Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 85 Jag xj6

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 85 Jag xj6

I have just purchased an 85 Jaguar XJ6 for 600$
I needed a second car to get to work and back, I live only 10min. away from work. I figured that as long as the car ran ok it would be worth it.

Well......first, I had to install a new altinater because the car was not keeping a charge. Then it drove pretty good for a little while then one weekend I had to drive to my Army drill. I got only 7 exits away from home and it died on the highway. I seemed like it ran out of gas because it turned over with no problem but it would just continue to die. I was getting great spark and I had good charge. Now i picked up a fuel filter and im going to see if that works. I was also wondering if maybe my fuel gauge was wrong and i was just out of gas. So...i was going to just put some gas in it but i figured that i should just change the filter and drain the tanks. Mainly cause i dont know how long it has been since the filter was changed and there could be old gas in it.

One thing i did notice when i was driving it to and from work was that it didnt have much pull. It really had to build up momentum, i could even have the peddle to the floor and still it felt like it wasnt getting fuel.

does anyone have any suggestions? any feed back would be very helpful.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome, I am moving your thread off to the proper area so that you can get faster reponses

Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I think you're on the right track.

When you remove the fuel filter empty the contents into a clean container and/or cut the filter open. What comes out of the filter....clean fuel or brown gunk...will determine your next steps.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Thank you very much. I will let you know how it works out.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 PM

The problem you describe with the engine starting, then dieing may be similar to my recent experience. It could be the air flow meter. Go to the thread titled 'Engine starts, then dies' for a full explanation.

Good luck

Ray

Old 09-04-2010, 07:43 AM

sorry I have not been on for awhile. I changed the fuel filter and the old one was clean. I did notice that when i turned the key to put the power on there was no sound comming from either fuel pump. Now I'm guessing I need to replace the fuel pump relay. I dont know where it is. Also, maybe there is a fuse for the fuel pumps that I could check. I'm not very mechanically enclind with cars so bear with me. I really like this car and want to learn and do most of the work myself. Plz help.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Simply turning the key "on" will not power up the fuel pump. The pump circuit has two branches: one off the starter circuit to power the pump while you crank the engine and another from a switch in the air flow meter to power the pump when the engine starts running.

To see if you pump you can put the gearshift in "R" or "D" and turn the key to "start". You should hear the fuel pump humming. This will tell you if the pump works but not how well it works. Only a fuel pressure test will do that. Give it a try and post back.

You can also bypass the fuel pump control circuit entirely, for diagnostic purposes, with a simple jumper wire. Locate the fuel upmp relay on the firewall....it's the one with white/green wires. Unplug the relay from the connector and observe which terminals in the connector are associated with the white green wire(s). Run a jumper wire from the battery "+" post to the terminals of the white/green wires. You should hear the pump run. If it doesn't run, post back. If it does run try starting the engine and see if anything has changed.

(You probably have more than one white/green wire terminal at the relay. Touch your jumper to both)

Post back

Cheers
DD