XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S3 Left me stranded! Came home in a tow truck.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S3 Left me stranded! Came home in a tow truck.

So, the inevitable happened. I got stranded (at a new client's office of all places! )

Background: I had just changed the fuel pump for the second time the day before due to debris/rust from the tank damaging the first. I decided to put in a small in-line fuel filter BEFORE the pump (came out clean after the incident). Needless to say, drove very well with the new pump. I did not however change the main fuel filter after the pump.

Drove there 100% (around 15km/10mi from my home). Parked turned it off, went into my meeting. Came back out, it would crank, start for a split second and die. Sometimes not start at all, but crank like it wants to start. I tried to change to the old (still working but noisy) fuel pump there on the spot. No luck.

I'm obviously 99% sure it's a fuel supply problem and not electrical (I obviously have spark). What, other than the clogged main fuel filter which I will change today could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 AM

Ok so the problem is solved. New fuel filter DID NOT help (well it helped a little, the engine would actually idle for about 20 seconds at about 200-300rpm.

I removed the air filter assembly, and I saw the AFM latch was not opening. If I opened it by hand the engine would start idling normally!

Bingo! I found the bloody rubber pipe on the engine side had actually come loose! There was obviously not enough vacuum to operate the latch in the AFM. Refitted and all is well again.

This Jaguar never ceases to surprise (annoy) me!

The following users liked this post:
Ahabiam (07-15-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice! Only 5 hours from first post to resolution! Thanks for sharing to expand the knowledge available here.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

At least the repair didn't cost anything. Not sure about the towing bill :-)

The ducting downstream of the AFM has no doubt been the recipient of many curses.

Good work on sussing out the problem.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-13-2013, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default nno shame there....

I work for many new car dealership and new cars come back on trailers sometimes too. Quite often I witness a very well dressed "sofisticate" climb out of the passenger side of a dirty tow truck totally irate that their new 70k BMW let them down....again!

Last edited by icsamerica; 07-13-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 AM

Thanks guys. True, new cars sometimes break down too. Just from everything I read, I didn't expect to be left stranded by the SIII. Although, had I opened my eyes a little better, I would have fixed it and been on my way in 3 minutes flat. All I had to do was refit the pipe and tighten the clamp.

Luckily the AA footed most of the towing bill! haha! I must admit thoughts of selling the Jag and buying a Toyota crossed my mind more than once!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Default tow car ride home

As my steeds are experienced, my major tools are my cell phone and AAA membership.

I've been stranded a few times in recent years. I rescued my self with roadside fixes in two of them.

One got me a boost for a depleted battery. The other two were flat bed rides. One right up the road!!! Once home, the fix came quickly. Blown fuel pump relay. The other one far worse. Blown DOHC about a hundred miles away!! Hot summer month. The tow guy was great, but his rig had no AC! Once home, late wife provided a supply of cold ice tea for his return. Two tow benefits covered the bill, around a couple of hundred!!! Took my AAA card for most of it and cash for the overage. Recovered by me later.

I still have tool boxes with basic rescue tools in each. But, the complexity of each old car has made them far less useful.

My Jeep starter pooped out in neaby San leandro. A couple of whacks with my shilealeagh got a crank and a start. Got hoem. Changed out starter and all is well again.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:50 PM

Sounds rough! Yeah, I reckon AA membership is a good thing to have if you like the older cars. Suppose the drive is worth all the anguish (or is it!?). :-)

Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yes, it sure is. And, I haven't made a car payment since the late eighties. Sure do like that aspect!!

I do wish my cars were 74 or earlier, than I wouldn't have to SMOG them every two years. I would delight in that!!

Carl

Old 07-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

my jaguar left my wife stranded once when the old coil was going haywire, but its never let me down or her since then, and we've both used it as our daily driver. Now... My "trusty american made" Buick LeSabre has stranded me about four times, transmission issues fuel delivery, radiator hoses exploding a little bit of everything. same with my "bullet proof" toyota camry, transmision radiator, alternator hood flying off going 60mph. I've learned a cars reputation means nothing... any car can be reliable or a nightmare depending on who owned it and how it was maintained.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Over 17 years and 3 Jags I've been on a tow truck only once....and it was MY fault! I left a harness only partially connected after doing some engine cleaning! Gah !

We can find good and bad in all makes.

My experience with Hondas, for example, has been quite good. BUT.....my 2005 Civic (110k mies now) has needed a head gasket, wheel bearings, water pump, a new seat belt, and assorted other fixes. The door trim panels are falling apart. The suspension struts are clunking. The radio crapped out. Blah blah blah. Still, though, I think Hondas are generally good cars.

To a certain degree, no matter what we drive, we simply have to take an attitude of "It's a car. Things break. **** happens".

I'll add that my oldest daughter drives an '05 Doge Neon. They're supposed to have a terrible reputation. In 120k miles the only actual *repairs* it has needed are one set of plug wires, one windshield washer pump, and one engine sensor....I can't even remember which one it was but it cost only about $30. It's not much of a car compared to a Jag (or just about anything else) but it's actually been a little gem for her.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Amen Doug

Old 07-16-2013, 04:02 AM

Yesterday I'm driving to the airport to drop off my brother in law. The damn intake pipe came loose again! This time I knew what it was fixed it and was on my way (not before putting grease on my beige linen pants!).

Not sure why it keeps coming off, I'm going to buy a new clamp maybe the old one is suspect.