XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio Help

Have 85 Vanden Plas, I would like to replace the radio, but I have no idea how to remove the stock one. Help please

Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

It's been a couple years since I've done one so this must not be 100% but it'll be close:

Remove trip computer. It pulls straight out from the front
Pull climate control knobs straight off
Remove slotted nuts behind the a/c knobs
Remove thin plastic bezel that surrounds radio (yours might not have one)
Remove black panel that surrounds radio
Remove two screws above the radio
Remove the wood panel: pull out slightly at the bottom, then pull down, gently
Remove four rivets (or screws) that hold the radio in
Remove radio

You'll have to disconnect the 4 switches from behind before the wood panel come clear out. Be careful of the fibre optic cables at the upper/lower temp slide control.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Remove four rivets (or screws) that hold the radio in
Remove radio
Doug

Isn't there also a bracket at the back of the radio with a small bolt onto the back of the radio to stop the whole assembly bouncing up and down ?

You get to this by taking off the side panel, I think. Of course Jaguar may have changed things between my 1980 and the 85 car here.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think the trip computer has to be removed. I don't remember doing that when I pulled the radio out. Everything else sounds familiar.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 AM

Will i need to search for certain size aftermarket radios? or a kit to install the new radio?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 AM

A standard "single-DIN" size radio will fit, using the installation sleeve that comes with it. You can use the Crutchfield website's "Outfit My Car" page under the "Shop" tab to select your car and find radios that will fit. It lists a maximum depth of 7 3/4 inches, and prescribes size codes "E, S, or U". If you have not purchased a stereo yet, you can use their catalog to verify the mounting dimensions.

E
"Euro-DIN" stereos attach from the front through the 2" tall rectangular hole in the dash, sliding into a metal sleeve that attaches to the front of the dash.

S
Similar to "U" chassis, but with a taller nosepiece or offset shafts. They fit the 3-hole dash opening in many older vehicles.

U
"Shaft-style" receivers have two knobs on either side of the tuner/tape deck. They fit the 3-hole dash opening in many older vehicles.

So, they are saying older two-knob styles would fit, but you will be looking at the "E" style when purchasing something new in most cases. I find Crutchfield's prices are higher, but they make up for it by offering good technical support, and they include car-specific instructions for installing a stereo in your car. You may want to give them a call and make sure they have these instructions for your Jag. I called them once for help, and they told me exactly what I needed, even though I didn't buy from them. I don't know if they will still help non-customers though. They also have a good explanation of their products that will help you sort out all the features and models.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:51 AM

2 of my fibre optic cables got cut during radio removal, the ones attached to the foil wraps for the temp control and fan control. Can you tell me how these can be repaired.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 PM

The cables originate from the Opticell, a lightbulb mounted to an octopus of fiber optic cables. The Opticell is mounted under the shifter surround, so if you remove the center console storage box, then the shifter surround, the Opticell will be accessible, and you can get to the other end of the fiber optic cables and replace them. I am not sure if they can be individually replaced, or if you'd have to replace them all together. Get some used ones from a junkyard. If you have a PicknPull or something in your area, you can learn on the cars there before jumping into yours.

You might be able to put some clear glue like epoxy on the broken ends and then slide some heat shrink tubing over the glued joint and carefully shrink the tubing so as not to melt the fiber.

The following users liked this post:
JagLoverT (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Default Aftermarket Radio

Originally Posted by XJ6Jagz
Will i need to search for certain size aftermarket radios? or a kit to install the new radio?
I just took my factory radio into a local stereo dealer and they are mounting a Kenwood into my original Bezel and spliced the new wires into the Jaguar Wiring Connectors. I will be installing in my car today!