XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing body sheet metal

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing body sheet metal

I need to replace both my front fenders on my 84 xj6 because of the rust, especially in the wheelwells, I also need to replace my lower rear panel and rocker panels as well, rust has just eaten right through them. Fortunately, I know where to buy these parts, but I havent the faintest idea on how to install them. If its not too hard I can do it myself but I am more inclined to take it to somebody who specializes in bodywork especially if there is welding involved. I would rather give them the parts so they wouldnt charge me an arm and a leg to get them. Any tips on where to go, or some resources on how to replace body panels would be awesome! thanks in advance!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: replacing body sheet metal

As krazyneil said, the fronts are an easy bolt on. The rocker panels are welded. It's one reason we don't sell them used. It's too labor intensive to cut them off, then they have to ship motor freight (truck) because they are too big for UPS or FedEx. The rears have bolt on portions under each tank and a bolt on rear valance that the tailpipes extend through. That shouldn't be too much work.

How bad are the rocker panels? There are chrome rocker panels that afix to the out side. Some people like them, others find it pretentious. You could cut out the rust to stop the spread and cover them with the chrome covers if there is enought metal left to hold them in place.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: replacing body sheet metal

Big sections of the rocker panels are missing, its the kind of rust where you lightly tap it and a six inch section falls off. I dont think it would be safe to just cover them. Where would I find directions or the location of the bolts for the fenders and valance? if its just bolt on I will do it myself. Thanks for the help!