XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR Wheel Shifting...any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LR Wheel Shifting...any thoughts?

In my never ending quest for fixing my 86 Series III, my mechanic showed me that my wheel assembly shifts front to back by a half inch or so. The left side has no grease fittings, while the right side does, so I'm guessing that someone replaced parts on the right side. I'm not sure what to even call the suspect part that is faulty, since I can't see what is moving other than the whole wheel and axle. Has anyone had a similar problem? I have a wheel bearing on the other side that is going, so I'm looking hard and long as to weather I'm going to invest more cash into this or not. The wheel caliper replacement on the back was a grand due to the engineering party that was going on when they designed the real end...where else do you have to drop the whole axle to replace a caliper?
Anyhow, any and all help and advice is appreciated. I'm not sure if this is a dangerous situation or not...my mechanic was thinking that the wheel could come off while driving. Of course, my brake vacuum booster seems to be going too. And the air conditioner. And the oil sending unit. And the high beam switch. And the cold weather assist injector. And the heater/AC Amplifier unit. And the wheel bearing. And the strut bushings.
Rome wasn't built in a day!!

Old 08-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Whew, that "punch list" is daunting. Even if you could DIY it. Hiring it
out is an "annuity" for your mechanic. Lottsa thinking to do, huh?

1. The inboard disc brakes are a part of the Dedion design. Not a result of booze, I don't think. Very ingenious. reduction of unsprung weight being one of objectives. Good for all out driving. Not so much for day to day. Nicely done in the Jaguar. Hot Rodders and others, like Cobra replica builders use them. Yeah, when my car needed rear calipers, I farmed the job out. Had I been 10 years younger, I'd of tackled it.

2. The outboard upright that supports the wheel is known as the hub. attached at the top by a drive shaft from the differential. At the bottom by a long shaft mounted in a fore and aft position. It rides
in bearings and lube Zerks are provided.

The hub contains a shaft to which the wheel is attached. it rides in bearings as well. Unfortunately, lubrication is "by hope and golly".
No Zerk, merely a rubber plug. Insert the nozzle of the grease gun, squirt and hope!!

The lower shaft and the shaft in the hub is where I envisage fore and aft play to occurr. Fixable, definitely. Easy, naaah,

If it is the hub, I'd be tempted to source a good used one via David
Boger of everydayxj. He posts here and is a good guy.

William Lyons wanted a distinctive car, he got one. DOHC engine, IRS, oh yeah....

Carl