XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learner satisfaction (XJ6)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts
Default Learner satisfaction (XJ6)

I finally convinced my daughter after 7 months it was her time to shine in the XJ6.
Although she is short and the seat doesn't go far enough forward for her to reach the accelerator the best,a pillow behind her helped. And could not adjust the side mirror enough for her to use,she managed very well after doing her 100 hours learner driving in a Mazda 3 (and one trip to Surfers Paradise in the Jeep).
We bought this hoping we would all get a bit of enjoyment from it,hopefully she will take it cruising to the beach with her friends when she gets her P licence. Only 3 months until youngest gets his learners,then we will be racking up the fuel bill.

NB: she did not inherit her parking skills from Dad.
Learner satisfaction (XJ6)-dsc_9898.jpgLearner satisfaction (XJ6)-dsc_9893.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-25-2014 at 12:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
LnrB (07-25-2014), paulyling (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 12:26 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

awesome!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
[...]

NB: she did not inherit her parking skills from Dad.
Attachment 91472Attachment 91474
But, Clarke, ya gotta admit there's no danger of getting Dad's car bashed!

You might not mind, but trust me, if something she did got the merest scratch on Your pet car she would never darken the driver seat again!

Not because a car got she was driving dinged, but because YOUR car got dinged.

Give her time, she'll gain confidence and get more precise.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
1.But, Clarke, ya gotta admit there's no danger of getting Dad's car bashed!

2.You might not mind, but trust me, if something she did got the merest scratch on Your pet car she would never darken the driver seat again!

3.Not because a car got she was driving dinged, but because YOUR car got dinged.

4.Give her time, she'll gain confidence and get more precise.
(';')
Hi Elinor

1.Only by the 200+ 20 something wakeboarders and jet skiers who frequent the boat ramp lagered up on the weekend,lol.

2.If you saw the dent she put in side of my Jeep with a tent pole,**** happens.

3.really,if it gets dinged it can be fixed. Would I let her drive it otherwise?...kerb rash, different story,that is just plain not paying attention.

4.Lack of confidence is her main problem,that is why it is parked that way. I did my 100 hours supervising her to get her log book filled out(her roadcraft is good). But actually learning to park and negotiate small spaces,she is doing that part in the driving school car.
Not because I worry about one of my cars getting a ding,it just doesn't end well mentally,we return home not talking. Yet ,today in my mates boat she was driving flat out and doing 180 and 360 degree turns at 50 mp/h.(I did have my foot on top of her throttle foot though) and we returned to the boat ramp laughing, driving is just not her strong point, But she has been jockying boats since 5 years old.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
LnrB (07-25-2014), paulyling (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Elinor

1.Only by the 200+ 20 something wakeboarders and jet skiers who frequent the boat ramp lagered up on the weekend,lol.
That didn't show in that photo.
2.If you saw the dent she put in side of my Jeep with a tent pole,**** happens.
Yabut that's just the Jeep! That's NOT Dad's pet car.

3.really,if it gets dinged it can be fixed. Would I let her drive it otherwise?...kerb rash, different story,that is just plain not paying attention.
Point taken.

4.Lack of confidence is her main problem,that is why it is parked that way. I did my 100 hours supervising her to get her log book filled out(her roadcraft is good). But actually learning to park and negotiate small spaces,she is doing that part in the driving school car.
Not because I worry about one of my cars getting a ding,it just doesn't end well mentally,we return home not talking.
You may have already discovered, when girls are hurt (or offended) to the point of not talking, it takes us a Long time to get past it. I know an old guy in his 70s who hasn't figured that out even yet.

Yet ,today in my mates boat she was driving flat out and doing 180 and 360 degree turns at 50 mp/h.(I did have my foot on top of her throttle foot though) and we returned to the boat ramp laughing, driving is just not her strong point, But she has been jockying boats since 5 years old.
Boat is entirely different.

I can throw a car around in the streets or negotiate narrow places, tight curves and parking areas or do almost anything behind the wheel, certainly anything I have ever tried, and I can do it Just Fine. I *Know* where my corners are. I *Know* where my tires are. I *Know* where I am in space and time.

A boat, on the other hand, let's just say you don't Ever want me at the controls.
(';')

paulyling (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

[...]
Although she is short and the seat doesn't go far enough forward for her to reach the accelerator the best
[...]
She must Really be short, Clarke!
I have the seat all the way back and could use another inch or two!
Three inches would make it even easier for me to get in and out!
Of course that would leave No leg room in the back, but only midgets can sit back there now.
(';')

Old 07-26-2014, 01:43 AM

That didn't show in that photo.

Yabut that's just the Jeep! That's NOT Dad's pet car.
We were at the boat ramp a weekday,no one goes there then,they all have to work.

Did you leave the gate open,you let out another yabbit

The Jeep is at the top of the list still, it gets the one inside parking space beside the trailer and bike. Its been here longer than the kids.

She must Really be short, Clarke!
I have the seat all the way back and could use another inch or two!
Three inches would make it even easier for me to get in and out!
Of course that would leave No leg room in the back, but only midgets can sit back there now.
(';')
I'm not tall and she only comes up to below my shoulder, When she has the seat all the way forward in the Mazda I can't even reach in properly to move it back. Here is a pic with her 2 year younger brother.
She drove it again today when I picked her up from work.
Learner satisfaction (XJ6)-dsc_3733.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-26-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

[...]
Did you leave the gate open,you let out another yabbit

The Jeep is at the top of the list still, it gets the one inside parking space beside the trailer and bike. Its been here longer than the kids.

I'm not tall and she only comes up to below my shoulder, When she has the seat all the way forward in the Mazda I can't even reach in properly to move it back. Here is a pic with her 2 year younger brother.
She drove it again today when I picked her up from work.
Attachment 91535

Do you like yeahbut better? Maybe Y'a'but. That's Yabut with apostrophes. It's more efficient to type Yabut.

OK, I misunderstood the hierarchy at your house. It's all clear to me now.

I'm thinking I might be an amazon compared to your daughter, maybe even to you!
(';')

o1xjr (11-09-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ugh!!!

Popup's here are driving me and my machine nuttier than I've been.

1. I was once 6'0" even. I've shrunk to about 5'101/2 or so. My dear departed wife was a neat tall 5'8"" or better. Our kids are far from short. Daughter at about 5'8", son at 6'4" or better. Dad was tall. Mom not so much. Brother a bit over 6'0"
I like the seat in the Jeep and Jaguar way back. when daughter drives the Jeep she scoots the seat way up.

Departed spouse, Ellen, never drove either, but in nher driving days, seat position mattered little to her!!

2. I do care for my Jeep. A loyal and trustworthy steed. It's heritage is at least as honored as my Jaguar. At 200,00 and counting, sans head replacement, as good as Jaguar or better. And, still tight and shiny, hmmm.

Alas, not room for both in my 40's dimensioned double garage!!

D...'d popups!!

Old 07-29-2014, 06:43 AM
Old 07-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

I think it's a great idea to have her learn to drive in your XJ6. Once she gets a feel for what a quality automobile drives like, she will spend the rest of her life with that as a benchmark.

The following 2 users liked this post by moronthethrottle:
o1xjr (07-29-2014), paulyling (11-07-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Clarke,

I remember those days only too well.

Son, now 32, about 6ft ish, turned up day after 16th birthday with a MK7 Jag, realised the short comings of said car, sold it at a profit and arrived with a S2 V12, NO assistance or knowledge of the dealings from Dad. Learnt in that, passed his test in it, and drove the pants off it constantly. Progressed to a S3 Sov 4.2, did not like it. Now runs a VX Calais Supercharged, and no sign of quitting it that I know of.

Daughter, now 26, barely 5ft (takes after Mum) arrived from school a week after 16, and wanted Dad to look at a car for her. She found a 1977 S2 6cyl, with a 5 cyl engine, and one owner. She knew that I had a recon engine in the shed, and since daughters do twist their Dads around their little fingers a tad, I agreed. Anyway, she rebuilt the engine (me watching carefully), installed it, and drove that car for ages. Got offered huge $ for it an Uni one day. Turned up with an XJ40 Sov, which still motors around today. Seat positions never caused an issue that I remember for her.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
[...]

Daughter, now 26, barely 5ft (takes after Mum) arrived from school a week after 16, and wanted Dad to look at a car for her. She found a 1977 S2 6cyl, with a 5 cyl engine, and one owner. She knew that I had a recon engine in the shed, and since daughters do twist their Dads around their little fingers a tad, I agreed. Anyway, she rebuilt the engine (me watching carefully), installed it, and drove that car for ages. Got offered huge $ for it an Uni one day. Turned up with an XJ40 Sov, which still motors around today. Seat positions never caused an issue that I remember for her.
Good for her!!
But somehow, Grant, I'm not surprised.
(';')

Old 07-29-2014, 09:13 AM

Just hoping my two can buy a swift or Barina, my vehicles take enough time. I already maintain the car of "Eldest", a blow in from next door and she is like our eldest,Bluey is an 8 year old Honda Jazz.
Then again I did show up at home with a 1958 Oxcart (morris oxford in 1983) on a mates trailer which my Dad and GD had running in 30 minutes,and I think it took them so long because they were discussing home brew. Always an adventure to be had.

I'm just scared because cars ain't what they used to be...simple.

Learner satisfaction (XJ6)-1958-morris-oxford-1983.jpg
Some say " I write the songs"

I have the pictures.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

I can see it now, Clarke. Every neighborhood/crowd of kids has one; someone's dad who will take the time to fix the kids' cars, do it right, and do it soon. That someone's dad is gonna be you.

Think of the public service you'll perform. You and all the other parents will Know these cars are properly repaired and safe. How can you resist that??
(';')

paulyling (07-29-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 03:38 AM

My daughter passed her driving test and went for her first unsupervised drive today, when she got home she made toast and missed her mouth 3 times eating it because she was shaking so much. She gets a little nervy.

Learner satisfaction (XJ6)-dsc_0994.jpg

Just hoping my two can buy a swift or Barina, my vehicles take enough time. I already maintain the car of "Eldest", a blow in from next door and she is like our eldest,Bluey is an 8 year old Honda Jazz.
Well, she now owns "Bluey". The Honda Jazz from next door, we take delivery tomorrow.

paulyling (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 04:21 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

I thought she would inherit "Fireball", really, and you would get that V12 the wife has approved.

paulyling (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 04:33 AM

I think "Fireball" will more than likely go to the son. He gets his learners in two weeks.....then I may have a shot at the V12!

5 cars here already

KK Cherokee
Mazda 3
XJ6
Honda Jazz
Vectra.
plus a bike and 3 trailers(box,camper and bike trailer)

Old 11-07-2014, 04:55 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

What is this V12 you speak of Mr Clarke

You gonna join the Super Cool XJS club?

Old 11-07-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by paulyling
What is this V12 you speak of Mr Clarke

You gonna join the Super Cool XJS club?
Loong straight road passing road trains, flat ,smooth and fast. The wife didn't even notice we were cruising 30-40 kph above the limit because we were being overtaken constantly....and not that long after I got my licence back
Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Last round OZ trip in the XJ-S and coming out of Mt Isa, heading for Darwin, and gaining on a road train, as you do in a V12, and pulled out to overtake at about 140kph, and "oh bugga" there are 3 of them.

Too late now, pedal to the metal, and hang on for the ride.

Topping well north of 200 at the other end and the damn thing was still climbing, damn I miss the V12's, A LOT.

Ya need a V12 Clarke, trust me.
Well Kirsty(her indoors) did fall for Paul's Goose, I think that leaves the door wide open. Just the budget that is lacking.
Too much work, and not enough reading Paul.

paulyling (11-07-2014)

Quick Reply: Learner satisfaction (XJ6)