Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help removing trim rings from small gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Need help removing trim rings from small gauges

Hi All,

1985 XJ6 VDP - One thing I have wanted to do for awhile is something I did on my 1975 Spitfire which is to take the black trim rings on the gauges and remove the black paint and polish the rings. I like the silver rings in the wooden dash much better than black (and yes I know - glare is an issue but it still looks better IMHO!)

Anyway, got the tach and speedo out and was able to get the rings off and with a little paint remover, 0000 steel wool and Brasso to finish am pretty happy with result.

I did get the gas gauge out of the dash but the trim ring doesn't have the little tabs that I normally see on these type of gauges. Tried turning the ring but doesn't seem to want to unscrew or anything.

Before I just try to pry it off - anyone ever disassemble one of these? Don't want to bugger it up if there is a simple trick or technique that I am missing. Guess I could buy a used gauge and play with it but my ADHD/OCD really likes to power thru these projects once I start. That whole delayed gratification thing is always pretty over rated in my book!

Anyway, thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I've never removed them either, but I think they do turn and "lock" into place, did you try turning them clockwise as opposed to counterclockwise?

I do not think prying them is the way.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

It's been years but I clearly recall the bezels/rings being crimped on....and having to gently pry them off.

There might be a difference in Smiths versus Veglia gauges as well. Your '85 would have Veglia, I reckon

Cheers
DD

Old 07-13-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
I've never removed them either, but I think they do turn and "lock" into place, did you try turning them clockwise as opposed to counterclockwise?

I do not think prying them is the way.
Hi Jose,

Yes, I tried turning the ring both ways. Normally you can see the tabs that need to line up with slots in order to pop them off. The big gauges you can clearly see the tabs. The tach had slots so it was easy, the speedo had the tabs on the ring but no slots on the gauge housing so I just bent the tabs open half way around and popped it off that way and then re-installed by bending tabs back.

But, on the gas gauge, no visible tabs. Could take some pics later but no longer at home right now.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 07-13-2015, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
It's been years but I clearly recall the bezels/rings being crimped on....and having to gently pry them off.

There might be a difference in Smiths versus Veglia gauges as well. Your '85 would have Veglia, I reckon

Cheers
DD
Yes, definitely Veglia's in the car.

I am thinking you are right and I guess if I bugger them up, replacement gauges seem to be readily available and relatively inexpensive.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Default Results so far

Well, they didn't shine up quite as nice as the ones on the Spitfire, I think because they have a pebbly finish to the metal vs the smooth aluminum on the Triumph. I did get the bezel off the gas gauge, you pretty much have to open up the sides, bending it out all the way around. I used a screw driver and went all around it bending it as little as possible but still clear the rim that holds it on.

On the gas gauge at least the bezel does also hold the glass on. Be a good oppty to clean everything out if necessary.

Anyway, decided this was going to take more time than I had to invest tonight so just put the gas gauge back together, rolling it on the stone floor in the kitchen was a good technique to bend the bezel back into shape. And then just put the dash back together.

I may even just leave it as is for a bit, see how it grows on me and then decide if I want to take the time to do the 4 small gauges, leave it as it is now, or re-paint the big bezels black again.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails Need help removing trim rings from small gauges-vdp-dash.jpg  
Old 07-16-2015, 11:42 PM
Default Do not attempt this at least on Veglia gauges

Well, got the bezel rings off the gas and temp gauges. Dumped them in paint remover, and after 15 mins. Nothing. After the heat gun (on high). Nothing.

Figured out they are anodized aluminum. Very very very difficult to strip without destroying the metal. Tried sanding, after 30 min with 400 grit had maybe 60% off of one of the, and could see would have to do a lot of finer sanding and polishing to get this to work.

Read online that Easy Off could remove some anodizing. 3 hours soaking in it proved this wasn't that kind of anodizing. Not even a bubble or a mar on the surface.

Long story short gave up, repainted the one I had sandedon on with flat black rattle can and put it back together.

Good news. Ordered 6 brand new, chrome bezel rings from gaugeguys.com $140 delivered. Hopefully should be re-done this time next week.