XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Leak

In addition to other fuel related problems, I have found that I am leaking gas out of the passenger's side rear fender. I've read other threads on this forum that talks about the same problems, but I have not found any remedies.

Where do I need to start?

Whatshould I be looking for?

Was this a bad investment????????

Old 06-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Leak

Hi Rev. Gary. A pretty common problem, so I wouldn't get discouraged because of it. Just as easy to fix.Don't know what type of car your have, but, if you have an XJ-6, then Haynes manuel is actually pretty good describing how to remove the tank. I don't normally recommend Haynes for much, but this is one area that is actually pretty good. After removing the tank, it'll be easy to find the leak. If the rust is too bad, a new or used tank might be best. For pin holes, take it to a radiator shop, have them boil it out, then weld the holes. Now the permanent fix. Check on the Internet for POR 15. Its a 3 step process, slushing the inside of the tank, forming a seal that will last another 25 or so years. You can even cover the outside of the tank if you like to stop the rust permanently. The directions are so easy that even I was able to successfully fix my leak. Took me about a week to fix the leak, but then again, I only worked short periods of time in the hot Arkansas heat and humidity. One day to remove the tank, which should only take maybe two hours, or so. One day at the radiator shop. One day doing the first two steps of the 3 step process. One day letting the inside of the tank dry completely. One day doing the actual slushing compound. Another day for that to dry, then one day putting the tank back in. I suppose someone could do it in only a couple of days, including dry times, with better climate and a more urgent need to get the car back on the road. I wouldn't look at owning a Jaguar as an investment, as you'll never make any money on your return. Just enjoy the car for what it is. They tend to have a lot of little thing go wrong with them, mainly because the previous owner failed to properly maintain them. Once you get everything sorted out, they tend to be very reliable cars, and, are made to drive, daily if you can. You make a garage queen out of one of these cars and your asking for more of the same, repair, repair, repair. If I can help further, don't hesitate to contact me. Keith

Old 06-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Default RE: Fuel Leak

Sorry about that Gary, I just realized you had an 85 XJ6, just like mine. The info is the same.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Default RE: Fuel Leak (1985 XJ6)

I appreciate the advice. The tanks, however, have no rust on them or in them. The gas is not leaking out do to a hole, but rather from something else. I just can't put my finger on it yet. Is there some type of gas return? Meaning, the unused gas is returned back to one or both of the tanks when being used for some reason?

This actually happened the other day. While just fooling aroung inside the car, I had it running. I had the trunk popped opened trying to figure out what this part was beside the fuel pump (No, it wasn't the fuel filter) & started to smell gas. I was looking at all the connections inside the truck area (very convienent by the way) & then noticed gas pouring out of the right rear fender.

I quickly pressed the switch button to swap tanks. It quick dripping, but of course, now I have concerns.

Any advice??

Old 06-24-2008, 10:26 PM

Gary, I've tried posting 3 or 4 times, all were pretty lengthy, and the forums still are not working like they should, so contact me off list and I'll try helping. keith.loretta@sbcglobal.net. Keith.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:13 AM

Well, I found out that the fuel system apparently has a "fuel return" line. That apparently returns the unused gas back to the gas tanks. The unfortunate thing was, it was only returning back to the right no matter which tank I was using, causing the right tank to over flow with gas - which spills out through a little hole in the fender which made it origianlly look like I had a fuel leak.

1) I drained the gas out of the tanks

2)I removed the solenoid valve beside the fuel pump (To me this device served no purpose other than causing more problems)

3) Replaced with a straight TEE

4) Replaced the gas back into the gas tanks

This cured the problem of fuel loss. Since only one fuel sending unit was working, this worked out perfectly:

Although two tanks, I actually have one now & so I only need one sending unit that works. So I placed the fuel switch to the sending unit that works & behold - Problem Fixed!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:14 PM

Gary, the valve you removed will stop the gas from going to one tank or the other, if your ever parked on a hill. This can cause overflowing. It rarely causes a problem. Your problem with the gas going to just one tank is caused by the valves, just in front of your rear wheels. The access panel is in the forward part of your wheel well. If you fill the tanks, you run the risk of overflowing in the right tank. Did you look under the gas cap on the left tank to see if gas was returning. Use a screwdriver and push the flap down, use a flashlight to see if gas is entering from a small tube just under the flap. Sounds like you must have already done this. If you use only one tank, you'll be filling up twice as much. If you decide to fix the valves, they only go on one side, not interchangeable. Good luck, hope it works out for you. Keith.