XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

The Mini

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,445 Likes on 5,460 Posts
Default The Mini

As Nix and I came out from town today (weather was Stunning after a couple days' rain), driving in the Fast Lane with my usual Enthusiasm, I caught sight in my rear view mirror, of a Mini Cooper S hurrying in the slow lane to catch up with me (I spend as little time as possible in that lane).

I thought he intended undertaking me, which I don't mind, but I won't slow for someone to do that, nor suddenly pull over into the slow lane in front of them (you'd be surprised how many times I see that). They have to be sufficiently motivated on their own to get by. But with plenty of freeway left he slid in behind us and stayed there, a comfortable distance but close enough to get a Good Look at Nix from 2 angles. He followed like that for about 15 miles until he turned off to another town.

Because I was driving, I didn't think it would be a good idea to try to get a picture out my rear view mirror. I could tell though, there were 2 people in the car, a man was driving, and the car was charcoal on gray like this one I found in the Net.

I imagine eventually I'll get so used to the attention Nix gets that I won't even notice. I kind of hope not though, because it's Such fun to see appreciative admiration mixed with a bit of curiosity in the eyes of onlookers like this, and to know that we've hit a Home Run.
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
Daf11e (11-16-2015), Grant Francis (11-16-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

I really enjoy the attention i've always gotten from my cars and trucks over the years. I guess that's one of the reasons I won't consider a new car.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,091 Likes on 464 Posts

I always see people checking me out. Well not me, the car. Im just not worth the effort it takes to turn your head! Lol. My pretty days are long gone!
Sometimes however it can be a real pain in the you know what! People just hang out next to you looking! Im 2011 i trailered my mgb from orlando to Tennessee to run the tail of the Dragon, what a nightmare! People hanging out next to trailer taking pictures which basically puts them in my blind spot! It got so bad at one point that i took car off trailer and drove it while wife carried on with empty trailer!! I wont ever try anything like that again without a covered trailer!!!

LnrB (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Guys,
amazing:
I had a Datsun SPL311 for a while, called it Rollerskate (one word) and drove it like one. I often found people checking it out too, asking what it was as all badges were removed, but not nearly to the extent they drool over Nix. No one even notices Wart (2001 Ford Windstar). He would be the Perfect getaway rig; just part of the gray/silver fog.

Darren:
Your MGB is so CUTE! No wonder people crowded around it! I probably would have been one of them, and I KNOW husband would have! He said the Mini just wanted to snuggle up to another British car!

My Datsun roadster (mentioned above) was often mistaken for an MG by those who didn't know MGs, but that was understandable as it had no identifying badges except just behind the front tires, so they could pass for twins on a dark night.

No One mistakes Nix for anything else! People know Instantly and Instinctively, That is a Jaguar! I'm only asked what year.
(';')

EDIT:
I just showed husband your car, Darren, and told him what you did with it. He said, "Oh. Serious MG! Nice Paint job! In that venue no wonder people crowd around."

Last edited by LnrB; 11-17-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Datsun 2000!!!

Daughter had one for a bit. it was white when she got it from a gal pal.
She got a red paint job.

A bit smokey, but ran well. Son did an the frame O'haul. No more smoke, and ran great.

Tended to run hot. Local shade tree busted the T'stat housing. Marooned.
Trusty FJ40 and parents got her back home, just in time for work.

Steady as she goes, 60 MPH ! More too many rpm's for that OHV Chev "knock off'.

Carl

Old 11-17-2015, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Carl,
My Datsun started out life as a lowly 1600cc w/3 speed. But a warped head and blown head gasket sealed its fate for a heart transplant; 2000cc Toyota 18RG with 5-speed gearbox.

I could get rubber in 3 gears. I never had such a fun car! It had a top but I never put it on.

I hated to part with it, but after I moved out here I couldn't drive it as it was only really good for zipping around town and not on the open road at all and Certainly not on gravel! I didn't want to see it sit and rot so I sold it to one of husband's friends in Vancouver WA, for enough money to sooth my broken heart until Nix came along.
(';')

Old 11-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

LNRB:

Not new to lumping, huh????

I used to see a guy driving a red one around here some time ago. I've not seen it for a long time.

I drove my daughter's a couple of times. 5 speed. Great fun.

The percussor of the Datsun "Z' cars. Son bought a couple of them as salvage.
a 240 and a 280. Stick shifts. A blast to drive. Very lively....

Carl

LnrB (11-18-2015)