XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's That Time Once Again

Old 10-24-2016, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts
Default It's That Time Once Again

It's well and truly Fall; it's been raining for about a week off and on, rain is expected off and on for the foreseeable future, and next week comes November.

It's time to put Nix to bed for her Winter's hibernation.

I have been making a list of work I need to do (and mods I want to do), most of which require more than a couple days to complete.

So, tomorrow I'll pull the negative battery cable, jack her up and get started.

Good Night, Sweet Nix. It was a Great season, the Very Best yet!!
(';')

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 10:56 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I couldn't imagine putting a car into hibernation for winter, especially when our winter looks like this.
Good luck with the mods, hope it doesn't turn into another floor pan adventure.

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-25-2016 at 04:59 AM.
LnrB (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 04:35 AM
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,783 Posts

I also can't imagine winter lockup for a car.......as Clarke said good luck with it Elinor.

LnrB (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Elinor:

Ditto. "Adequate" will have to stand in for NIX. Treat him/her nice...

That time again? If only, it meant the rainy season to me ! I can and have lived with that since 75 when dear departed wifey and I came here from SOCal. Second time actually. Prior circa 63!!

Coco and I went out at about 5:00 AM this morning. Just beginning the predicted rain. Now, at about 7:30 AM, a nice drizzle in progress... No fuss here, we need it badly.

And, better yet, a "reasonable" reason not to try a visit to the DMV.
Jeep to get renewed, smogged and back in business.

If it were not for my kids, I'd be tempted to get the h... otta
this stupidity.

Not to mention choosing where there is no choice, ie the election....

The good. Coco is doing fine, I am still above ground, in reasonable
possession of my faculties, and the Jaguar, faults and all, purrs.

Carl

LnrB (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Guys,
One of the projects on the list is removing all the door liners to fix central locking.

While I've got the rear liners off I'll see if I can coax the windows to go down more than about an inch.

I also would like to flatten out the cross member where the beam fell off the truck in front of me, but I might not get that far.

I also need to find a caliper leak (oh joy), hoping it's just a fitting and not the caliper itself.

While I don't really Need one, I'd sort of like to put a light in the trunk/boot, just because there was one originally.

When I noticed steel dust under the trunk pivots I got busy and lubed them all. After that the lid won't stay up (it just barely stayed up before). I need to figure out how to tighten up the torsion rods, because it's a Real Pain to prop up the lid with a broom stick, even if I did paint it black.

As always, I'm sure I'll find some surprises along the way, but I should be able to stay out of trouble for the next few months at least.

Clarke, if I can At All avoid it, there will be No More "project creep" like the floor was! That was Ridiculous!
(';')

Old 10-25-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
While I don't really Need one, I'd sort of like to put a light in the trunk/boot, just because there was one originally.

When I noticed steel dust under the trunk pivots I got busy and lubed them all. After that the lid won't stay up (it just barely stayed up before). I need to figure out how to tighten up the torsion rods, because it's a Real Pain to prop up the lid with a broom stick, even if I did paint it black.

(';')
Been there, Her indoors just tells me now to watch my head when I'm in there. After many knocks.

LnrB (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Winterizing just means changing the wiper blades

I drive my Jaguar all year around... at least when it is back together... real close to being back on the road from the complete bare metal paint job...

Winter is normally project time but mine has been all year round .... have to get new front door panels due to the addition of the S3 arm rests and door pockets... there is an extra hole there now!

Car is looking good now... hope to have the interior back in by the end of next week. Note rear seat on the left hand side of the car... all is out except for the drivers seat.

Attached Thumbnails It's That Time Once Again-rear-end-back-together.jpg   It's That Time Once Again-imag2073.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 10-25-2016 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 10-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Good Job, Roger!
I Really like the S3 door liners! Ya can't have too many pockets, I say!

I would like to drive mine year round, because it's Really Poor (in fact it sucks pond water!) to drive the Adequate Vehicle (Sonata) after driving Nix all season. It has only half the engine, and although it's well tuned and matched with the 5-speed auto, it's noisy, rides rough, shifts too slow, lacks the Instant response of a well tuned NA engine, and sits too high off the ground, giving the feeling it's about to fall over on a curve. But at least it's uncomfortable.
(';')

Old 10-25-2016, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

The earlier model Korean cars seemed to perfect a combination of plowing understeer followed by a wallowing lean. Drove a modern Hyundai recently as a hire car, they appear to have sorted it out :-)

Good luck with whatever you do in the winter break. I expect scope creep will happen, it always does once the work gets started. Hopefuly it has some boundaries this time:-)

The following 2 users liked this post by yarpos:
LnrB (10-25-2016), ronbros (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

seriously LNB, during winter, you owe yourself a drive in a 2014/2016 Hyundia Sonata, they have come lightyears ahead of older models!

they come turbo or N/A, with automatic(for sure)!

LnrB (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Guys,
Steve: I don't think there's anything left to give me a complete disaster like the floor and console did. Everything I came across last time was dealt with at the time as thoroughly and completely as possible. Since I had my fingers in just about Everything, even the engine, I'm pretty confident I'll only find small surprises.

Famous Last Words!

ronbros: It's highly unlikely I'll be test driving another car any time soon. Not that I wouldn't like to, or look at a Hot Car, of even a Really Hot Car, but I'm trying to be content with what I have........ with occasional bouts of therapeutic complaining.

Some say it's good for the soul and mine needs all the help I can get.
(';')

ronbros (10-26-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 08:05 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Finally put my specs on and figured out what your first pic was!!! Cats don't hibernate they take extremely long naps!

At least Nix is at home, if he was stored remotely I suspect you'd be suffering from huge withdrawal symptoms! Tinkering is fun!

I've had my XJC sitting forlornly for about 3 years waiting for me to sort out a garage so I can get started on it. Now I'm wondering what on earth have I done!!

Old 10-26-2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by anjum
Finally put my specs on and figured out what your first pic was!!! Cats don't hibernate they take extremely long naps!
Looked at so many times wondering what the hell it was, yep the specs helped.
Not sure what I thought it might be.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

LnrB:

"At least it is uncomfortable"?

Some years ago, I spotted a Jeep with a for sale sign in a local mall.
I inquired and found it to be on sale by the garage there. The propritor's girl friends car. The guy that helped me sort out some electrics that prevented me from getting the Jaguar to pass the Special referee's test!.

I drove it home and took wifey for a little ride. OK? she agreed. This time I left her home while I negotiated. A deal was struck.

Then wifey fussed about it's bumpy ride for months. Fortunately, that subsided and she began to refer to it as "good old Jeep". Utterly reliable. And, not to mention cooool AC!!!

You think your hubby likes to hear about his choice being????

OTH if that is all you have to complain about, life is good.

I can't think of a way to restore tension to the torsion arms that keep the boot lid open other than replacing them. Might be busted???
The ones in a 71 Mustang I bought were cut to allow a "boom-boom" speaker!!! I got a replacement bar and had a h... of a time twisting it into place!!!

Remove it and splice in a strut!!! I'da thought you would paint the "broom stick" red!!!!

Boot light:

After reading a post or two elsewhere as to battery drain being traced to the boot light, I decided to look and see if my car not only had one, but if it even lit up! Yes, there is a lamp. It does work, but lit up is a gross exageration.

My Jeep has a light for the engine bay. Better, but far from being of much use!!!

Solution:

Each has a flash light!!!

Lights:

I was up early, as usual ands here in my "office" reading up on a computer. The lights went out!!! Pitch black!!! Outtage. Oh, h...

Oh, my cell. It provided enough light to get to my night table to get
my little LED light.

Then, my house issue. Power up a generator ? Went out and looked up the road. Aha, the lights came on. All is well, no surge to kill off a computer. And only clocks to reset on he stove and the microwave.
Got off easy, but the next time....

Carl

ronbros (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry about the Mystery Image, but I thought everyone would recognize a curled up sleeping cat. I thought I made it big enough too. Oops.

I know cats technically don't hibernate, but they sleep so much in winter they might as well. And, if we have a short stretch of good weather like we did in February, I might have to wake her up, give her a bath and see what it feels like to drive a Good car again. (I do miss driving her)

Because you're Absolutely right; if she wasn't right out there just the other side of the dining room, I would have Serious withdrawals.

And, by the way, anjum, Nix is a Girl! You should be able to tell that quite easily with a quick glance!

I probably won't use the trunk light very much because I'm not in the trunk at night hardly ever. But the hole is there and I have instructions from Jose how to mount a switch for one, and by that time I'll be up for a challenge.

It won't be one of those weak sister 3w incandescent glove box lights though, it will be an eye blasting Xenon with a reflector behind it like Wart had mounted in the B-pillars just ahead of the sliding doors. I picked up a couple on one of our numerous trips to local wrecking yards and it's burning a hole in my pocket, so to speak.
(';')

Old 10-27-2016, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Durn near twisted my neck out of joint figuring out the black blob
to be a black cat curled up and asleep. Looks very comfortable....

Carl

LnrB (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

odd i recognized it instantly! NICE.

looks ancient Egypt or middle age Chinese!

i love cats and most animals!

LnrB (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros
odd i recognized it instantly! NICE.

looks ancient Egypt or middle age Chinese!...
I think Chinese. Maybe middle aged if you count from the time of manufacture.
Perhaps even as early as 1982!
(';')

Old 10-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Oops, sorry Nix!!

LnrB (10-27-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Black cats!!!

1. In about 1945, my dad had one, a big old unaltered "Tom".
Name given with affection, but, hardly correct in today's society!!

2. My daughter could be styled as a "cat lady". Midnight is her choice. Altered ex alley cat "Tom". Now, bigger, fat, spoiled and a tad grouchy.

3. Oddly, she tells me that stray black cats have a lessor chance of adoption than others??

4. My son and his SO have two indoor black kitties. R2 and D2!!!

5 Were I to have a cat, which will not likely happen, I'd choose a black one.

The black ones just look handsome!!! The males anyway, haven't thought about a female black cat???

Probably, OK as well!!!

Carl

Search this Thread