XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust

Hey guys, I was wondering if any one has any tips for taking care of us rust. When I bought the car I didn't mind the rust so much because I was really looking for a cheap car and rust is common on cars around here.

However now that I've fallen in love with the car I'd like to do something to stop what I can, and try and at least clean up some of these rust spots.

I've attached some pictures of the problem. It has problems basically in these spots: front and rear windshields, front passenger side door, and right behind the drivers side rear door.

I know the windshield problems are common on these cars; and one of the spots I was hoping I'd be able to grind away/sand/primer, bondo, and repaint. However the the passenger side door really concerns me the most. I know cutting it out and welding it is probably the best option, however I don't know how to weld or have a welder. I've also thought about searching the junk yards and looking for another door, however I think that if I'm going to do that then I better take care of the rest of it too.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any success removing rust on their own cars or any suggestions. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Rust-imag0237.jpg   Rust-imag0238.jpg   Rust-imag0239.jpg   Rust-imag0240.jpg   Rust-imag0241.jpg  

Rust-imag0242.jpg   Rust-imag0243.jpg   Rust-imag0244.jpg  
Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default rust

you,ve got some serious work ahead of you. <br />
1. grind metal back with an 80 grit disc until rust free, replace metal as needed. welding up holes wont last.<br />
2. treat new and old metal to rust converter, the type that takes 24 hours and turns the bare metal blackish.<br />
3. prime with epoxy primer and repaint<br />
4. solve water issues with new glass seals and undercoatin inside wheelwells

Old 07-29-2012, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Your car looks seriously rusty. The rear wheel arch area in front of the wheel is a very common area, and you really need to check the condition of the sill below it as this is where the rear radius arm mounts up. The front screen aperture is very bad and will need the screen removing and welding new metal into the aperture, and same for rear screen.

A rusty door is not too serious, as it doesn't affect roadworthiness. Try to find a good used one if you can. Door skins may be available, but the main pressing will also need repair.

I was reasonably lucky with my 1980 Series 3, but being a lunatic (ha ha), eventually ended up replacing: -

boot floor
rear valance
rear quarter panels
trunk lid
sills (US = rocker panel) plus closing panels at the ends
front wings, plus closing panel behind
front valance

and also repairing front windscreen aperture, of course.

Good luck ! At least you now have an all-consuming hobby to keep you busy and out of mischief

Old 07-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

you need to think hard and consider that you can get a non-rusted southern or western car for less money than it will cost you to fix that one right.

keep that one for spare parts, buy one that is not rusted, you'll fall in love the same way.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I think I might try and tackle the rocker panel myself, and I'm going to get estimates on the windshields (maybe see if I can find someone on craigslist) and then I'll probably have to just ignore the problem for a while.

I would get another car but I don't even have a garage for this one and like I said I only bought it because it was cheap.

If I ever get the windshield problem taken care of then I'll look at the door. Maybe if I get a garage I can try tackle the other problems myself too, I've wanted to learn how to weld, it'll just be a while.

Thanks again guys.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I have an 87 that I believe has good doors on it. I don't know what it weighs or what the cost of shipping might be, but it might be worth looking into? Let me know if you're interested?

Old 07-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Thanks but I'll wait for the door to do last, I figure its only worth doing the door if I can solve the rest of it too. Thanks for the offer however, it'll prob be a while before I get to that part.