XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New jag owner ,With a few questions

Old 03-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts
Default RE: New jag owner ,With a few questions

Mine is a 1984. same car. had it for last 16 years!

Test all the ignition Wires and the Coil; install new spark plugs (Splitfire plugs are good in my experience), new ignition rotor & cap. new K&N air filter, (for great performance), if that doesn't do it, get a new Oxygen Sensor, it's 5 years old anyway. All those parts (except maybe the K&N air filter) you can get at CarQuest, or AutoZone, or O'Reilly's, or PepBoys. If it keeps doing it, then you have to get into more involved troubleshooting of certain Sensors, like the Coolant Temperature Sensor. Also make sure all the large-diameter, air-intake Hoses (aka "Bellows") are seated correctly and tight all the way to the intake butterfly, especially after replacing the air filter. Check all Vacuum hoses are well seated too.
let us know what happens.
Jose

Old 03-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on the buy man. Great deal getting it for only 300. I can't think of anything else that Jose missed. Good luck getting it running well

Old 03-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

well I did forget something: change the Fuel filter - (car sitting for 5 years....) find it in the deep trunk, where the spare tire lives, remove the spare tire first...HINT: take a picture of the old one first, that way there are no doubts about orientation of the new filter. For this one filter you'll need to go to the dealer, sorry but... -don't use aftermarket fuel filters, use BOSCH only, the original type. before you do that, burn the old gasoline in the tanks until the tanks are empty, then refill with 93 octane just for this servicing.

WARNING: replacing the Fuel Filter requires that you de-pressurize the fuel system. Very important.

To depressurize fuel system: No Smoking! Keep lookie-loo's away!

on the front passenger side, halfway down from the right dash corner, there is an Inertia Switch, this switch will shut off the fuel supply (fuel pumps) to the engine in case of a hard crash; This switch is also used to de-pressurize the fuel system when replacing fuel system parts.

There is a black plastic push-on, pull-off Cover over this switch. you can recognize it by a glossy black button in the front of this cover. Pull this cover off, and you'll see the switch mounted vertically with a wire harness Plug at the bottom and a Reset Button at the top.

Remove the Plug from the switch carefully, then start the engine and let it burn the gas that remains in the lines, the engine will shut-off by itself. The system is now de-pressurized, and you can proceed to remove the hoses from the fuel filter and install the new one.

Then reconnect the wire harness/plug to the Inertia switch, push the button on top of the switch just in case it needs a Reset, and restart the engine to pressurize, you might need to crank for a while to build up gasoline pressure.

Buy a Servicing and Parts Manual in CD, also from the dealer, about $25.00. Very handy.

good luck.
Jose