Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Fuel pump question.

About a week ago i had just gotten home.from.taking daughter to her crew practice, had used the jag as i had my new butcherblock countertops hanging out of the back of the van. ( a whole nother story but glad kitchen will be finished)
I parked in the street so.i could unload the van, no problem. All done, went to move jag back into garage, fires up fine, i backed up enpugh to point her nose.into the driveway, put her in drive, hit the gas, bluh.... shut down, hmmmmm. Turn ignition off, and try to restart... cranks but wont catch. Yry again.... same thing. Wait a minute, where's.the hum??? Its dead silent! So half in drive amd half on sidewalk i open trunk, have daughter turn key, silence...
​​​​so now im climbing all over kitchen cabinets, boxes of tile, counter.tops etc to try to get to my pegboard where i can see my test light hanging just out of reach, taunting me!!!! Finally reached it, back to trunk, test agin, i have 12 volts but still no pump. So.i unplugged it and plugged it in a few times, i could hear it trying, then it caught! Turned to.start and she fired right up​​!!!
For anyone still reading, now for the question....
Could it have been a piece of trash caught? Am i on borrowed time? Do i need new pump?
This pump is about 6 years old,
I have driven.the jag 3.or.4 times since then and.have had no issues.

I pulled.the filter and.checked it out, nothing untoward came out, i chabged.it anyways as i had one sitting on shelf, car runs like a dream, plenty of power, no pinging or backfiring, so i am doubtful that shes running lean.
Tanks are original, so not pristine, but again nothing untoward in them...

So what say you???

Oh and i am currently sitting at crew practice in the jag, and am typing all this on my phone so please ignore any errors as my thumbs are.bigger than the buttons..

Old 05-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
Finally reached it, back to trunk, test agin, i have 12 volts but still no pump. So.i unplugged it and plugged it in a few times, i could hear it trying, then it caught! Turned to.start and she fired right up​​!!!
For anyone still reading, now for the question....
Could it have been a piece of trash caught? Am i on borrowed time? Do i need new pump?
This pump is about 6 years old,

IMO it *does* sound as though the pump is expiring. I'd replace it.

Six years is a bit of a short life for a pump. Maybe not to the point of being called 'premature failure'....but one would hope for more. Since nothing ugly came out of the filter I guess it can be chalked up to "they don't make things like they used to"

Cheers
DD

Old 05-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Doug, kinda what i figured.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Install a pre-pump filter like WIX 33299. Its been much dicussed here. Its very possible some crud jammed your pump.

I've been running the same OE pump I bought used for 10 years now on 2 different vehicles. No telling how old it was when I got it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...85-xj6-145556/

Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Fitting pre-pump filters was one of the first things I did along with replacing all fuel lines and clamps. As well as checking all wiring and replacing what was needed. 50,000 miles later, no problems.

Last edited by o1xjr; 05-18-2017 at 08:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
yachtmanbuttson (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Darren:

Welcome back, we did miss you !

Or:

Merely the exercise thing. Disconnect, connect. Repitition fixes odd corrosion.

Carl

Old 05-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts

o1xjr - Those electric fuel pumps - are they these? https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-AZX1311ALT

Bill

Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Default Day late and a dollar short....

Finally got around to ordering fuel pump last week and it should be here tomorrow or Wednesday , (been busy with kitchen remodel, well finishing it, started 2 years ago.. lol) anyways..... work van had to go in for new tires, brakes, shocks, etc so im driving jag today...... any guesses what happened???

Yup, sitting on side of road wating on tow truck!!! Cant really complain though, its only second time in 12 years of ownership thats its actually stranded me, and this one is my own fault, should have replaced fuel pump a month ago!

So here i sit farting around on the internet instead of working.... hope everyone elses.day is going better than mine!

Old 07-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

The good news part. Resolved. Toss the old one to prevent it from causing further issues, down the road.

Or, bench test it. But, it might work, for a bit, only to drop out again.

But, for curiousity, (sp) open it up and see hoe they work or not work.

Good intentions went astray. Electric weed whacker let me down mid chop. String feed issue. Shoulders also, said, enough. As the F's are climbing, in we came...

Up at 4 this AM, So, getting hungry. Open face sandwich or vegie stew and chipped beef? Spam perhaps, Odd, but I like the stuff.

Carl

Old 07-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,952 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Finally got around to ordering fuel pump last week and it should be here tomorrow or Wednesday ,... so im driving jag today...... any guesses what happened???

Yup, sitting on side of road wating on tow truck!!! Cant really complain though, its only second time in 12 years of ownership thats its actually stranded me, and this one is my own fault, should have replaced fuel pump a month ago!
Um, Darren, don't you know by now that procrastination *ALWAYS* bites you!!
So here i sit farting around on the internet instead of working.... hope everyone elses.day is going better than mine!
Yes, I'm having a Great day actually! I started "before breakfast" and here I am finished up by noon! (Work was light today but still...)

I *Love* High Summer! That Glorious time between mid May and early September in the Northern Hemisphere, when the weather is warm, the skies clear, grass is growing, trees are green, flowers are blooming, birds are singing, and did I mention it's Warm!

My friends sometimes ask how I can work in these temperatures (100+F) when they're dying of heat frustration at 85F. Well, I'm up before the sun, start way early and work up with it. Start Early, End Early as my friend the concrete contractor always says. (No one ever asks him how he can work in the heat!)
(';')

Old 07-17-2017, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

lucky i went behind car, tailpipes about to hit the ground!!! Driver had to put.2x6s down to.avood scraping...

Old 07-17-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Old 07-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Fitting pre-pump filters was one of the first things I did along with replacing all fuel lines and clamps. As well as checking all wiring and replacing what was needed. 50,000 miles later, no problems.
Clarke, if I'm not mistaken those look like low pressure pumps for a carburetted car. Correct?
Filters can be put in pre-pump on the FI cars but the hose sizes are different and the only available clear filters are 5/16, with the rubber lines being 3/8. They will clamp down and not leak but it's not ideal. I did have them on my '86 for a couple years and it's imperative if the tanks are not new replacements. Imho...

Old 07-17-2017, 05:53 PM

Darren that sucks right there... BTDT!
I'm saying your tanks are the culprit, and that gremlin will beat you to death until you eliminate the tanks as a problem first.
A lot of the rust is in the top of the tanks so not really evident when looking around in there. I pulled the large bottom plug and the sump filters (you'll need new o-rings) then pulled the fuel gauge sender out the back so I could get a good view inside. Flushed with mineral spirits, then purple degreaser and used 5gal paint sticks to dislodge/dissolve crud, much of which is gummy. Hosed the **** out of it with a water hose to finish and compressed air dry. This is only a stop gap measure... then put in clear pre filters so you can monitor the fuel color/quality from now on until you can replace the tanks. This ain't gonna fix it permanently. Only clear filters I could find were 5/16 ports, hoses in the car are 3/8, have to clamp them down. Only 3/8 filters I could find are solid metal and you can't see the fuel quality. The filters go between the tanks and changeover valve inputs. Also, the fi pumps have a tiny screen filter in the inlet port, it's deep inside and you have to use a flashlight to see it. Said screens only last a couple minutes on a new pump with dirty tanks so don't put a new pump on dirty tanks!

Old 07-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,952 Likes on 5,297 Posts

...lucky i went behind car, tailpipes about to hit the ground!!! Driver had to put.2x6s down to.avood scraping...
Drivers *Always* do that when Nix gets a ride.
My guys know Class when they see it pitifully needing a ride home. (snicker)
(';')

Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmm.

1. Yeah as to work in high heat areas and times. In the late 50's we lived and worked in CA's Imperial valley. I learned from the farmers. Early to work, and then out.... So, I made my calls no later than 8AM.
But, the farmers could only be found after lunch. In their offices or homes. That is where I found them. If a field visit was needed, it was early.

Then, lunch, then to the office to do my paper work.

2. I think my Jaguar got about four flat bed rides. None needed a block to lift the tail up.

3. Ask Elinor or some old concrete guy? Easy....

Carl

Old 07-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How often do you drive your Jaguar? You might consider using fuel stabilizers (sta-bil) for extended periods of non-use to prevent issues like this.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slofut
Darren that sucks right there... BTDT!
I'm saying your tanks are the culprit, and that gremlin will beat you to death until you eliminate the tanks as a problem first.
A lot of the rust is in the top of the tanks so not really evident when looking around in there. I pulled the large bottom plug and the sump filters (you'll need new o-rings) then pulled the fuel gauge sender out the back so I could get a good view inside. Flushed with mineral spirits, then purple degreaser and used 5gal paint sticks to dislodge/dissolve crud, much of which is gummy. Hosed the **** out of it with a water hose to finish and compressed air dry. This is only a stop gap measure... then put in clear pre filters so you can monitor the fuel color/quality from now on until you can replace the tanks. This ain't gonna fix it permanently. Only clear filters I could find were 5/16 ports, hoses in the car are 3/8, have to clamp them down. Only 3/8 filters I could find are solid metal and you can't see the fuel quality. The filters go between the tanks and changeover valve inputs. Also, the fi pumps have a tiny screen filter in the inlet port, it's deep inside and you have to use a flashlight to see it. Said screens only last a couple minutes on a new pump with dirty tanks so don't put a new pump on dirty tanks!
you hit nail.on the head!! New pump.arrived yesterday, took out old one shook it and tons of flecks or.rust fell.out. installed new one.without filters.just so.i could put car back in garage, will be doing the filters this afternoon, then flushing my tanks one aT a time, but for now car will be sitting until my backsplash is finished in kitchen.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:53 AM

you hit nail.on the head!! New pump.arrived yesterday, took out old one shook it and tons of flecks or.rust fell.out. installed new one.without filters.just so.i could put car back in garage, will be doing the filters this afternoon, then flushing my tanks one aT a time, but for now car will be sitting until my backsplash is finished in kitchen.
Connect a can of gas to the new pumps output and run it backwards, maybe expel the bits out of the inlet screen. Look very closely with a flashlight. With one clean tank... if a return valve fails (from rust debris) it will fill the opposite tank that fuel is coming from and can not only overflow fuel out the filler neck, but it will fill the entire vapor system and pour raw fuel out the carbon canister. I've seen more than one xj burn because of this. System prob worked fine while the cars/tanks were relatively new. Good luck on the kitchen, mine is going on 10 months.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Ha, the HGTV shows slap on the "stylish" subway tile back splashes in nano seconds???

Hmmm, the cobbler whose kids had no shoes.

My son was over and gave me a big hand with in and out of the house deferred maintenace. One part a much needed major prune on the greenery around my "patio". But, I thought I had my old Troy Bilt chipper/shredder ready to go. The Predator fired right up. Good. Not good. the drive pulley came adrift on the engine shaft. spinning noisily, but no drive to the business part. A known weakness of the design.
gotta figure out and execute a fix....

Mean time, one full green recycle can on the curb for this AM's pickup.
I'll load another today or tomorrow.

Weather is giving us a break, No AC all day yesterday. But, one fan going to power vent the house.

Carl