XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learner satisfaction (XJ6)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 05:19 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
My daughter passed her driving test and went for her first unsupervised drive today, when she got home she made toast and missed her mouth 3 times eating it because she was shaking so much. She gets a little nervy.

Attachment 100123

Well, she now owns "Bluey". The Honda Jazz from next door, we take delivery tomorrow.
Congrats to the daughter.

Now the Grey hair begins. Yours, not hers.

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

ha ha ha, I can attest to the fact that it is pure driver satisfaction. Plus I have these two mates that are awesome helpers for my V12. One i have met in person the other I email all the time!

Its funny I have started to talk the Mrs into thinking she needs an XJR. Never mind we have 3 kids and a big furry dog.

I even told her we can take both the XJS and XJR should we need to go somewhere as a family (not enough seats in one)

Some how my increasing Jaguar obsession defies logic lol!

p.s you can always give mine a spin man!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

[...]
Well, she now owns "Bluey". The Honda Jazz from next door, we take delivery tomorrow.
You can't say you don't know the service history, Clarke.
(';')

o1xjr (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Oh, boy, driving tests!!! On or about 1946, I got my 23 Ford T to run. My parents were amazed, or distraught. When I got it, it was a non running semi-derelict, safe ion their minds. Well, I taught myself to drive it. Much different than the family 38 Dodge, that I did not have access to, except as a passenger. Driving test were administered by a State Trooper in my home town of El Paso, Texas. Cop said, no way am I getting into that jalopy. So, Dad relented and I got lessons on the Dodge.
After a bit, back to the same cop. OK, this time, I passed!!!

Decades went by, got two kids passed, this time in CA. A bit tougher. Son took his in my four on the floor 57 Ford pickup. Impressed the examiner as to his skills. I have an idea, the examiner could not have handled the granny box!!

Then, wifey got the urge. Sold the stick Corvair and got a used 65 autobox car. Durn thing let her/us down. Starter conked out at test time!! Coaxed it into action, went hoe. changed it. Back again. done deal.

Deja vu! The present lump starter quit yesterday. Not unexpected. New unit on the bench. Swap on the agenda for today.

A gotta be. Daughter has the Jeep. "LnrB, tios far from a "only the Jeep". History as honorable as Jaguar. Tough as nails. Clean, tight, shiny and running great at well over 200K. No blown head gasket on this iron 6!!

Carl

Old 11-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
[...] "LnrB, tios far from a "only the Jeep". History as honorable as Jaguar. Tough as nails. Clean, tight, shiny and running great at well over 200K. No blown head gasket on this iron 6!!

Carl
I know, Carl, that was my point in that conversation.
If I had a classic Jeep you can be sure I would also drive it as it was intended to be driven, except the Great Enthusiasm and Enormous Panache would be off road somewhere.
(';')

Old 11-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

LnrB:

True!!

My first introduction to Jeeps was in an officer prep course, right after being commisioned in 1951 as a 'shave tail". Our assignments were to recon sites for
AA battery locations circa TWC, now UTEP. As a native, I was chosen as chauffeur.
We drew Jeeps form the motor pool. No need for 4wd. Roads and streets close enough to do the job. A ball to drive that little flat fender.

Well before that time, dad got me some seat time in his "company car" as a foreman at the Fort Bliss Post Engineer job. A Dodge 3/4 ton "weapons carrier". A really tough truck. Granny on the floor and no frills. Not even a top!!! Double clutched it.

On assignment to AA batteries in Germany, more seat time in them. A ball to a young car nut.

Then, decades later a 51/56 Jeep pickup. A lump with a 283. It had it's issues. Tough as nails and a ball to drive.

But, my 94 is more SUV than it's forebearers. As to function and size it reminds me of our family 38 Dodge. A lot of bells and whistles, not there in it's early relatives.
But, utility, oh yeah.

A great stable mate to the 83 Jag lump. To be cared for and not mistreated.

"Tis only the Jeep", nope it is the Jeep.

Play on words. Fair Weather Lady or Lady Weather Fair. You are NOT the former !!

Off to work as the seven dwarf's would whistle.

Carl

Then, in

Old 11-09-2014, 02:48 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts
Default Special touch

Bluey arrived and I gave it the special touch(5 hours interior cleaning), then sent the daughter off to Supercheap Auto with my card to pick out seat covers,hub caps,speakers etc.
She only gets her first car once, so I have detailed the inside. Will do the outside on my next day off then get the rego transferred and after that it is up to her to keep it clean,I will service it.

Learner satisfaction (XJ6)-dsc_0998.jpgLearner satisfaction (XJ6)-dsc_0999.jpg

Two weeks until the next one gets the learner licence and starts driving the XJ6.

paulyling (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 03:43 AM

Clarke, your spoiler her HAHAHAHA, I know Dads do that.

Mine has always done, and still does all her own servicing. The boyfriend (husband as of 29/11) is not allowed to touch her car, FULL STOP.

Nice Jazz, even if its not a Jag.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
LnrB (11-09-2014), o1xjr (11-09-2014), paulyling (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Nice Jazz, even if its not a Jag.
Well, at least it starts with a "J"

Never attempt to replace an H4 bulb in one of these baby's. 1.5 hours and lots of skin off.Had to remove battery, battery tray, cold air intake ,vacuum tank and many other toy parts to get my hand through a hole too small to extract the bulb while holding it.

But in the end,it is in the fleet now and I have to deal with it. $800, can't complain too much. It has 500 bucks worth of rego on it.

Last edited by o1xjr; 11-09-2014 at 04:35 AM.
paulyling (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 05:00 AM

Sweet ride for that money, no arguement from me.

Had a lady in for a headlight bulB on a new Hyundai on Saturday, and usually we will fit them as part of tHE PR stuff.

NO WAY, the front bumper has to come off, tHE actual headlamp needs to be removed, and them the bulb can be replaced, DUH.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
o1xjr (11-10-2014), paulyling (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
NO WAY, the front bumper has to come off, tHE actual headlamp needs to be removed, and them the bulb can be replaced, DUH.
I did consider bumper removal, that was the only way to remove the headlight assembly?
But then you gotta disable the airbag as well, so just struggled the old fashioned way.(beer & time)

This car has been mechanically in my care since the new car warranty ran out. So I do know it's history.

paulyling (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah!!!

A bit back, I tried to replace a tail lamp bulb in my daughter's Passat. Two doors to get past. I got past one. Her friendly neighborhood mechanic specializes in Deutsche vagens. He had a spare and did it free.

I changed one in my Jeep. Gee, I thought that acess was dumb. Yank the battery for the right side and the air box for the left. And the securing nuts are plastic. You think corroded metal is hard to deal with? I've no idea as to how to do it with plastic. I am ashamed to tell how I secured the bulbs in place and will not.

Doing the fiddly Jag lamp was a breeze, even if it turned out to not be the cause of darkness on that side!!!

Neat little "puddle Jumper", definitely a gal car.

Good on you.

Carl.

o1xjr (11-10-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

PS rest from jag work today. And, my Jeep is due back by daughter with a promise of a nice dinner.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Aww, Clarke, what a Cute little Blue Bug!
I shudder to think of a car in such condition it takes 5 hours to clean out the inside.

You must have given it the Concours d'Elegance treatment. I can just see you in there with a tooth brush cleaning all the nooks and crevasses.

Did she inherit your neatnik gene?
(';')

Old 11-10-2014, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
Aww, Clarke, what a Cute little Blue Bug!
I shudder to think of a car in such condition it takes 5 hours to clean out the inside.

You must have given it the Concours d'Elegance treatment. I can just see you in there with a tooth brush cleaning all the nooks and crevasses.

Did she inherit your neatnik gene?
(';')
Was the neighbours daughter,not mine. My daughter said she would not hop in it until the smell had gone! The cup holders and change tubs had about 5 mm of goo in the bottom. Had to pour boiling water in anything that would hold it to dissolve the crap. Every thing ,and I mean everything had to be sponged with hot water to get sticky stuff off.
1.5 x 30 litre bins of crap off the floor and in the boot. cut seat covers off and threw away mats(yuk).
I only looked after the mechanical side of it. When I drove it on Saturday I was bit like being in a public toilet,not wanting to touch door handles etc.
All good now, it got the daughters seal of approval when it was finished.
RWC done at work tomorrow then rego transfer and away she goes.

Last edited by o1xjr; 11-10-2014 at 04:43 AM.
paulyling (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

lol "public toilet"

Old 11-10-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by paulyling
lol "public toilet"
Yep. you know when you have to grab the door handle to get out after you have passed the taps and washed your hands.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Was the neighbours daughter,not mine.
I understood that, Clarke, you did mention the car had belonged to Eldest.
My daughter said she would not hop in it until the smell had gone!
Had she not ever ridden in it previously?
The cup holders and change tubs had about 5 mm of goo in the bottom. Had to pour boiling water in anything that would hold it to dissolve the crap. Every thing ,and I mean everything had to be sponged with hot water to get sticky stuff off.
1.5 x 30 litre bins of crap off the floor and in the boot. cut seat covers off and threw away mats(yuk).
I KNOW that car! They called it the Garbage Scow!
All good now, it got the daughters seal of approval when it was finished.
I meant, did Your Daughter get your neatnik gene? It sounds like she might have at least benefited from early parental influence.
(';')

Old 11-11-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
Had she not ever ridden in it previously?
I KNOW that car! They called it the Garbage Scow!
I meant, did Your Daughter get your neatnik gene? It sounds like she might have at least benefited from early parental influence.
(';')
She rode in it plenty, but always asked when she got home if her hair smelled like the car. A couple of thing I picked up when cleaning it had me near throwing up.
I hope she keeps it clean.

LnrB (11-11-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Default Second time around,"L"

My son got his L's today, so being a good Dad I drove him to the transport office in the XJ6 and reverse parked it.
So his first drive apart from on the beach with nothing around for miles(a couple of years ago), was to get a 4.8 meter car out of the parking spot. Made it home in one piece after a couple of close calls, I had to reverse out of a spot he got us into accidently. Missed a parked car by mm's

Learner satisfaction (XJ6)-dsc_1145.jpgLearner satisfaction (XJ6)-dsc_1146.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 12-10-2014 at 11:05 PM.
paulyling (12-11-2014)

Quick Reply: Learner satisfaction (XJ6)