XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learner satisfaction (XJ6)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:38 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Great goin Ed! He'll be fine once he gets movin. And what a better way to learn than in an XJ6...coolness

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,955 Likes on 5,298 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
My son got his L's today,[...]. Missed a parked car by mm's
Congratulations to your son, Clarke!
He does look like a chip off the old block!

Where I grew up, a couple mm's miss was as good as a mile. As long as you didn't trade paint all was good. My dad would say, "You'll sweat blood now for a couple years."
I have NO idea why he would say such a thing!
(';')

o1xjr (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 04:43 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
Great goin Ed! He'll be fine once he gets movin. And what a better way to learn than in an XJ6...coolness
He got couple of hours in the Mazda as well, off in the Jeep tomorrow.

Originally Posted by LnrB
Where I grew up, a couple mm's miss was as good as a mile. As long as you didn't trade paint all was good.
(';')
Like you, where I grew up you drove on the family's farms,truck yards or in the bush before you got anywhere near the road. The day I did my driving test was the first time I drove on a public road,(had motorcycle miles under the belt though).
City kids these day's don't often get that luxury.

My Grandfather always said an inch is as good a mile.

Last edited by o1xjr; 12-11-2014 at 04:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
LnrB (12-11-2014), paulyling (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I grew up in a small town in west Texas. Many of the city streets were not paved. Just messy clay or rock strewn. I got my first car, a 23 T roadster pickup to run with pal, Billy, a master at T's. Never drove a cart in my life except when an uncle pulled the tireless derelict to out house. Then, a bunch of times behind Billy's slick 27 til mine fired!! Yahoo. Rounded up some tires. Drove it and drove it. At times parents aware and at times, not. Well, the cop that was to test me refused to get in my T!!!

Dad to the rescue. lessons in the family 38 Dodge. Even took me to work a time or two, and got lessons in his assigned "company car", on the staff of the post engineer. A Dodge 3/4 ton weapons carrier.

Much later, my son was ready to get behind the wheel. My freeway flyer was a tough 57 Ford pickup with a Thunderbird engine and compound low transmission. North of where we lived, was an old oil field. Many dirt roads and hills and turns. Didn't take him long to get the hang of the clutch and shifting.

And, my dear departed wife's adventures in driving were tales in themselves.

Carl

The following 3 users liked this post by JagCad:
LnrB (12-11-2014), o1xjr (12-12-2014), paulyling (12-11-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 06:12 AM

10 pm, just asked the lad if he wants to do 2 hour cruise tomorrow. His answer was,can we take the Mazda? It's got air-con.
My answer was "toughen up sunshine" you can wind down the windows in the Jag". Had his learners 24 hours, done 1 hour in the Jag(first drive), 2 hours in the Mazda and 1 hour in the Jeep and driven it across a round-a -bout.
( not as easy as WRC on the xbox or Need For Speed on PS4!)
Good thing is I get to choose the car....Jag it is.

Learner satisfaction (XJ6)-dsc_1145.jpg

paulyling (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

[...] Had his learners 24 hours,[...] 1 hour in the Jeep and driven it across a round-a -bout.
Don't be too hard on him, Clarke.
There are no words in the English language, spoken or written, verbal or sign, to describe how much I Despise Round-Abouts!

In town, they've completely Destroyed the traffic flow on almost all major intersections with these abominations. Every time I encounter one I want to drive right across it, which I could do that with most of them while driving my work truck as they're little more than a curbed, landscaped circle in the middle of the intersection. But the cops watch these for just such drivers as me so I resist.

By Law they are required to hold public meetings and take into account property owners opinions before construction begins but those meetings are a mere formality. The plans are already "approved" and the bids let before anyone gets wind of the plans; at which meetings (which are often quite heated) the RESIDENTS who will be most effected by one of these monstrosities (that will increase traffic confusion and take a Large portion of their property if they have the misfortune of owing a corner lot) DON'T WANT IT IN THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD!

No matter, construction is scheduled to begin before the meeting is planned.
(';')

Old 12-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

LnrB:

I share your pain. There is only one sorta roundabout around here. it just grew as houses were built in an area that was orchards before. The country lanes just converged in roundabout fashion!!

But, a smart a..'d developer wants to build a "village" nearby. Including a 7 story apt/retail combo. The area is very close by. And, this area is sorta rural. It includes a "roundabout at a "slanted T" intersection. Why, I dunno, it would be a solution where none is needed. Just being "cute", I think. We have two neighborhood associations. Each with completely different views. War in progress.

Our local water district has meetings to decide things. Huh, like yours, done deal before it is even convened.

Only thing that would confuse me more as to roundabouts, would be in a RHD car driving on the left side!!

Jaguar still on red line. Everything is soaking wet.

Errands to do in a bit. A test of fix I did on daughter's Passat. She has my Jeep.

Carl

LnrB (12-12-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 01:56 AM

He went for his first drive with a real driving instructor today( same one my daughter used).
When Ed was in the car the instructor said " have you been learning in the Jag, is it a V12 or V8?" (L plates might be a give away). Ed said "no idea".
Most XJ6's still registered here have been lumped, so you mainly see XJ12's or lumps. Not so common to see a series 1 with a 6. In my city anyway.

paulyling (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
LnrB:

I share your pain. There is only one sorta roundabout around here. it just grew as houses were built in an area that was orchards before. The country lanes just converged in roundabout fashion!!

But, a smart a..'d developer wants to build a "village" nearby. Including a 7 story apt/retail combo. The area is very close by. And, this area is sorta rural. It includes a "roundabout at a "slanted T" intersection. Why, I dunno, it would be a solution where none is needed. Just being "cute", I think. We have two neighborhood associations. Each with completely different views. War in progress.

Our local water district has meetings to decide things. Huh, like yours, done deal before it is even convened.

Only thing that would confuse me more as to roundabouts, would be in a RHD car driving on the left side!!

Jaguar still on red line. Everything is soaking wet.

Errands to do in a bit. A test of fix I did on daughter's Passat. She has my Jeep.

Carl
Never really understood the aversion to roundabouts. To me they seem to be a good thing to slow people down at junctions with the opportunity to keep moving. All depends what you are more used to I guess. You guys would go nuts driving in the UK, they love them.

paulyling (12-14-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by yarpos
Never really understood the aversion to roundabouts. To me they seem to be a good thing to slow people down at junctions with the opportunity to keep moving. All depends what you are more used to I guess. You guys would go nuts driving in the UK, they love them.

I Love roundabouts, just floor it and hope for the best! Not really, they keep the traffic flowing well if people can use them correctly.

One of my sons mates who has had his "L" for most of this year is staying over tonight. Every time I pick them up my son says that he says "I was hoping your Dad would bring the Jag". Loves to ride in rather than the Jeep.
Well, tomorrow he is in for a surprise as he will get to drive himself home in it!

Just haven't told them yet. I will throw on the "L" plates and give him the keys, he will assume Ed is going to drive until that second. Ha, I love the genuine look of surprise.

paulyling (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Thats awesome Clarke, your a top bloke!

Old 12-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

[...]
Well, tomorrow he is in for a surprise as he will get to drive himself home in it!

Just haven't told them yet. I will throw on the "L" plates and give him the keys, he will assume Ed is going to drive until that second. Ha, I love the genuine look of surprise.
That's just a little bit evil, don't you think? LOL!! I LUV IT!
You Will tell us the reaction, won't you, Clarke!
(';')

Old 12-17-2014, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
You Will tell us the reaction, won't you, Clarke!
(';')
Didn't happen this time, he caught the bus to his girlfriends place instead. Next time, I assume won't be too far away as they have 7 weeks off school.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
LnrB (12-17-2014), paulyling (12-17-2014)
Old 12-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Default Days of running kids around are over.

Finally no more learners in the house, but he's taken the Jazz to pick up his girlfriend today.
But he will have the Jag on the road before long, I think it's just a case of driving a few times solo in a small car first.

Learner satisfaction (XJ6)-dsc_4883.jpgLearner satisfaction (XJ6)-dsc_4884.jpg

Old 12-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Finally no more learners in the house...
Good for you, Clarke!
My dad almost cheered when he got his first insurance statement after we were all legal to drive without any probation. Saved him a bushel of bux!

He saved even more (on car insurance) when I left home. LOL
(';')

Old 12-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, 18 and out!!!!

Done!

Not really. It continues....

But ???

Rethought..... Not s much.

Carl