Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Searching for a nice XJ6 in Middle Tenn

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Searching for a nice XJ6 in Middle Tenn

Hello All,
A few weeks ago we joined while in the midst of hunting for a XJ8. Since then "we" ( wife) have decided that a 6 suites her er our tastes. It will likley replace my Lotus and my driver for use at club events. We are a drinking club with a car problem.
Been looking but series III with documentation of maintinanace are few. I can travel to almost anywhere an airline lands with check in hand and hope to drive it home.
Any members have any leads or a car that might be a candidiate. Clean Carfax helps, color not significant, but history about timing chain tensioners, brake service, waterpump, tappet followers are important. Looking for a nice cruiser and local show quality car.
Fell free to contact me off net at pwtrusty@yahoo.com
Phil
72 Lotus Elan +2
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
a couple of drivers and a truck

Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

Hi Phil...

Gordon Tompkins has had one advertized for a while...
It's not cheap, but I can tell you that if he says it's nice, it's really nice....
No affiliation, only know him through a longtime parts sells relationship...

You can see his ad here:
http://jagads.jag-lovers.org/dad.php?aid=23266

If that isn't exactly what you are looking for, let me know and I can try to remember what else I've heard about recently...

David
EverydayXJ.com

Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Default Search for a XJ6

Hello David,
Thanks for the referal. Mr Thomkins car looks to be a nice one. Will check Jaglovers site more often.
But it had to be all the way in California. Anywhere east of the Rockies is a fly-in, inspect close and drive away. But the far west coast means flyin, inspect, arrange shipping and fly home. There have been and are a few 84-87 6's in this half of the world with under a 75K miles and priced under 7,500. They got away, had a known mechanical issue or had ifffy carfax and no maintiance records. So far I have flown in to be met at the airport by a dealer just to have the the car break on the way to delivery to me. A second dealer, last week. the car was found to have mysteriously lost its odometer when I arrived to close. This will not be easy, but it is not our first or sixth car so I can look. Clean, under 100k miles, good history, not picky about color, VNP, base or L. I should be able to find one under a 1000 miles from Nashville for about $7,000. There seems to be a few jokers in the lot.
I do have a 72 Lotus Elan+2 freshly restored for sale. She insist we keep her Mazdaspeed Miata.
Thx again
Phil pwtrusty@yahoo.com

Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 AM

I was looking through Craigslist this AM, and in Raleigh NC there was a car with less than 70K miles for $3700...
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2214163512.html

Never seen the car, and I don't know it's history or anything about it.

Timing chain tensioners are something most referred to as a problem on the 98-2000 XJ8... You seldom hear of any concerns with timing chains or tensioners on the old XK engine (that I'm aware of)...

Waterpumps are a simple fix on these cars. Probably a 2 hour job at most,with no special tools at all... Less than $200 will have you going. Not much of a concern...
Past overheating issues - big concern....

Brakes are a headache if you have to do any caliper work on the rear, otherwise everything is pretty straight forward.

Tappet Stakedown is a biggie, but then again not a tough job. It's always good to have them, but not necessarily a red flag if they aren't installed. Kits are about $125, no idea on installation. You'll get some tappet noise anyhow...

If I were looking for something really nice, I'd be primarially concerned with body issues... Rust and Paint are some big problems, costing alot to fix....
Most of the other repairs can be done for far less than $1K... and probably will be an issue on any 25 year old car...
These cars like to be driven, so low miles doesn't always equal good car. As you said initally, maintaince is a huge consideration...

David
EverydayXJ.com

Old 02-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Default XJ6 Hunt

Thx Dave,
I will look into this one. Found one in Loganville ( Atlanta) and three in Stauton, Il. Can these cars be safely dollied for any distance? A full car hauler is a bit more than my SUV can pull easily. If the Jag rear wheels are on a dolly or can I secure thye fronst to the dolly and hurry home with my new prize?
Phil
72 Lotus Ealn +2 ( just drove it through the country and have decided yto keep it)
05 Mazdaspeed
a couple of other drivers and a truck

Old 02-17-2011, 05:30 PM

I think if I were to consider pulling one on a dolly, I'd probably disconnect the drive train and pull with the fronts on the dolly....
I pull all of my cars with a Chev 2500HD and a custom car hauler... Even with that going over the mountains puts a pull on it.. 4400 pounds is a heavy car...

The Uhaul car trailers work pretty good. They have pnumatic brakes instead of electric, and aide in stopping pretty well... Plus they are low to the ground...
If you think you can swing it, I'd go for one of those over the dolly....

Most anything can pull it, stopping is a different matter...

Another good option is Uship.com, where people bid on your shipment.
I've acted as a bidder on shipments in the past, and got talked down well below a $1 per mile... almost breaking even...
You may check into that as an option too once you find the right car.

David
EverydayXJ.com

Old 03-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 xj6

I have a 1986 XJ6 Series 111 with 66,000 kilometers on it or about 41,000 miles.
I am the second owner and have had the car for over 20 years. It has never seen winter and rain on only a few occasions. I have complete documentation on the car from the time I purchased it. It has absolutely no rust but the paint had lots of cracks which is very common for the older Jaguars. I had the car stripped down, windows and chrome removed and had it repainted the original Windsor Blue less than 2 years ago(Base coat/Clear coat). I also had the headliner replaced. The insulation under the hood was also replaced(I damaged it when I power washed under the hood). I also installed new Pirelli tires. I have pictures taken before ,during and after the paint work was done. The interior is in beautiful condition and everything works Air included. The car appraised for $20,000 before the work was done. If your interested my e-mail address is william.cain@rogers.com. I have never advertised the car for sale but I would sell if the price was right.

Regards
Bill

Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Have you considered an X300 ? These have probably the best engine Jaguar ever made, (the AJ-16), and it is a six cylinder. These are fairly rare cars as they were only made for a very short period from 1994 to 1997 in the UK when the same-looking, but very different X308 came out.

The old XK engines of the last of the Series 3 saloons were really way past their sell-by dates then, (I had an '80 by the way). Front suspension is almost the same as the Series 3 and the rear suspension is a bit different, but all easily repairable. Only thing with the X300s is the rear bumpers can fall off due to corrosion on the two mounts, but again not expensive to fix, just a nuisance.

The XJ40s have the six, but IMHO don't look so good, but the later years under Ford are pretty well made, but obviously not perfect.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:42 PM

I'm not quite sure mine is for sale, but my wife is looking at cars again. Email sent.....

Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Phil T:

You can be sitting in Pulaski in 45 minutes. Kalahari's car (in the pictures) is gorgeous.

Don't forget to take your checkbook.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Default XJ6 in Middle Tenn

Hello Again,
If Kalahan is considering parting with his ( her) XJ6 for a new stewart, Please let me know. I have identifed an XJR in KY, a 87 6 in SC and a 99 VNP here in Nashville I have just heard about. I have cash money and can move quickly, after seeing a dozen cars ( mostly tired and rusty) nice ones are few .
Phil

Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 PM

Ok the wife finally decided on the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, so since the Jag is the odd man out. She is most definately for sale.