XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxy. sensor ground strap and sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:23 AM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts
Question Oxy. sensor ground strap and sensor replacement

Does anyone know about this mod. - see link? I suppose you should do it with a new sensor and if so, can a generic sensor be used - like from a GM/Ford?

Oxygen Sensor Ground Strap

Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Yup, an old trick, and a good one. Not sure why the '1985' cut-off, though. A redundant O2 sensor ground is never a bad idea, even on the later cars.

Except the the connectors the sensor on your car IS rather generic...although I'm not sure if it's the same as GM or Ford. But they are lots of low-priced choices out there even if you specify "Jaguar". Getting the original connectors costs more but save the (minor) effort of splicing wires.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-09-2017, 08:49 AM

Thank you Doug,
I'm doing all I can to smooth out the idle quality. Am I correct in stating that the Oxy. sensor is just a On/Off switch and not a resistance measuring one. If the later, the resistance curves would need to be identical.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

A master of O2 sensors in any critter, I'm surely not.

1. The earlier units relied on the threaded male to female connection for the ground. Normal corrosion eliminated or lessened the conductivity. Hence, a redundant strap aided performance.

2. Later sensors were more complex, for my SBC swap. My effort to splice in added wire flopped. Shielded lead. But, an after market source provided extensions with proper connectors. Much better.

Brief interval in typing. Fed Billy and my guest "garden" cats.

Carl

Old 10-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

the trick was discussed at Jag-Lovers ad nauseum in the mid 1990's. It was a technician who worked at Motorcars Ltd., who was also a poster at Jag Lovers who I believe came up with the idea.

I did it to my 1984 and it worked, and it still works, but I never installed a new sensor. What I did was to fabricate a proper copper strap with a ring connector and new crush washer, then tightened the old O2 Sensor back, haven't replaced it in years, I just reset the counter when the idiot light came on. The idling is very stable.

I have those straps made if you want to order one, go to my website and you'll see them there. I include a new crush washer with the strap. A cheaper solution is for you to make one.

with mine, you connect the opposite ring terminal to one of the cruise control bolts nearby. I made them long enough to reach and have some play, but not so long that you end up with a wad of spagetti.

To remove and reinstall the sensor you need a special tool otherwise there is a risk of damaging it. If you damage it you'll need a new one. I prefer to stick with the factory part which is more or less calibrated for the XK engine. Cheaper O2 Sensors are cheap in more than one sense. Stick with the Bosch sensor.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Jose; 10-09-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by iramphal
Thank you Doug,
I'm doing all I can to smooth out the idle quality. Am I correct in stating that the Oxy. sensor is just a On/Off switch and not a resistance measuring one. If the later, the resistance curves would need to be identical.

It's actually a voltage generator

Cheers
DD

Old 10-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Just found this while looking for a O2 sensor. See Bosch fitment guide link here:
https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...k?partId=11027

Lists Bosch 11027 as replacement for 1985 and other year XJ6 models. $30.00 Can. $$ delivered. Have ordered it and now for the ground strap. Will advise outcome.