XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheels toe-in when vehicle raised

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry front wheels toe-in when vehicle raised

I recently rebuilt the front end on my 86 XJ6 replacing all rubber bushings, upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks and rebuilt steering rack. The entire front end was disassembled including the sub-frame assembly. The original coil springs were reused. The initial toe-in was set using the string method between jack stands positioned at front and rear. The toe-in is set to a ballpark + or - 1/8".

After assembly and road testing something doesn’t seem right – when road testing at 20-25 MPH the left front wheel feels and sounds like it is toeing in out as the loads on that wheel change. I’m puzzled as to what is causing the alignment behavior I explain below >

When I jack the front of the car up and the front wheels leave contact with the garage floor, both left and right wheels spring into a toe-in position … considerably toe-d in. Additionally it’s very noticeable the amount of toe-in is not equal for each side, the left wheel is considerably more angled in than the right side. The toe-in that occurs when the tire loses contact happens seems like its “spring loaded”. What could be storing this spring loaded toe-in behavior, the coil springs? Is this normal and "by design" in Series III geometry? Other XJ6 owners I have spoken with say they do not experience any toe-in when the car is raised and the tires leave the ground,