XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help getting brake pedal/booster into series 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help getting brake pedal/booster into series 2

I have a series 2 jaguar with a ford 460bigblock on and the factory brake booster and pedal setup wont fit under the bonnet due to the exhausts.

Im having troubles figuring out how to put brakes in?

Any ideas?

is there any smaller brake boosters which bolts to the pedal box?

are series 3 brake boosters the same size would one of them work?

I need brakes then my 450hp project is finished.

I was thinking about a trailer brake master cylinder minus a boost as a temp fix so i can drive from one place to another. but then the factory pedal hasnt got the same connection ends as a normal car and not sure how to put a master cylinder on the pedal box

Also does a series 3 rear carriage fit a series 2? need new rear brake setup and its cheaper buying a series 3 parts car with good brakes then getting new brakes. was hoping the rear end would bolt in.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default consider this...

A picture would help foster some ideas. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is using the hydraulic booster unit from a 1988/89 Xj6 also known as an Xj40. It's not ideal but may be a good option considering your packaging. You'll also need an accumulator, pressure block and a whole bunch of plumbing. If you've stuffed a 460 in there you probably can handle this too.

http://www.justanswer.com/jaguar/1xc...low-brake.html

http://r.ebay.com/2hIQYg

Series 2 & 3 boosters are the exact same size.

All XJ, XJS and DB7 use the same rear IRS cage dimensionally. There are differences in hub thickness, Ujoint size, diff ratio, and late XJS and DB7 used outboard brakes. I'd highly recommend the rear IRS with the outboard brakes because the hub carrier is massively reinforced. IRS's that have Inboard brakes have hubs that crack in high HP applications. I cracked one and was shocked. I upgrade to a IRS from a 1995 XJS, droped in an Auburn LSD and it works great.

Last edited by icsamerica; 04-10-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 PM

will go out and get some photos and thanks for the answer on the back end. kind of paranoid my rear end wont handle 450hp now . . .
what year xjs did they start outboard brakes? also this is bolt in without any other mods i should know about?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Outboard brakes started in 1991 on the XJS. XJ6/12 got them in 1986/7 depending on market.

Pure academic curiosity, is there any big difference between the XJ40 and late XJS IRS? I don't have either now but I'm sure one will end up in my driveway at some point.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

here is a picture of my brake pedal space, need something to bolt upto this that will fit between the exhausts

So series 3 jaguars have outboard brakes as well? would that rear carriage bolt into my series 2?

Attached Thumbnails Need help getting brake pedal/booster into series 2-dsc02505l.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:52 AM

Seen im such a smart person . . . . . ^.^

With my factory brake booster that wouldn't fit i was like what if i just bash it with a hammer and dent it a lil so it fits . . . started smashing away lmfao. it came apart with the broken bits everywhere. spent ages putting it back together and it fits so now its pretty much running master cylinder to the brake no such thing as a brake booster now the insides are broken.

How good are brakes without a brake booster is my question?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could always move the exhaust. Is this a drag car, why is the exhaust exiting through the hood?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:45 AM

factory manifolds hits on steering rack need headers made but dont want to change the exhaust yet want it driving first to double check trans and all that is ok

Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Would have thought that the exhaust heat would be bad for the the brake rubbers main cylinder and booster.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default 450 HP not a problem for IRS

Unless you just dump the clutch all the time...the IRS should handle
the HP - unless Ford HP is different than GM's?

Surprised you got the BBF to fit in there!

Exhaust on the drivers side is a problem for us with GM stuff and has to be
very close to the block and dump in the middle...or crazy headers would
have to be made up.

If you use headers going under the car, use a flexible joint for the connection
to the head pipes - cracking of headers is a problem.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
...or crazy headers would
have to be made up.

It looks like that part has been taken care of.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 AM

those exhaust are just for shows really for that extra loud stuff. I got the front brakes in and working but now I think I have a blown diff =[ it has a slight clunk when moving lol 99% sure its the diff, but seen I changing the rear carriage over anyways its not a big problem.

has a question about my factory series 2 though. runs good as but when trying to overtake someone in 2nd it seems to rev fine as it should but when it hits 3rd it doesn't seem to want to rev and go any faster it trys to pull but just doesn't want to rev past 3500, any common problems with xj6s like this? im maybe thinking blocked fuel filter like my truck had but with carbys that wouldn't matter much would it because the carbys are full of fuel to begin with? I replaced the original fuel pumps the one with points to electronic version not long ago both brand new so shouldn't be fuel pumps holding back, not sure what else it is 99% sure its lack of fuel which is why it wont pull as it shoud