XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner of 92 XJ6, and having some issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 03:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New owner of 92 XJ6, and having some issues...

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just got a 92 XJ6 Sovereign, and its going great but I have a few small issues and questions, also we are going to take it to the mechanic to have them give it a once over, but if it is something we can do then I would like to give it a shot.

1) It seems to sputter (but does not die) consistantly in reverse and also during the act of being at 10,000 RPM and then letting off the gast (to coast). Hard to replicate the second one but the reverse sputter is each time.

I tried different gas stations to see if we were getting bad premium but it didn't change anything.

I am going to get a new fuel filter, and air filter but I am not convinced that it will solve it other than that any ideas?

2) The AC was converted to use the new stuff and it blows cold however the middle AC blower seems tempermental. I haven't seen it but wife says bedides a delay for it to start blowing (up to 10-15 minutes) even though the drivers and passangers have started blowing already.
Also sometimes when she is driving and shuts off ALL the blowers (because it isnt that hot or she wants the windows down) then she keeps driving for a while for a while and turns them back on the middle one won't engage with the rest, but sometimes it does.

Bit of a head scratcher for me why sometimes it works perfectly all around and somtimes its tempermental, not sure what is going on?

3) Apparently the driver side window washer nozzel is missing completely and it just sprays up like old faithful instead of on the window and the passanger one is clogged, i could clean it but I would rather just get 2 new ones, but i am unsure what ones to buy because every auto parts place i go to suggest some off the shelf generic ones and they dont look the same as the one that is on there so some advice on what ones to get would be really helpfull. thanks

4) When I go get it serviced I want to get oil change / oil filter too, but I keep getting conflicting answers about what Oil to use, some say regular, some say high milage even though it only has 65k miles and also i think high milage can be too thick for an old jag?

Also it is not leaking oil at all absoutely 0 drips ;D

Other then that there are some bits and bobs I need to fix and replace, if you have any other advice as we are new to Jaguars in general please let us know thanks!

-Jim & Charisse

Our (new) 92 XJ6 Sovereign

Old 08-13-2021, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,835 Posts

Hi,
you have a XJ-40 which is also known as a XJ-6 but is a different body style. See production chart below: Post your questions in the XJ-40 Forum since this forum is for the 1968-1987 XJ-6. Don't worry, everybody always lands here!!

Last edited by Jose; 08-13-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:57 AM
Received 628 Likes on 322 Posts

And a video of reving to 10k would be good. Just kidding, we all have typos. Good luck with the new Jaguar, get it sorted and you will love it.