XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good,Bad, and the ugly

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good,Bad, and the ugly

The good....the 83 XJ6 is in my driveway .Now the battery won't need to be trickle charged from lack of use.It drives like a top,front end drives straight,just about new tires with alloy rims,2 yr old battery,all the lights work.Bad news....seams rusted thru under the gas peddle and a spot on the passenger side.Right side fuel tank gauge doesn't work,instrument cluster lights aren't very bright (is this normal?) drivers seat is quite worn.I'm choosing the Gliptone products to recondition the other seats which are not bad just neglected..
The bad...The bonnet alignment is skewed due to one side sits on top of the bumper at one spot by maybe 1/8 of an inch.In our haste to make it road worthy we shut the bonnet and now I can.t get it open.
Am I screwed on this???Luckily the check strap is undone but I cannot loosen the bonnet hinges at the bumper cause the bumper keeps my tools away from the inner bolt.Also the tranny leaks (seals?) and the shifter is hard to shift(I found a replacement one in the trunk,previous owner was probably going to put it in).Also the horn doesn't seem to work.Any advice would be grateful

Old 11-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

As to the bonnett:

1. Look under the left wing at the top. Juat behind a box there is a rubber plug. pry it out. theis allows a long screw driver to reach the latch.Prod while someone operates the release inside the car.

2. with a narrow tool and a rag to protect the paint, insert it into the tightest line on the bonnett, possibly toward the rear of the car, away from the grill and nearest the windscreen. Gently pry while another hold the reease handle in the open position.

One of these will release most bound bonnetts.

Yeah, my dash lights are far from bright. Some counsel jumping the dimmer rheostat.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
jagyankee (11-24-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so I sent the Jag to my mechanics who service my 240 volvo to align the bonnet.They said the grommet holes to help release the bonnet did not help them.The suggestion was to go to a body repair shop.Are there special tools they have? or perhaps they don't want to work on this as they might damage the bonnet? can't go much longer without lookin under the hood