XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puddle lights are possessed.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Puddle lights are possessed.

I have a 86 Jaguar XJ6 that has a problem with the puddle lights. When a door is open, the back puddle lights and the side cargo lights come on. The front puddle lights do not come on. If the key is in the ignition, a buzzer will sound if the drivers side door is open, which is fine, but if you are operating the car and press the switch to turn on the cargo lights, the buzzer will sound too.
I verified that the puddle lights in the front are good, and have continuity.
Each door switch has two purple/white wires, and one black ground wire.
I'm not sure, but I think the two purple wires are supposed to be paired in one connector leading to the switch, and the black wire connects to the other side of the switch. Anyone out there have any wiring advice, documentation, holy water...

Old 07-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

I'm not near my manuals right now but here's a quick check:

If the power antenna fuse blows it can cause a weird back-feed in the interior lamps circuit....so check the fuse. Of course, if the power antenna works you know the fuse is OK.

That's probably NOT the problem in your particular case but it's an easy check anyway. Later tonight I'll look at the diagrams and try to help.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
86JAGVP (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks Doug. I have an extensive background in electronics, and this one's got me puzzled. Lucas kind of has their own way about doing things.
I'm not sure if my car has a power antanea, but I'll check into that.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Since you know you're way around electrics click here and scroll down to section 10.01 "Ser III 4.2 Interior Lighting".

http://captainjaguarscathouse.com/El...ec%20Guide.pdf

You'll see that that are two fuses on the interior lights circuit and a diode isolating the driver's door switch from the others.

Post back if you need help but you can probably figure it out with the schematics in front of you

Cheers
DD

86JAGVP (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Oh....don't scroll down too far or you'll find yourself in the XJS schematics and you'll really get thrown for a loop :-)

Cheers
DD

86JAGVP (07-20-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 PM

Doug, Thank you so much for the schematics. They are SO much better than the incomprehendable eyechart in my Haynes manual. I may have a faulty diode. That would explain a lot. I'm not sure if the power antenna is playing a role in this issue or not. It turns out that the antenna motor assembly is AWOL. I have an ariel with a broken off piece of weed-wacker line hanging out the bottom. I ordered an aftermarket antenna assembly to replace it. If that doesn't resolve the problem I'm going to go diode hunting. Do you happen to know where on the vehicle I can find the junction diode shown on the schematic?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

To clarify, the condition of the antenna isn't really the key issue. 'Tis the antenna *fuse* that matters.....but the fuse must be Ok since your rear puddle lights are working.

Note that the front door puddle lights are on thier own fuse, #17.

As I recall the diode is either in the driver's kick panel or behind the aux (RH) fuse panel

Cheers
DD

86JAGVP (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 PM

That diode is not revealing its location. I did, however locate test points and checked it with my Ohm meter which has diode testing capability, and it acts like you would expect a normal diode to function. On section 10-2 of the schematic it shows the diode behind the Comp panel near the auxiliary fuse panel on the passenger side. There is a cruise module back there, but nothing that looks like a diode.
The power antenna uses the same fuse as the lights (Fuse #3) That fuse was blown when I originally began working on this Gremlin.

Last edited by 86JAGVP; 07-20-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 PM

Okay, I got it fixed. I feel really stupid, but for the benefit of this post I will swallow my pride and admit that I overlooked a blown 5A fuse in the #17 location of the auxiliary fuse panel. According to the schematic the #17 fuse drives the front two lights and the #3 fuse drives the rear lights. Both of these fuses were blown. The up side is that I learned a great deal about the vehicle's electrical system. Lesson here is don't check fuses with an Ohm meter while they are plugged in to their socket. Thanks again Doug, for the Schematics. That helped out a lot!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

Good work :-)

Those old Lucas fuses....if you have any still...have a habit of being bad but looking good. The wire breaks off the end caps but doesn't look blown.

Corroded end caps and clips cause problems as well.

Good fuses and clean, tight connections solve most of the infamous Lucas electrical problems

Cheers
DD

86JAGVP (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 11:52 PM

I was at Studervant's Auto Parts today and was telling the Parts guy about the XJ6. He told me this joke...

"Why do the Brits drink warm beer? They have Lucas refrigerators."

I replied back, "Why did Lucas quit making refrigerators? They couldn't figure out how to make them leak motor oil."

You've all probably heard these 100 times already.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 86JAGVP
You've all probably heard these 100 times already.

Heh heh. Only about a million times :-)

Poor old Lucas really gets beaten up. I'll admit that some of it is deserved but I think most of it is way overblown.

Funny thing. If we have a 15-20-25 year old Chevy with a dead starter, loose connector, blown fuse, or rusty ground wire we fix it, shrug it off, and move on. If an old Brit car needs the same repairs we act like it's the most unusual thing in the world ! Maybe it's because we don't have a specific person to blame....like Joseph Lucas :-)

Cheers
DD

86JAGVP (07-28-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Or maybe we don't have a certain moustached megalomaniac to blame.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an issue somewhat similar, in that:

1) All puddle lamps work when their respective door is opened
2) All puddle lamps work when any other door other than their respective door is opened...EXCEPT...
3) the driver's door.

Doug, reading your earlier post does this sound like a diode issue ?

Also, in thinking ahead, is this relatively easy to source?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Comments, on topic, in way:

1. some time back, I wrestled with my "puddle lights. The issue "boiled" down to the push/pull switch in the "A" post on the driver's side. LHD car here. Logical, it gets the most use. Many, many cycles. Aha, a bit of sideways pressure on the "piston" and the lamps went on!!! I decided to take it out and try to fix it. Very delicate workings resisted my clumsy fingers. Luckily, I managed to get it back together. fixed, nope. But, no worse than it was.... More monkeying. Swapped in a switch from a rear door. Doesn't work at all. Stopped as I was regressing, not progressing!!!!

2. Head lamp "upgrade in progress. Fresh Halogens all the way across. Not that the "originals", sans one, were dark, but as a part of
"out with the outboard 5/14"'s, in with 7's".

Rock Auto sourced Wagner units. Interesting, the ones that were in place are Wagners!!! Slight differences, some matter, some not so much. New ones have three spades, old ones only two!!! Oh,oh, did I get the wrong ones? Not according to the boxes. But, that sure is no guarantee.

Swapping out seal beams is "a walk in the park". Done it many times. Not here!!!! The location lugs on the lamps are just slightly off. They will fit the bucket, but only with a lot of "jiggling". And then keeping them in place, while getting the trim ring's openings to engage the teeny screws is an arm killer.

Sure am glad I put the front wheels up on ramps to make the work level better.

Before I replaced the bezels, I decided it might be smart to see if they lit up. No??? What the .... Oh, flip the stalk. Better, only one inboard lamp lit?? Aha, I've been there!!! Did the time honored "finger roll" on the fuses in the box on the wing. Yup, all present and on line!!!

Old 08-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Screwed up. Not done, but it posted, anyway!!!

Car still up on ramps. Inboard lamp swap done and works.

Next project is access to the fuse box in the driver's scuttle. Nose up should make it easier. Instrument lamps went dark. Why did I mess with the dimmer knob? All I did was turn it. If the fuse is good and I am sure that it is, I'll remove the trip computer and access the dimmer knob. Might just jump that knob to bull "bright"!!! Bright, oh yeah....

7' lamp swap stuff on the bench. Figuring out the best mix and match
Base battered but seemingly complete Jag buckets, sans trim rings and bezels. Much better MGB buckets, but lack fasteners and adjusters. Three old, beat up Jaguar 51/4" buckets. Source of fasteners and adjusters.

MGB trim rings, of which I have two nice &' ones to Jag buckets?

Grind old pair of Jaguar 5144's to fit 7's. Yes, technique and tool to use in contemplation.

Fresh pair of Wagner halogen 7's on the bench. One mocked up, sorta !

Oh, Sanchez gave me a pair of MG buckets, already prepped. OTW, at his convenience.

Goal fresh halogens all the way across. Asymetrical, albeit.....

Daughter brings lunch. Yahoo, not my cooking...

Although, my vegetable medley to go along with "sauted' pork loin cuts was pretty durn good. Fresh Zuccini from neighbor's garden...

Carl