Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Back Up Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 5,315 Posts
Default LED Back Up Lights

One of the few Excellent features of Wart (2001 Windstar) was his back-up lights. They were almost headlights behind, especially when backing around a corner, which I do quite a lot out here.

Nix came to me with standard 1156 incandescent back-up lights, which left a Whole Lot to be desired! Part of that was doubtless that I was spoiled, but also, things have moved on since 1976.

One of the first mods I did was to get some LED replacements from O'Reilly's, which were a Huge improvement behind, but were actually worse for backing around a corner because they're physically shorter than the bulbs.

Last week I found some 1440 Lumen LED 1156 replacements on Amazon (yes, we all agree they're evil, but sometimes they're the Only ones selling whatever it is.):
Amazon.com: LUYED 2016 Newest! 2 x 1440LM Super Bright 1156 3014 144-smd 12-24v White Color 1156 1141 1003 7506 LED Bulbs for Back Up Reverse Lights,Brake Lights,Tail Lights,Rv lights: Automotive Amazon.com: LUYED 2016 Newest! 2 x 1440LM Super Bright 1156 3014 144-smd 12-24v White Color 1156 1141 1003 7506 LED Bulbs for Back Up Reverse Lights,Brake Lights,Tail Lights,Rv lights: Automotive
I ordered 2 packages (4 lights) just because out here it's 20 miles to the nearest auto parts store, which wouldn't have them anyway.

So, it's Spring now, and it's Nix season, and as long as it doesn't rain she's my Daily Driver. I've started tinkering in the shop with her in my free time. This morning early I gave her a good cleaning before I left, and this afternoon I thought I would look at that RR marker light that has Never worked since I got the car.

But, I was interrupted by the arrival of the UPS truck and my lights. Oh My, those are Huge!!

You can see the angle I took this picture. They protrude beyond the reflector into the lenses!

When we tried them in the shop, from this camera angle I was getting good illumination from the Other Side, and not just a feeble glow!!

That worked so well that after dark I backed her out like I normally would. These LEDs give a Very Bright 170 degree fan of light, bright enough to see a black cow at midnight around the corner!

WOW!!
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 04-04-2016 at 11:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jag7651 (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,833 Posts

yes I know everybody is going to LEDs, but years ago I purchased Quartz Reverse Bulb replacements from JC Whitney, (sorry LnrB, NOT JC Penney's), and they are still there shining like a lighthouse when Reverse is selected. At first I thought they were going to melt the lenses or fry the wiring harness, but it never happened, and they have outlasted my marriage which makes them really special.

so,,,I prefer my Quartzed Reverse lights thank you.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

I know JC Whitney! My dad used to get stuff from them. He used to tell stories about Fire Injector spark plugs and Gyro Balancers, doing away with the need for professional wheel alignment.

But I was merely sharing my experience with these and where I got them, after my abysmal experience with the first pair. I don't expect Everyone to suddenly install LEDs. For example, I'm not putting them in the instrument panel, I like what I have no matter how many call me a Luddite.
(';')

jagent (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, J.C. Whitney out of Chicago. As I sorta recall, A similar company existed or perhaps the same under a nome de plume was Warshawsky and Associates.

A lot of stuff just fine. But, yeah that odd stuff. I don't recall if cow magnets for the fuel lines to enhance mileage and power were there.....

Back up lights to illuminate???? Never thought of them that way. Just as signals to advise folks of the vehicle's going in reverse..... Watch out....

I was behind a large garbage truck the other day. Lots of lights on it's massive hulk. The upper ones were clearly several LEDS in a single housing. The lower ones, conventional old tech incandescent. In my opinion, the lower ones were far more visible.

Truckers of yore included packs of 1156 bulbs in their tool boxes. Keep the fuzz happy....

Nowadays, the modern ones rival Christmas displays with lights everywhere !!! Good idea, see the things clearly.

Way back when I was a cub Claim Adjuster, my territory was the oil fields of SE New Mexico. A horrible case came my way. A big oil field truck and trailer lost it's way one night in a small town. The driver decided to U turn it across the road. Oh, me a family in a station wagon came around the corner and hit the trailer mid ships. It just went under it, way too far with horrible results....

The rear of these semi's have bars to protect one from "going" under.
Not so on the side...

A lot of lights along the bed just might have helped. But, better yet,
a better way to reverse course.

But, LEDs are probably the future. Got a couple for the house the other day. One in my desk lamp. Not bad at all.

For the cars... ????

Carl

Old 04-05-2016, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
For example, I'm not putting them in the instrument panel, I like what I have no matter how many call me a Luddite.
(';')
Elinor, you're not entirely alone. I'm a pretty stubborn Luddite when it comes to preserving the car's charm, especially the visible stuff! I wouldn't update/modernize these:
Interior lighting
Interior fittings
Wheels
Engine or other visible mechs.
Exterior body fittings

I would upgrade safety components if modern were proven better e.g. brakes, tyres, fluids, wiring, exterior lighting (but not LED, IMO they belong in my 12 month old VW, not my classic Jag).

Old 04-06-2016, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Carl:
LEDs are probably the future, because they need so much less power. Husband is looking for LED replacements for the shop lights and has been disappointed so far. But they have yet to develop suitable LED headlights except for the decorative angel eye things which I don't like.

Tony:
I considered good backup lights a safety concern. When I back Nix out of the garage, I need to see around the dark corner to the hammer-head turn area. The house is on one side and Big rocks on the other. The lights are on a separate switch so they'll never be used unless I deliberately turn them on. No need in most parking areas or in daylight.

But just this evening I found myself on an unlit street which I *Know* has very deep ditches on each side (my normal on-ramp was closed). I could find a driveway to turn into, but couldn't see where to turn back out, Until I turned on the backup lights! AHA!! I can Only turn this sharp and go this far! They paid for themselves already.

I tried LED pillar lights, Hated them! They were cold and harsh, made the leather look a sickly green instead of warm yellowish. I put the original lights right back in!

However, I did put a very bright LED in the Opticell. I simply couldn't see the light switch and ignition labels with the original 5 watt incandescent bulb.

You're Absolutely right, part of the charm is the soft lighting. All that other stuff you mention, engine and trim, is how she came to me.
(';')

Old 04-06-2016, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I would definitely put back up lights in the safety category. In my case I have none. When the T700 tranny was fitted (before my ownership) the lights were not reconnected, and so far I haven't figured out the fix!

Acquiring a car with existing mods is all part of the personal buying decision, I'm just saying that I wouldn't change many of the original features on mine. I've never stood in judgement on other people's choices whether it be lumping or LED lights, we all have our perfectly valid preferences.

I agree that LED's do nothing for ambience, usually cold harsh lighting. I also have an LED in the opticell, but I pretend it isn't there! It's probably a lower rating than yours though, since the lighting isn't at all intense.

LnrB (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Tony:

The shift tower from an XJS has a provision for a switch
to operate the backups. Intended for use with a GM transmission.

That same XJS back up switch can be fitted to the XJ6 shift tower.
A big nut and washer clamps it into the opening on the left side of the shift tower. Almost mimmicks the XJs system.

When I did it, I found the wire back to the rear lamps and spliced it
to fit the switch. I could not find the original "hot with ignition on"
Wire. But, another one in the shifter cavity did it just fine.

Way back when, the combination neutral start/ back up light switch
on the Torqueflite in my IHC Scout II went bonkers, I merely jumped the NS feature. Just lived sans backup lamps. They were puny at best. Why did I not merely swap in a new switch? good question.
Because it would require dropping the rear transmission support
leaving me with a big transmission and transfer case to keep in place and me under it.....

I've done dumb things, but dodged that one.

Carl

jagent (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagent
Yeah, I would definitely put back up lights in the safety category. In my case I have none. When the T700 tranny was fitted (before my ownership) the lights were not reconnected, and so far I haven't figured out the fix! ...
Tony, I put mine on a manual switch hidden in one of the ashtrays. It's a momentary, normally off, so I'm not running around ***** nilly with backup lights on.

There are 2 wires with female right angle spade connectors, one light green the other light green w/yellow tracer. You only need to connect them together and Schazaam, you have backup lights!

I must be off to work now, but when I get back I'll post pictures in this thread of the switch and wires. It's Easy.
(';')

jagent (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Carl and Elinor, thank you very much for the tips on restoring my back up lights, greatly appreciated.

A few months back I had the console out looking for connections, or even wires, to no avail. Maybe I need to look harder for the wiring. With the aid of your tips I'll give it another go when I have time. I look forward to the pics Elinor, thanks again!

LnrB (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Often get tempted to fit really bright led bulbs in my fog lights and brake lights, just to annoy and compete with the Audi, BMW etc. brigade with the eye piercing rear brake and fog lights.
Definitely want as bright as possible in the reversing ones.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Default Manual Reverse Light Switch

Like many other V8 converted Jaguars with GM transmissions, Nix's reverse lights were no longer activated by the shifter in R after the GM trans was installed. I didn't like that one bit! Out here in the Stix it's DARK backing out of the garage around the corner at night! Good operating reverse lights are a Must!

It's only necessary to complete the circuit for the lights to work. Power goes into one side of the switch and out the other side to the lights where it's grounded through the lights themselves and they illuminate. I wanted a momentary switch so I wasn't driving around with backup lights on looking dorky. That meant a toggle switch was out of the question. I also wanted the switch hidden in an ashtray so I could close the lid and it wouldn't be seen.

This is how I did it:

The wires for this are light green (power) and light green with tracer (don't remember if tracer is yellow or pink) and have factory right angle female spade as in the picture below. The reverse switch is that big ugly round thing.

To mount the switch I cut parts of the insert away for the wires (make sure to round and smooth all sharp edges!) and so it would fit upside down in the holder and the lid still close (this requires a Very low profile, normally open [push to close] switch). I had to extend the wires to ease connection.

Then I cut a piece of plastic the exact size to fit under the lid and glued it to the bottom of the ashtray insert. After it was well cured I drilled a hole for the switch and painted the whole thing black.

Much trial fitting was required so this would sit where I wanted it but in the end it worked. Take particular notice now the insert was cut away to sit upside down in the support frame, Red Circle.

No further attachments are necessary. This is very well behaved and sits in its correct position without further aid.

And here it is from the top, with the lid flipped back.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, this works *Very* well!
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 04-06-2016 at 11:07 PM.
jagent (04-07-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by anjum
Often get tempted to fit really bright led bulbs in my fog lights and brake lights, just to annoy and compete with the Audi, BMW etc. brigade with the eye piercing rear brake and fog lights.
Definitely want as bright as possible in the reversing ones.
These will do it, anjum! Most Definitely they'll do it! It's almost painful to stand directly behind and look at these lights!

I also put lesser bright ones (stock 1156 replacements from O'Reilly's) in the brake sockets. No one will be tail-ending me with those!
(';')

jagent (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you again Elinor, I appreciate all the detail. Cute design, and it turns the ashtray into a useful receptacle, I like it! It provides a real benefit and is completely concealed from normal view. Can't help thinking the red button looks like it should activate the ejector seat (of course, I'd open the sunroof before explaining that to any hapless passenger who might think it fun to irritate me!!).

Reminds me of a similar ashtray mod. I did in my X300, where I mounted a multi-socket USB hub to run front & rear dashcams, satnav and phone charger, all of which I had discretely hard wired to finish at the hub. Each socket in the hub had an independent push switch and blue light, looked pretty cool when the lid was open, and not a wire in sight!

Carl's suggestion of fitting the XJS tower switch also sounds like a good solution, but probably not as much fun as this set up!

Last edited by jagent; 04-07-2016 at 01:57 AM.
LnrB (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,833 Posts

Carl, I used to receive both the Whitney and Warshawsky catalogs. They were identical.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Jose:

That is what I thought!!

Elinor:

Nice work, no doubt about it. Momentary switch? Push down, lights on, stay on tll pushed again? Or timed ? Or keep pushed as long as needed?

In my car, one ash tray was/is devoted to quarters for parking meters. Takes a bunch of them when I go to town here. To be avoided, the town council has gone nuts....

The other for lessor change, pennies, nickels and dimes. Virtually
useless! So, from time to time, I dump them in a big jar. Seldom any coins in my pockets.

The local Safeway has a change redemption device. Dump them in, it
senses them and rejects odd stuff. One is a ten Centimes coin from Republique Francaise 1978!!! After the 10% fee, I got almost seventy bucks. A voucher that the clerks cashed for me. Was going to pay for my groceries, but, the tab was larger, so I used my debit card and took the cash.

I'll put the Centimes coin in my odd coin stack...

Apologies for the thread wander, but, it did relate to uses for jaguar ash trays, sorta...

Still cleaning up lash from a storm downed tree limb. My little electric chain saw works far better than one would think. About 12' of "log" about 8" down to 6" to go. That will test it...

Tie it on to the Jeep and drag it to the drive way intact for 'sectioning"
or cut into chunks in situ ? That is the question, as the noted bard once said.

The Ides of March, now known as April 15 is here! Ugh....
Carl

LnrB (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Elinor:

Nice work, no doubt about it. Momentary switch? Push down, lights on, stay on tll pushed again? Or timed ? Or keep pushed as long as needed?...
Carl
Switch is normally open, Carl, must be pushed and Kept pushed to operate.

As long as it's pushed the lights are on. Let it up, and they go out.
(';')

Old 04-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Default Series 3 Tail Lights on Series 2

I have been asked more than once how hard it is to put S3 tail lights on a Series 2, the arrangement Nix had when she came to me.

As I have been recently involved in the tail light fixtures I thought I would post a picture of exactly what the PO and his henchmen did to make this happen.

Notice the outline of the tail light and how the body has been cut away to make room for the reflectors. The two vertical holes mounted the original reflector I imagine. They aren't threaded so maybe there's a nut on the inside.

I took this apart in the first place while I was looking for why that marker light didn't work. Notice all the wires crammed between the antenna and the trunk wall making some of them too short to connect properly if at all. Talk about shoddy workmanship! I'm sure this isn't factory, so the PO and his henchmen just drilled a hole for the antenna and stuffed it in with No consideration of the consequences. But they had to have known!!

I untangled all the wires, put them out in the open space where they belong, reconnected everything, and Shazaam, my right gas gauge works now, for the first time in, oh, I imagine it's been 30 years!!
(';')

Old 04-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Received 3,856 Likes on 2,801 Posts

This is my series 2 Elinor.....your right there was a little hacking.

LnrB (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Great, thanks for posting this.

I highly suspected most folks cut the body to make the lights fit.

I am thinking there may be another way. I think I can cut off the screw that goes through roughly where the reflector is. I think having the other 2 screws will be enough to hold the unit in place.

I also think, having looked at the back of the Series 3 lights, that if I cut and reshape the reflector pieces, and make them only jut into the existing S2 space, it may be possible to have the option to go back to stock if needed. I'd probably lose some efficiency in the reflectors by doing this, so LED upgrades would also be needed.

LnrB (04-13-2016)