Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New interior updates

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default New interior updates

Finally getting around to finishing up my own car... putting sound insulation on the floors from front to rear and inside the doors. It really helped the
other Jag and my old Ford truck.

Then new Wilton wool carpets, recovering of the center console and the "B" pillar covers.

The rear window bar across the back and the "C" pillar pieces need recovering as well due to sun damage.

The biggest problem is finding the correct material that was used by the shop that is now out of business.. it was Mercedes 500 material - their special vinyl that is "coarse/nubby". First sample is close but not the same. All I remember is the material is from a Mercedes 500 (?) and it was done ten years (10) ago.

Have fitted PT Cruiser front seats in the car that are higher backed, they have folding arm rests on the inside and are electric/heated. There is also a storage bin under the drivers seat with easy sliding access (now- moved from the other side) But, they are black with red inserts and I want them with the same material as the rear seats etc. with suede inserts where your legs rest on the bottom cushion.

When the interior is complete I will have it sanded down to bare metal to remove the Imron BRG paint and re spray with more BRG in two stage modern stuff.

Attached Thumbnails New interior updates-new-passenger-side-old-drivers-side.jpg   New interior updates-lf-door-has-sound-insulation.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 12-28-2014 at 02:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
john_cook12 (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Gotta say I'm no fan of the new PT Cruiser seats (although replacing the seats for heated seats with storage makes a good deal of sense) but the sound insulation looks very well done and I bet that it really makes a difference! I think maybe one of my window seals is starting to weep air but riding in my xj6 at 75mph is slowly becoming like standing in wind tunnel and the lack of door insulation certainty doesn't help.

Where did you get the insulation material and what were the prices like? Cutting to fit yourself or were the pieces pre-cut? How are you going about adhesion to the inner door?

Great looking work!

Old 12-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,951 Likes on 5,296 Posts

Imron?!
I didn't know you could even get that in California!
(';')

Old 12-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Upon having taken my front and rear windshields out had decided to remove the headliner along with the cant rails and c pillar trim, rear shelf and rear windshield top and bottom trim rails. There had been water ingress onto the rear shelf which distorted the shelf backing material. I remade the rear shelf backer using 1/8" masonite (engineered wood). I recovered the rear shelf using vinyl that I ordered from www.onlinefabricstore.net
I had gotten 2 yards of the vinyl and 2 yards of headliner material as well. In the future (not that I want to do it any time again soon) I will order three yards of each.
I recovered the rear shelf in the same way with the same pattern of the material that I removed, including the center vent.
In recovering the c pillar and cant rail pieces the greatest difficulty was removing the original (I think) vinyl material from the hard foam pieces. Reinstallation was as simple as using the right spray adhesive and cutting a piece that had enough overhang to be able to cut off. My drivers side cant rail was broken just where it turned down at the top of the front windshield. I repaired it using superglue and some fiberglass fabric I had lying around. I fabricated new clips from a piece of spring steel (windshield wiper blade stiffeners) to the original shape. This worked a treat in reinstalling the rails and pillars. I also recovered my dash pad with the same material for continuity (plus mine was cracked). And with the left over black vinyl I recovered the two rear door ashtrays and the center console ski slope/shifter surround. Whew!!
Now, on to the headliner... The headliner that was in the car as I received it was stained and dreary. It wasn't sagging or damaged, just needed to be done in my opinion. The material that I got was not an exact color match but I didn't care as I was replacing everything and doing it myself. I removed the old fabric by tearing and using a razor blade. For the foam that remained I used a wire wheel on a drill motor. This got the bulk of the old foam off. Then I reinstalled the headliner onto the backer with the appropriate spray adhesive. I also recovered the sunroof trim piece. I suspect the headliner that was in the car as received was not factory because of the shoddy workmanship, so what I ended up with was, in my opinion, really quite nice. The sunroof panel was easy enough once I figured out how to remove the panel from the car. Reinstallation was simple too. Now everything matches and the dingy dreary headliner looks brand new (because it is!). Well, that's all I can think of for the moment.
Cheers

The following users liked this post:
john_cook12 (12-30-2014)
Old 01-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default B-Quiet Ultimate insulation comes in rolls in boxes

Yes, Imron paint that was done years ago, great stuff single stage and looks great but painters need respirators to use it safely - aircraft used
it for years... now not legally allowed in CA but still used... have to use the water based two stage stuff that does not last if exposed to the sun often..
clear coats go away quickly... but much better for our smog problem.

(2) boxes/rolls were $284.98 delivered. It cuts with regular house scissors and you use a wooden roller to attach/smooth out.

Sticks really well and you just cut and fit into the doors. Two long sections used per the inside of each door stacked on top of each other.

The rest is just measure, cut and remove the paper backing and lay down and roll into place.

Really cuts down sound and heat/cold and makes these old cars (also trucks as I put it in my old '84 Ford F150 4X4)...much quieter. Can actually listen to
a conversation/radio/music at a normal volume.

PT Cruiser seats are so much better than any of the Jaguar Series 1, II or III seats in comfort and features. Seating comfort is totally lacking in these
early Jaguars... plus the side bolsters hold you into the seats when aggressively cornering (which the S1 SWB with suspension mods is capable of doing well).

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 01-07-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Paint comments