Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New donor vehicle! (+pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New donor vehicle! (+pics)

Hello all,

I bought another donor vehicle for my series 1 restoration. I needed original wheels and this car coincidentally has a nice worn, but not torn interior and a manual gearbox. Unfortunately it has sat for a long time and papers are lost, so is the bottom of the car.

This car started life in 1968 as a LHD 2.8 automatic #210. It was converted to a 4.2 manual with the help of a series 3 donor I assume (it has the maintenance books. I don't want to scrap this car, I would rather (let someone) restore it, but without papers I dont think there is much hope and it is in very bad shape. The engine is seized solid and the intake is full of a rusty/watery mixture. I blew out the cylinders with a compressor and the rear #1 cylinder had water in it. I filled it up with oil and WD40 a few days ago, dragged it around in an attempt to unseize it but its still stuck.

The dipstick reveals too much oil in the engine. I think it has water in it.. I would like to use the crankshaft, if that's salvageable for a seperate engine-building project (series 1 block with new pistons). Will store some good parts for future restorations so I don't have to spend big money.

The manual gearbox I would like to put in my car with the restored engine from my other donor vehicle. Hopefully the manual gearbox is fine. I'll take the engine out probably within a week and report back.

No holes, no leaper!

2.8 badge

Side view

This door wont open and it's rotten through

The fenders look pretty good

Rotten

No heat cracks, this one will go into my other series 1.

Dash with chrome dials (2.8) and working clock!

Came with extra fenders

Thinking of swapping the manual into my other series 1...

No airco (cold knob)

Good morning with my new car!

It looks good..

Series 3 engine! And not a 2.8

Original jack?

Old 09-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Whew, that car deserves a fix!!!

Good and bad for me that you are 1/2 way around the globe.

Carl

Old 09-25-2016, 01:10 PM

I agree. Should probably go to the RDW (Dutch DMV?) to see if there is any hope for retrieving paperwork of this car.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

It's RED!!
You might want to check out Stig Bunzel's rebuild thread. You might find some pointers for what you could be in for.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...project-92771/
(';')

Old 10-10-2016, 01:14 PM

I'm sorry but retrieving paperworks for this car is like a restoration on it's own. I bought another car that coincidentally had the same color and I swapped over the panels and dashboard.

€200 worth of jag

Looks like a €201 Jag

The engine is a restored engine with +020 pistons and +030 crankshaft bearrings. It looks recently restored. Cylinder #6 has rust in it. After a week and a bit of tapping the piston it is free. I will clean up the cylinder walls and use this engine in my €200 Jag hopefully.

It cleaned up pretty well

Unfortunately I have no recent picture of the engine. I'm letting it sit with oil and hopefully it will turn freely all the way. I'm looking forward to driving this car on the road, manual transmission and 4.2 XK-engine Can't wait!!

Old 09-05-2020, 09:00 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

Your new car looks nice, I envy you but there is nothing I can do.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:42 AM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

That car will have the rare 4.09 ratio diff.

Rob

Old 09-09-2020, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scuttle vent grille

If that car has a chrome scuttle vent grille and you eventually sell any parts off the car I'd be interested in it. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:34 PM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=XJeej;1541271]Hello all,

I bought another donor vehicle for my series 1 restoration. I needed original wheels and this car coincidentally has a nice worn, but not torn interior and a manual gearbox. Unfortunately it has sat for a long time and papers are lost, so is the bottom of the car.

This car started life in 1968 as a LHD 2.8 automatic #210. It was converted to a 4.2 manual with the help of a series 3 donor I assume (it has the maintenance books. I don't want to scrap this car, I would rather (let someone) restore it, but without papers I dont think there is much hope and it is in very bad shape. The engine is seized solid and the intake is full of a rusty/watery mixture. I blew out the cylinders with a compressor and the rear #1 cylinder had water in it. I filled it up with oil and WD40 a few days ago, dragged it around in an attempt to unseize it but its still stuck.

The dipstick reveals too much oil in the engine. I think it has water in it.. I would like to use the crankshaft, if that's salvageable for a seperate engine-building project (series 1 block with new pistons). Will store some good parts for future restorations so I don't have to spend big money.

The manual gearbox I would like to put in my car with the restored engine from my other donor vehicle. Hopefully the manual gearbox is fine. I'll take the engine out probably within a week and report back.

[/quota]
Where do I find some donor vehicles to buy online please?