proverbial shirt. It might be a bit different if it was a California car to begin with, and you might check on that too.

A word to the wise.
(';')
Wow that's really good to know.

LnrB (03-13-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Accidently:

Your real name would be welcome. Mine is Carl !!

1. CA would not care one whit if the dash is copper or any other material.

2. But, very fussy on SMOG related things. Generally, the donor engine must be of the same year or newer than the recipient car. And, must include all the SMOG equipment of the donor. EGR, catalyctic converters, air pumps, tank ventilation, etc.
And an EFI car must get an EFI system. No back track from EFI to Carb. Off hand, I've no recollection if the 78 were carb'd or EFI!! A really big issue.

As to original vs converted values, views differ. Example. A well done conversion in a good car vs a medciocre original???

Carl

Old 03-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hi Accidentally

Why not take a look at the last traditional-style XJ saloon, the X350 series, (there is a forum for these here). All the style you're after plus excellent reliability and its a modern car so easy to drive and fairly reasonable to look after cost-wise. I'm on my second one now.

See the photos of my two cars, the blue one is the current one I have. Not too many $$$ to buy now as the last was made in 2008.

Attached Thumbnails feedback about purchasing 302 swapped 1978 XJ6-img_1605.jpg   feedback about purchasing 302 swapped 1978 XJ6-2016-08-05-197.jpg  
AccidentlyInLove (03-22-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:58 PM
Default Why are the jaguar gods doing this to me

So I was getting way to close to going forward on that 302 Jag I posted originally. Then in a moment of clarity I said to myself:

"Self, you're clearly infatuated with vintage Jaguars right now, take a step back to make sure you're thinking clearly"

So, I took a step back and stopped looking at that dumb ad for a few days to make sure I wasn't making a major decision on lust alone.

When I start looking at the photos of the 302 Jag again and comparing it to pictures of true unmolested Jaguar interiors my love affair started to end.

Upon some reflection I feel that Jaguar just nailed the exterior AND interior of those classic XJ6s. The copper is cool to me but not timeless. The seat design to me is really neat but doesn't seem as rich.

Then. I. Found. This.

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/6047191357.html

I like this one 10x more than the 302 Jag. I suppose that because it is still 100% original it's probably not going to be as reliable but man it looks lovely. And the owners look like true enthusiast, which can only be a major plus.

What do you guys think? And thanks for all your input thus far on my Jaguar journey.

Last edited by AccidentlyInLove; 03-16-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Buy it. Looks nice. Clearly you should verify its as nice mechanically as the add suggests. Also check paint and check under for rust. Those straight 6 engines should pull smoothly. Most of these cars need expensive brake work in the rear. Thats expensive and difficult.
​​​​​​

AccidentlyInLove (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

I had a set of those alloys. The center cap sticker is missing and replacing it would go along way to enhancing the looks. Very good wheel light and should ride like a dream... but if one is bad there are no individual replacements available. Make sure they run smooth and vibration free.

Seems to be red paint under the hood where the fender meets the engine bay. That will need an explantion.

AccidentlyInLove (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Buy it. Looks nice. Clearly you should verify its as nice mechanically as the add suggests. Also check paint and check under for rust. Those straight 6 engines should pull smoothly. Most of these cars need expensive brake work in the rear. Thats expensive and difficult.
​​​​​​
Remove the rear suspension to replace the rear rotors? You have to earn a Jaguar's love it appears!