XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how bad is this front end rot? see pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default how bad is this front end rot? see pics

so how bad is this? i am assuming it is my front crossmember...if i got a new one, how easy hard is it to put in...i am sure my mechanic will love me...how bad is the hole and rust ? do i need to worrying about it failing? i am assuming that would be pretty bad on the highway...

Attached Thumbnails how bad is this front end rot? see pics-img_3600%5B1%5D.jpg   how bad is this front end rot? see pics-img_3571%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 05-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

I know I am getting older, and the eyesight is NOT as it was, BUT, that looks horribly like the "tin" body panel under the radiator. It is also known as a "front valance". The actual "crossmember" is further under the car than that item. The "crossmember" is a substantial piece if steel fabrication.

I say that coz you have the front wheels ON the ground, and the front grille is prominent in the Kodaks, and the only portion of the crossmember you MIGHT see is the very front leading edge.

You should be able to replace that yourself. I have never done a S3, but the S2 was not that hard, a little time consuming, but not hard.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Very sorry. pdog2000 to be the Voice of Doom, but as well as your front valance being rotted out, (a cheap and easy repair if you can find a valance - it is bolted on to each front wing)), the cross member behind it is also rotted out, or looks that way from your photos. This cross member connects the lower front of the inner wheel arches and chassis rails, and is welded in place, and is a very common rot point on older XJ saloons. The tops of the front wings are connected via a bolt-on cross member above the radiator.

Repairs involve getting a new cross member, removing the hood, then the radiator and then cutting out the old rotted cross member and welding in the new, whilst at the same time keeping the dimensions correct, so you might need to bolt in a temporary bridge to connect the lower end of the two inner wings. You might, however, just get away with putting the top cross member back on temporarily whilst doing the repairs.

Having said all this, it is a fairly straightforward repair, but obviously time-consuming due to the amount of dismantling/reassembling necessary so that the rotted bits can be accessed for replacement.

Jaguar did a really stupid thing with this front valance by bolting it directly to the underside of the front cross member as leaves collect in there, and then water, expecially salt water collects as there is no drain at all, and then rot starts ending up like yours. When I replace my front valance in 1992 I put spacer washers on the bolts so the new valance was positioned clear of the cross member by about 1/8" so water could drain away. If you repair yours I recommend this action, plus waxoyling the new valence inner surface and the cross member internally after fitting.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

hey fraser...is it possible to weld up the rotted crossmember...maybe just add metal all around it and weld it to the non rotted parts...i am hoping my mechanic might be able to jerry rig something before i drive her in rough weather again...also what do you think would happen if it snapped while i was driving? or is that best left unanswered :-)