XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting a Modern Head Unit and Stereo Speakers to a Series 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Fitting a Modern Head Unit and Stereo Speakers to a Series 1

I'm thoroughly enjoying driving my S1 XJ6 4.2 but, the standard Stereo System is pretty rubbish (yes it still has the standard unit), so I would like to replace the Head Unit with a modern 'retro look' item and some decent Speakers.

I'm happy I can replace the Head Unit (done quite a few on various cars over the years) but, there only seems to be one Speaker on the centre of the dash and one on the Rear Parcel Shelf (mono sound only?).

I would like to see what others have done with their S1s and advice of any off the shelf speaker installation kits?

Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

if the S1 is like it's predecessors the 420, 420-G, MK-X, and the S type, the rear parcel shelf will have factory pre cut-out "tabs" for 6 x 9 speakers. you'll need to get in the boot on your back and look up under the rear parcel shelf to see if the cut-outs are there. If yes, all you do is twist them off and the shelf is ready for speakers. (curiously Jaguar anticipated the need for better sound since 1962 and made provisions accordingly).

also, you could get Series 3 rear door panels (cards) and graft the 5" speaker assemblies to your cards for a total of 4 rear speakers. In my experience, the best sound always comes from the rear of the cabin. Front speakers always suck.

if no cut-outs in your car, other cars like Nissan, Toyota, have forward-angled surface mountings for rear parcel shelf speakers which can be "borrowed" and adapted. A visit to a salvage yard might give you ideas and the parts.

I suggest you run new wires to each speaker from the new head unit.

and last, save the original radio, they are worth a fortune.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:01 AM

Thanks Jose,

A very complete reply as always. I will check under the Rear Parcel Shelf tomorrow.

While you may be right about the better sound coming from the rear, that is not the aim of a well set up sound system. The sound should appear to be coming out of the windscreen like the music is happening on a stage in front of you. Therefore, the rear speakers should compliment the fronts but, not over power them.

The higher the pitch, the more directional the sound is, which is why you can hide a subwoofer in the boot/trunk.

Sound Systems in most modern cars are quite good and the top prestige cars have systems specially designed for them like Bose have done for Mercedes and obviously Bowers & Wilkins (my brand of choice when I can afford them) for Jaguar XF and XJ.

In a perfect world I'd like to install some Tweeters on top of the Dash so they can 'reflect' back off the Windscreen and a Mid/Woofer in the Front Door Card.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member

hi Woz,
my issue with front speakers in cars, is that one is always seated in one side or the other, never in the Center, (unless you're seated in the back center), and because of that, one channel in the front is always louder on the side one is seated, so the stereo imaging is lost to the human ear.

Unless of course you own a car like George Harrison's Lamborghini where steering is in the center. then you get equal "balance" from the front speakers.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 AM

Jose,

Yes I admit that the interior of most cars are a compromise when it comes to sonic perfection but, you can get close.

This is a crude diagram but illustrates the point well enough. The Amp drives the Front Speakers, leaving the Head Unit's (HU) internal Amp to drive the Rear Speakers.

iName:  StereoSystemDiagram2_zps021b8558.jpg
Views: 4222
Size:  37.9 KB

Some systems do away with the Rear High/Mid Speakers altogether, a this high end system illustrates (the Subwoofer would probably be in the Trunk/Boot).

Name:  StereoSystemDiagram3_zpsb755e246.png
Views: 1032
Size:  80.7 KB

Each to their own but, I would like to achieve something similar and for that I would probably be better off using the Front Door Cards as the location for the Front Mid/Bass Woofers.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

The most important speakers (from the driver's point of view, anyway) are found in the front of the vehicle. The front speakers develop the overwhelming majority of the soundstage that the driver experiences. While the larger rear speakers will supplement the low end, the quality and clarity of the sound will be developed by the front speakers.

A set of 6x9's on the rear shelf will do a great job of filling in the lower frequencies because of their larger size. They can be critical if your only options up front are for small speakers. However, don't overlook the front speakers. You'll notice that almost all OEMs know this, and offer component speakers (a woofer and a tweeter) in the front of the car but not the rear, even on models with mildly upgraded sound systems.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:38 AM

Car the Series 3 Door Cards be used, as either a replacement or as a template to fit some Front Speakers to S1 cars?

Last edited by Woznaldo; 10-06-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Woznaldo
Car the Series 3 Door Cards be used, as either a replacement or as a template to fit some Front Speakers to S1 cars?
I think yes, although I have not done it myself, only way is to try it. At the very least you might be able to graft the speaker enclosure into your card.