XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with fit of aftermarket steering wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 02:39 AM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Need help with fit of aftermarket steering wheel...

So about two weeks ago, I bought this steering wheel and had my shop install it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a very nice product, very distinct leather smell when you open the package, and the wheel has a good feel in my hands. It's a standard 6-bolt pattern wheel, nothing out of the ordinary.

But the shop called me the day they installed it and told me they had to modify heavily the way the wheel was attached to the steering column, and advised me to find a kit made for a Jaguar column. According to them, the wheel only has 3 bolts engaged right now because the pattern was off.

This car came to me with an aftermarket steering wheel, which was a Grant wheel someone added a Jaguar hubcap to (yes, it's as bad as it sounds) and made a custom wheel out of it. The problem was, of course, that I was staring at a hubcap every time I drove the car, and taking a hubcap to the face or the chest in the event of an accident didn't make me feel very comfortable. This wheel had also been sort of rigged up to attach to the steering wheel without the proper kit.

Anyway, I need to know if there is a hub adapter that will allow me to affix all 6 bolts on this steering wheel. None of the local parts houses (AutoZone, Advance, etc.) carry a generic kit that will work.

For reference sake, he's the wheel the car came with, which has now been ditched:

Jess

Old 07-31-2016, 06:53 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Hi,
Whatever brand of steering wheel you purchased, should have an adapter for the wheel to fit the Jaguar steering column splines. .

In my case I had the adapter (MOMO) but I did not like the final position of the wheel (too close - adapter too tall)

I took an old cracked Jaguar wheel and cut out the center part of it, so that it would mate with the Jag column (came from a Jag so it fit) and then drilled and tapped 6 holes in it so the new wheel could be attached to the now modified center section. This modified center section measured about 4 inches across. It is a thick piece of cast aluminum. The rest of the old wheel was thrown away. If you decide to go this route, get an old Jag wheel and look at the underside and you will see what I mean. You need to cut the center of it out, and make sure the final size fits under the new wheel . good luck not too hard to do.

The following 3 users liked this post by alynmurray:
Doug (07-31-2016), JessN16 (07-31-2016), Rickxj6 (08-01-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Jess:

Whew??? The one that the PO installed was "cute". The Amazon unit
isn't that much different. But, if you like it, that is what counts

I've no issue with the one in my car that was installed in 1983 at Brownslane.

In the project before the Jaguar, I wanted a slick wheel for my "Hot Rod" A, T, V8 roadster. It's steering column was modified Model A Ford unit. In all the detritus that I gathered was an wheel in lousy condition. I chopped away all the old hardened rubber and found a very nicely machined hub in brass. I drilled it and made a spacer of alloy and drilled it. Using button head Allen bolts, I mated an old swap meet wheel said to be of Jaguar origin Vinyl wrapped rim and holed spokes. Not quite what I wanted but looked great.

Or: I don't quite get why three holes fit, but not six. Six would imply equal spacing on a circle. If three fit, one could conclude at least two things.

1. Error in production.
2. Intentional variation for alignment purposes.

Comment. One thing I learned in college from my logician Philosophy Prof was "the categorical statement is false upon it's face".

"fits all six hole hubs" is a perfect example. Fits most, mebbe, all, nope.

Return it or redrill it ???

Carl

The following users liked this post:
JessN16 (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

You need to buy the correct hub for your car.

For example, this hub MossMotors.com - Restoration Parts And Accessories For British Cars allows you to fit Tourist Trophy or Moto Lita wheels to a Series 3 XJ

When I started looking for wheels for my XJS and XJ12C, I started the search the other way round, ie I found a hub that fitted the car, then worked out what wheels would fit the hub.

I searched for NRG (your wheel maker) hubs for Jaguars and couldn't find anything. Unless you want to start fabricating as alynmurray suggested, I think it may be time to use Amazons amazing return policy and start shopping from the hub first.

JessN16 (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

hi,
when you buy a steering wheel for any car, the seller needs to provide the Hub Kit as well. If Amazon cannot do that, then you need to return the product because it doesn't fit your car properly.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
JessN16 (07-31-2016), Rickxj6 (08-01-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

FWIW There is more to buying a new wheel for your car than just the style of the wheel. Some of the hubs are very deep ...putting the wheel closer to your body and making you reach for the stalk controls. I have relatively short fingers and the adapter for my Momo whel was just too "tall"

The one I fabricated is perfect for me. Took some work though. Lot of trial and error .. But it fits and looks good .

JessN16 (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 09:44 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Jess:

Whew??? The one that the PO installed was "cute". The Amazon unit
isn't that much different. But, if you like it, that is what counts

I've no issue with the one in my car that was installed in 1983 at Brownslane.

In the project before the Jaguar, I wanted a slick wheel for my "Hot Rod" A, T, V8 roadster. It's steering column was modified Model A Ford unit. In all the detritus that I gathered was an wheel in lousy condition. I chopped away all the old hardened rubber and found a very nicely machined hub in brass. I drilled it and made a spacer of alloy and drilled it. Using button head Allen bolts, I mated an old swap meet wheel said to be of Jaguar origin Vinyl wrapped rim and holed spokes. Not quite what I wanted but looked great.

Or: I don't quite get why three holes fit, but not six. Six would imply equal spacing on a circle. If three fit, one could conclude at least two things.

1. Error in production.
2. Intentional variation for alignment purposes.

Comment. One thing I learned in college from my logician Philosophy Prof was "the categorical statement is false upon it's face".

"fits all six hole hubs" is a perfect example. Fits most, mebbe, all, nope.

Return it or redrill it ???

Carl
Carl,

I checked today and it's hitting two holes (the bottom two), not three. My mistake.

Looks like we'll have to fab something if I want to keep this wheel. I wanted a modern-feel wheel in this car. I don't like most SI-SIII Jaguar wheels; the circumference is too large and the diameter of the gripping sections too thin. I feel like I'm driving a bus. The exception is the factory wheel in my 89 XJS, which I like quite a bit.

Once I had decided modern was the way to go (albeit in a leather and wood treatment), I quickly found I had very few choices. This one from NRG was the best of a pretty thin lot. They also have a three-spoke some of you might like a bit better (looks like a factory Lexus wheel from an ES series).

I'm wondering if I could use a kit for a MOMO wheel (if MOMO makes a Jag kit), because I've used MOMO products before and the bolt pattern on this wheel I have now looked very familiar. I really wish MOMO still made some of its modern-diameter wooden wheels but they apparently do not.

Failing that, it might be fabrication time.

Jess

Old 07-31-2016, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

How about taking away the guesswork and measuring the thing, or marking the hole spacing/circumference onto a template so then you can go hub shopping or manufacturing with some confidence.

Rickxj6 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

Buses and bus wheels are nice....

Carl

Old 08-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

If you still have the old one pictured, I'd be interested in buying it. PM me if interested.

Sorry I don't have any advice as to how to proceed - my Nardi wheel came with an XJ6 hub which made replacement a simple bolt-in (see my old thread on that point). While I've had difficulty replacing the horn function, the wheel operates perfectly when it comes with the appropriate hub - I echo comments above that its best to buy them as a pair.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Well, this thread drove my attention to the steering wheel in my 83XJ wuzza six.

I've been using a cover. Nicely padded and a bit artistic. Needs a cleaning. So, I removed it to do so.

Went to market sans cover. Thin firm rim sans padding felt good. I like it. Stashed cover. Back to plain old stock. Not bad atall.

Asides:

1. Wood and metal cutting band saw busted blade travail solved.
Courtesy a J-L lister and a found manual.

2. Continue messing with mix and match of parts to convert USA
Jaguar outboard lamps from 5 1/4" to 7's. Jaguar, Wagner and MGB
parts from various sources. Sanchez offered parts may bridge the issue.

Enjoyment of my car continues. Coco and I did errands in it yesterday. Temporary cooling period made it safe for him. Unlike many canines, car riding isn't the fun part. Being close to me is....

Carl