XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Please help! Dashboard needs rewiring!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Please help! Dashboard needs rewiring!

Hi there all,
I was removing the dashboard in the Jaguar to refinish it, taking pictures along the way to help with reassembly. I uploaded these pictures to the computer, then deleted them from the camera . Since then... the computer crashed and now I have no way of knowing how to wire up the gauges for the Jag I've figured out how to re-install it, but still have no idea how to wire up the gauges - will one of you learned people please help?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

To receive a more detailed reply from the guys that know, you need to include model and year.

In the meantime you should be able to download the electrical diagrams for you car HERE and then follow the link.

The following users liked this post:
jcgtveloce (03-22-2011)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is a 82ish-86 SIII
I can give you an idea. It is pretty simple. Do you need just the gauge cluster area or the entire dash & center console?

Old 08-05-2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks for your quick replies Richard and Espresso - yes it's a 1984 and I only need the gauges because the centre console is still wired up (thankfully)

Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Green wire is power to all gauges.
Red w/ White stripe is lights to gauges

All gauges are grounded to the metal bracket.

Fuel level..... is single wire Green w/ orange( may be red though). it comes off of the tank selector switch.

Water temp...... Green w/ Blue

Tach...... is White w/Blue

Oil Pressure..... is White w/ Brown

Volt.... gauge is the Green wire that powers the gauges & a Black ground wire.

Speedo is a connector & disconnects from the main harness. So wires off the gauges should not be a concern. IF you did take off the wires let me know.

I just replaced all may gauges with AutoMeters Sport Comp's so I have plenty of pics & it is still fresh in my head.

If you need any more specific info or pics just let me know. Will be glad to help.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Talking

THANK YOU! Big, big help espresso I'll be doing this later today I'll let you know how it goes
Thanks once again

Old 08-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Exclamation

Wiring up has been done but having said that... I connected the battery again, and turned on the ignition, and none of the gauges were working. So I went to start the car, and now she's not starting - I get a click click, and that's it I checked the silver box on the firewall, cleaned the contacts etc, cleaned the negative ground in the fender wheelwell, but still nothing more than click click... any ideas?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 PM

I have found that they need a minimum of 10.3V to work(yes on mine I got it down to a tenth of a volt) but I also have aftermarket power & ground wires along with gold terminals.

Sounds like you got a typical dead battery. If you do not have a DVOM, BUY ONE. You can get a decent inexpensive on at Sears for $20.
Also invest in a small 6 & 12 V 2AMP/6AMP charger from Advance or any parts store(They are called Schumacher) is a VERY valuable addition(about $30-40), it will save countless to & fro trying to get someone to jump start or paying a place to charge it for you.

Find out what you battery charge is at & once it is at full charge hook up the DVOM & see the voltage drop when cranking.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Angry

I dropped the battery off to be recharged by the local mechanics hoping to be soon after, but unfortunately... All I get is a 'click-click' still, the engine still doesn't turn over. To make matters worse, while I was reinstalling the dash, I forgot that the battery was still connected and accidentally touched the ignition switch with the spanner while I was doing up one of the nuts. Little 'poof' sound, and the entire cabin filled with heavy smoke. I inspected the ignition switch, noting two burned through wires. I had these replaced, but unfortunately the spring fell out while doing this (the spring that provides the resistance when you turn the ignition to position three)

Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 PM

Dropping off the battery again for another recharge. Thanks for your help thus far espresso

Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 PM

ignition switch..fun. Along with I am sure is a host of blown fuses(my fuse block actually melted from someone screwing with the dash wires before I got it). Intermittent starting, lights windows, gauges, etc. I replaced the glass fuses..AFTER making sure the contacts were clean & the fuses WERE NOT LOOSE

I feel you pain.

Get a hold of David at http://www.everydayxj.com/ for your switch & anything else you may need. I never used his services but have heard nothing but good about him.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Talking

The Jag has now started = ] and she runs beautifully. Thanks for all your help espresso. Unfortunately... the driver seatbelt warning light doesn't work, the handbrake now triggers the parking warning light, the handbrake light doesn't come on at all apart from when cranking, and yeah. Oh, also the right fuel tank level isn't shown on the gauge - but everything else works a treat

Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM

Your Welcome. I try to help where I can.

The right tank would be the sender unit. If you do not know how to get at it. Just remove the tail light.
Check the ground & of course the sender wire. Tightness & corrosion, etc..

What is the "parking warning light"? There should be a light that comes on with the parking brake, like you say
Driver seatbelt warning light. My car does not have one. My car used to chauffeur around royalty. So a buzzer or light that comes on like that.....thats a no-no. Not that they are dis-connected, the car was not built with them at all. SO I cannot help ya with that.

The following users liked this post:
jcgtveloce (03-22-2011)
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM

The parking light is (P) and the handbrake light is (!) - does your car have a space where the driver's seatbelt light is on our normal cars? And a couple other gremlins have come up - the left and right indicators don't show on the dashboard (but they do work in actuality), and the front and back cigar lighters aren't getting any power. The right side fuel tank still isn't indicating how much petrol is left - cleaned it out but there wasn't much to clean out (surprisingly). Any ideas?