XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 12-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,418 Likes on 1,933 Posts

[QUOTE=cythS2;1996610]
Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
If you were going to do a lot of miles per year in that car, then you'd no doubt run into the problems that the first owner didn't come up against because he didn't do the miles ! However, I expect this will be summer, low miles car, (correct ?), so you should have a lot of enjoyment with it. Main problem with cars of that era was build quality especially the body shells. Rust protection was very poor, so if you want to do anything at all to improve it, do the rust proofing now, and the car should then last forever. You have a beautiful car there, a very rare survivor with that kind of mileage, with wonderful condition of exterior and interior.[/QUOTE}

Thank You and totally agree. The original owner DID do it's servicing and then obviously didn't drive it. Much. For example to give the type of owner he was (or maybe really busy to be bothered) on one of the service records he informed them of a "sticky throttle". Well, the issue was FOUR stacked floor mats that hung up the pedal. Then of course,stated in dealer speak as "extremely unsafe". So I had TWO layers of floor mats when I picked up the car.

As for rustproofing, he had Ziebart done when new and all the plugs are there with zero rust underneath. In fact, it's very clean and original including the exhaust with the "crimp" style " clamps in place.

I'll be going over her over the next year and will enjoy. I knew when it came up for sale I couldn't pass on it.
Absolutely brilliant that the first owner did the Ziebarting. The car should now last forever with the usual maintenance items and replacement of wear and tear items. I had a Series 3 for 14 years and still hanker after that Magic Carpet ride. Closest I've got to it was my Rover 75 Club that I owned 2007-2010. Supreme cruiser but a smaller car than the Jaguar.